Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of 661 knee pads, Evo and Evo Lite XC, and a pair of gloves. I really like the way everything fits and performs but sewing on every single item is crap. They fall apart so fast it's not even funny! :madman:

·
Registered
436 Posts
how about some facts ? like, when were they new ? how many rides and falls?
got some pics ? what about the warranty on craftsmanship, and have you tried to get this resolved with the company ? what did their customer service do ?
I would like to know for future reference
B

·
Registered
560 Posts
I tried to get a pair of their EVO gloves warrantied after 4 days of riding at my local resort. These gloves retail for $70.00 and they completely fell apart at 3 of the seams. I sent them off to the distributer and they basically laughed at me for sending gloves in to try and get warrantied. They claimed that thay are a 'wear and tear' item. I've had gloves last the best part of the season that only cost me $20. Some of the 661 stuff is good, some of it is crap. They don't seem to stand behind their products.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My pads have held up over a year. I hand wash and hang dry all 661 gear as I fear the washer would destroy them. My complaint with 661 evo stuff is that it doesn't stay in place when I crash. It does take the initial impact, but when I slide the pad moves and I get tattoo'd.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've had three pairs of 661 gloves that disintegrated with 3 weeks. My knee/shin guards look like a 12 year old stitched them together, right out of the box, (and not one of those highly trained sweat shop 12 yr olds...) especially around the velcro straps. (Although I will say they've held up for two years and are now a spare/backup)

I agree w/the OP that their stuff looks great and fits just as good but as far as quality goes, I'll have to say no to 661.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Evo knee pads are just over a year old. I didn't use them all summer because I was mainly trail riding and they were to hot. They maybe had 4 months of cold weather use, so maybe 1-2 rides a week. I noticed that a seam just let loose. I noticed this after I had purchased my other two 661 items. I emailed them and got zero response.

My gloves have had maybe 10-12 rides on them. Again the seam is opening up where the palm leather attaches to the wrist velcro. I got out the needle and tread and sewed it back together. Didn't even bother with customer service after my new pads.

Since evo pads are pretty hot so I got some evo lites. I broke my patella riding the grocery getter last fall so I want knee protection all the time now. I noticed that one of the Velcro tabs is only sewed on 3 of the 4 sides.

Bottom line- the pads and gloves are very comfortable for me and I like the protection however the stitching is not done properly and the products 3 out of 3 for me are not holding together after very light use.

661's customer service is also non-existent.

So if you buy it you better learn to sew.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Or spend the extra money (and many times less money than 661) for a better product. $70 for knee pads, gas money to and from the tailor, and what ever the fee is from the tailor... No thank you. Stop buying 661, problem solved.

·
Registered
436 Posts
wow, 661 gets no plus scores for customer service. Wear and tear is subject to speculation. But, seems that just don't hold in non contact areas should be covered as manufacturer defect for sure. No 661 for me from these reviews here.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dankist4x4 said:
Stop buying 661, problem solved.
I know. My problems with the first set of knee pads didn't come up until I had already bought the other two items.I don't have experience with any other 661 products but I'm not going to find out if their other stuff falls apart as fast.

Don't be like me. I'm just some poor sucker who plopped down a couple hundred dollars to get some of the most expensive equipment in the market place only to find out that 661 can't sew and have been forsaken by the company that was so excited to take my money.

This thread as been cathartic for me, speaking of thread, better get back to sewing my pads back together.

·
No Clue Crew
7,093 Posts
My 661 Kyle Strait's have performed well for maybe 18 months now. They're starting to fall apart now, but I feel like I got my money's worth and they've done their job.

I had 661 Evo gloves. They fell apart after three rides. Bought 'em from Pricepoint, who gladly took them back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got a brand new 661 Core saver and about the time I got it home. 3 of the snap buttons for the removable back plate pieces had broken off. I contacted 661 (one industries) and was told to return it and get another one they didn't keep replacement pieces in stock. I dont know about your LBS but not many have these and most don't have more then one per size. I like the item but can't wait for another company to make something like it so I can ditch the 661 core saver.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm on my second pair of 661 gloves, I wore the raji's for about 4 months and now my brother has been using them. I just got some new 401's and like them as well.
I have only been paying about $25-30 a pair from my LBS but I like the fit and I've gotten my use out of them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good grief

Has no one made the association yet that :6+6+1=1? What do yo expect to happen sporting that numerology around? There are forces behind the scenes working here.

·
Red tires
8 Posts
Their wrist pads are indestructible and favored for my own technical downhill. But otherwise, TROY LEE, TROY LEE, TROY LEE...

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
ive had my 661 comp gloves for almost a year. only issue is the velcro on the left wrist has come unsewn a little.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I actually think that the more expensive stuff is worse than the cheaper stuff. I've seen more people complain about the Evo line than anything else.

I have some basic gloves that are fine after one season, may have to replace them after this season, we'll see. I have almost new Kyle Strait pads that are holding up nice after 8 or so rides.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,187 Posts
I have Kyle Straits and they are holding up pretty good. A bit of wear at the knee sides. They stay put ok, but do tend to move on occasion and I've the tatts to show when the did move. If I put the KS on with my Evo shin pads, then they don't move, offer great protection and get kinda warm. Seams etc are good on the shinpads.

I also have Evo elbows. These offer good protection - problem is they move - both in a crash and just coming down the hill. Seams are still good.

The KS, Evo elbow and Evo shin are almost 3 years old.

I did pick up an Evo pressure suit a while back for a bit more than 1/2 off from CRC. Test fitted, but not worn in anger.
Inspection shows all seams are good - bit sloppy in places but no stray threads, or loose places. Time will tell.

As for gloves, I have a pair of Fox Digits that are going on 3 years with no split seams so far. Must be a record, cause most bike gloves last 6 months. However, for HD gloves, nothing beats a Mechanix style work glove. Available in many configurations and they are tough and comfy.

michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts