Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I keep a blog about different rides or experiences we have on the trail.

In reading his post today while it is raining, I read the sentence... "It (biking) is about staying connected with myself. Change is good, bigger can be better, but with all the change we cannot lose the spirit that brought us into the sport, the reason we ride."

ONE TRAIL AT A TIME...: It's not about the size

With all of the marketing and wheel size debates and new tech, I often think how crazy it all is and sometimes lose sight of why I love riding.

I mean, I am grateful for new tech as much as the next guy, but riding is not about the newest and best for me. So, I started thinking why I start riding and thought I would pass that question on to you guys...

Why do you bike?

·
Just Ride
285 Posts
Pure love for the outdoors,
Pure love for the sport,
It has become a part of me as breathing air!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Freedom. Freedom from the daily grind of school and life. Few things can actually take you to a different place and let you become one with yourself. Riding is one of those things.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pleasure and be c ause its fun and on sat I will be riding with a team of 4 in a 24hr race called the mont here in australia at our nations capitol Canberra also called the kow as its raced in kowan forest by a company called selfpropelledindustries (pretty cool name )

·
26 for life.
549 Posts
Ahh, Kowan.
Can't believe it's been so long since the 06 24 there. My mother died while I was on the way up there from Tas, but she sure as hell wouldn't me to ditch my team (top 20 in open men).

·
Registered
67 Posts
With all of the marketing and wheel size debates and new tech, I often think how crazy it all is and sometimes lose sight of why I love riding.
My Dad passed away a year or so ago aged 83. When he was young he used to do long tours, (as in weeks), on a very heavy steel framed 3 speed Sturmey Archer. A few months before he died I asked him how hard it was riding around with full camping kit with only three gears. He then told me the Sturmey Archer was broken when he bought the bike and he only ever had 2 gears !! He could never get it fixed. At the time I was building a 29er for bikepacking and was agonising over the decision between an 8 speed or 11 speed Alfine. Brought it all back in perspective a bit !!! Just grab a bike and enjoy the ride !!!:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seemed like a better idea than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick...

Though come to think of it that very thing has happened more than once while riding.

You know, you make an excellent point! I should quit riding and find another sport that does not involve being jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Seemed like a better idea than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick...

Though come to think of it that very thing has happened more than once while riding.

You know, you make an excellent point! I should quit riding and find another sport that does not involve being jabbed in the eye with a sharp stick!
You could just wear eye protection. :)

I ride because it's fun and makes me feel peaceful inside. I love the feeling of peace I get from being outside riding for hours at a time. I don't get that cooped up inside all day.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I started riding about 4 years ago to get in shape (EDIT - funny, I went back and read the original post after writing this reply and my original bike was definitely too small for me, kind of the opposite experience).

By 3 years ago I was riding to get in better shape and to get faster. Then last year it clicked, and I started paying attention to how I was riding and being able to handle technical climbing/descending, getting over obstacles, doing my first jumps and drops.

So far this year the new thing has been helping with new purpose-built mountain bike trails. Can't hardly wait for the rainy season to end and see how I progress.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used to ride bmx back in high school and "graduated" to mountain bikes when I moved out of the house. I needed a job and had an old Raleigh (this was 1990) and heard that Domino's delivered on a bike. Strapped a rack and a flat piece of board on top and voila instant delivery system. Depending on where and how far I had to go, I was faster than a car. I was already in shape and this just improved my urban assault skills. Fast forward 20 years and I worked with a guy I got along with well. I asked him what he did for fun and he said "mountain bike." The story goes on from there to now.

I ride for fitness, the adrenaline rush and for riding with friends. Plus I like to ride alone at times. I can get away from everyone and not have to talk to them and it isn't rude if I ignore you. I can just blame it on "I didn't hear you" or "I was concentrating on my line." I don't have to answer the phone, I don't have to answer inane questions, and I can yell and curse if I am enjoying myself. The gear acquisition process is nice too. Installing new parts is always good and I enjoy hunting the right one and the bargain over prices if it somewhere like pinkbike or craig's list.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts