Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen anything good posted about them. new bike i'm buying for my fiancee is coming with them. I'm buying an xl full suspensino bmc speedfox and moving the parts over to a santa cruz juliana for her. I may just try to sell the bmc frame but as an XL it will definately fit me so realistically since the price was so good, I will build it up. One of us is going to end up with those elixir brakes. Fiancee isn't new to mtb but a lot of road bike experience. she will probably never get into riding anything crazy aggressive and we live in florida so it's a lot of flat ground with minimal need for hard braking. I'm wondering if I really need to just stay away from them altogether. Ideally, I'd score a set of SLX brakes at a good price somewhere.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I've got two sets that I've had zero issues with.

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
Setup can be more of a hassle, noisy, can require a bleed too often and then still don't operate properly, poor modulation/on-off action. So I've heard, anyway.

I have a set of OEM Elixers on a 2010 Stumpy and Juicy 5s on a hard tail and they have been flawless, requiring only new pads in over 3-4 seasons of riding. Good modulation, no noisier than some Shimano brakes I've seen on rides.

·
GONE
25,541 Posts
I've only had experience with Elixirs. They are nearly impossible or at least extremely difficult to dial in so that they do not groan, moan or squeal. They also seem to come out of adjustment easily. The pads wear down faster (and they are thinner right out of the package) than other makes, too.

I can't believe that there is another thread on this topic. This has to be some kind of record.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had 2 sets of Code brakes. Both sucked. Absolutely ZERO modulation. I mentioned that to many of my friends who were interested in these brakes, and as soon as they hopped on my bike to see what the brakes felt like, they all said forget it, and looked for different brakes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Elixir 5 set is annoying. I do like the modulation though. I think Shimano's are more on/off than Avid hydros. I have to bleed my brakes every 1 - 2 months and pad stiction is a constant issue. Since the pistons don't retract enough the rotor is never centered and is always dragging. If you reposition the caliper to remove the rub the pistons realign themselves to rub. My current method of keeping them operating is a shot of brake cleaner, then a spray of Isopropyl alcohol, and then a spray of water. After 10 rides or so the lever will be getting pulled to the bar and it's time to pull air out. They've never failed on the trail however. They just seem to always be on a downward trajectory with each subsequent ride.

OTOH my riding buddies are on Elixir 1 sets without any issues.

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
Elixers are shite, came stock with my reign, they have a history of being poorly set from the factory, they get full of air n water easy, id never buy a pair, shimano leave them for dead.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Avid hydros are supposed to be horrible. But there's a set of 1's on my wife's bike, and a set of XO's on my bike, and neither set is anywhere near as noisy or as much trouble as "everyone" on MTBR seems to make them out to be. In general I expect to bleed a set of brakes once a year whether they need it ....no, seriously, only when they need it - and as far as noise, only when they've gotten wet do the brakes on either bike make any noise. Note that on my bike, I don't use stock rotors, and have been told that's why my XO's are quiet.

Anyhow, anyone who wants low maintenance disc brakes should stick with BB7's, anytime you add complexity, you'll add to service needs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't believe that there is another thread on this topic. This has to be some kind of record.
Well fwiw I did search some but I was curious about more current versions. Seema these complaints go back several years so I'm wondering if the newer versions are better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Never Forget 9-11
434 Posts
Avids on all three bikes. Found that doing a proper bed in according to the Avid instructions works wonders.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have friends with them who have never had problems or have had to bleed them. I'm not so lucky, I have the Elixir 3's. I've had to frequently bleed them which is a pain in the ass with the Avid design. I finally found out the seal in the caliper is leaking brake fluid after 5 months of use (came stock on my new Shinobi). I am waiting on new ones through warranty.

Also, Avid syringes they sell to bleed them really suck. You can't pull back hard enough on the syringe to pull out air, or if you do, it leaks air into the syringe and system where the tube is connected to the syringe. Then you have to start all over again. Talk about frustrating, I invented new cuss words during that whole deal. The $55 syringes (with the black seals) they sell are a complete rip off and Avid should be ashamed they sell them. They are useless. You need the shop grade syringes they sell to do the job.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I got my Elixir 5s back in 2010 and my new bike came with Elixir 1s last year. They work great when they're working, installation of the 5s was easy, and pad changes on the old ones were pretty easy until recently.

With the old ones, the last two pad changes have required a bleed to help deal with a sticky piston in the rear caliper.

My old mechanic thought Shimano was doing a better job. If I was buying a new set of brakes, I might give them a shot. I didn't replace them when they came stock though, and as long as they're working fine, I won't. May buy the bleed kit when I do my next parts order, though.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Really, really, piss poor quality control. Once in a while you'll find a set of Avids that works and stays working for more than a couple years. Most of them have issues of some sort; whether it's bad bleeds fresh from the factory, leaking seals, improperly installed hoses, sticky pistons & levers, and of course the infamous turkey gobble. The odds of getting a lemon are just way too high. Put it this way, one of my local shops goes through a large container of DOT fluid in under a year. They still have the shop jug of Shimano fluid from when I worked there 14 years ago, and it's still about 2/3 full.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
I had 5 good years on a set of Juicy 5's.....hated to get rid of them, but they wore out and it wasn't cost efficient to repair them.

Wife has 3 good years going on a set of Juicy Carbons.

Suffered through 2.5 years of Elixir R's.....yes, they required constant bleeding. SRAM warrantied them with X.0 Trails. 6 Months so far without any issues.

·
Magically Delicious
9,822 Posts
Interesting to note that some folks have never had any problems with the Avid's while others have constant problems. My personal observation is really simple. I have found that if you've never experienced problems...GREAT! Consider yourself lucky. But, I have also discovered for those who began to have problems with the Avid's, the problem was an ongoing, seemingly never ending quest to correct. I have gone great circle with Elixers and Shimano's. I can bleed the Elixers as good as anyone and get them working for a short while. I struggled constantly to quite the incessant noise they produced with no success.

Finally fed up, I ponied up and installed XT's and what a revelation! WTF was I thinking in sticking with those effin' Elixers? So this is what a brake is supposed to be! Maintenance free and quite! I'll never go back.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,817 Posts
1 - 20 of 98 Posts