Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking and am curious why you ride the bike(s) you ride. We all have different likes and dislikes with bike frames and the components we put on them. Our riding preferences are different some like FS bikes and others HT with gears or without gears. Some have both to suit every need.

Me.....I used to have a 26" HT SS and a 4" FS. I had always ridden the FS and HT geared bikes in the years past. Once I got the 26" HT ss, life changed. I now ride a 29" SS HT and again, life changed. I ride SS because of the simplicity of it. I don't find it any harder than riding gears. Infact, I think it is easier. I like not thinking about what gear I am in. it also takes me back to BMX bike riding days. I ride SS because I feel like it is all me on the climbs and not the gear I am in. Sometimes it's all me walking up those climbs too. I have lost the desire to own or ride a FS bike I have lost the desire to have gears. There are times when I wish I had a FS bike but the number of times I would use it would be few. But, that is just my preference. I like to ride 29" SS HT bikes!!! Oh and I like to eat Life cereal too !!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Konapdlr said:
I have been thinking and am curious why you ride the bike(s) you ride. We all have different likes and dislikes with bike frames and the components we put on them. Our riding preferences are different some like FS bikes and others HT with gears or without gears. Some have both to suit every need.
[/FONT]
Uhhh.... you wanna know this for ALL 6 of 'em???

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
well sh!t

i can't sleep so...
kona explosif 26er - a good solid yet light hardtail. great tubeset.
specialized sirrus - commuter. light, cheap and on sale.
ghetto fixie crossbike - bar hopper, canal crits, mayhem. cheap.
unit 2-9 - wanted a 29er for a trip on the azt, an ss, and a good geometry for running a 100mm fork.
next up i think is a bianchi volpe crossbike since i'll get clearance for roadbikes before mtbs and it has eyelets for a rack and is steel so i can tour with it in the future. and it's cheap.

·
Something goes here...
2,055 Posts
My sig says it all...

(Soon to be added: 29er SS...the just for fun ride)

·
Meatpuppet
536 Posts
97 Jamis Dakar w/Noleen coil over fork - because it was $400
(?) Rattle canned black Diamondback SS - Because it was FREE

Having just as much fun, going just as fast, as folks on $2000 jobbies - PRICELESS

·
Meatbomb
7,629 Posts
I only have one bike. KHS Rage FS. I bought it off a buddy that was upgrading. It's nothing fancy but it works for me.

if I ever get to ride it again that is :(

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I ride a Foes Mono with a Boxxer. Why? It was cheap and I like bikes with a lot of travel. Price usually dictates what I ride, except for my bike before this one, but that was because it was a dream bike I had always wanted.

I usually buy used bikes, so if I see something that looks good and the price is right, I buy it.

KavuRider

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Konapdlr said:
I like to ride 29" SS HT bikes!!!
You still ride bikes. I thought you moved to Alaska or something.

I don't really know why I like to ride my 29er single speed more than anything else. Unlike most others, I admit that I like the "pub" I get as a single speeder. My bike weighs 28 pounds, so it can't be the weight. I am not a simple person, so it cannot be the simplicity of it. I guess it's all for the "pub" and attention. It's an explanation that fits well with my Me, Me, Me personality.

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dirdir said:
I am not a simple person, so it cannot be the simplicity of it. quote]

I am not either. But, that is one reason why I like SSing. It gives me a chance and time to get away from all the crap in life and have things simple for a bit. Once I am done riding it is back to all my drama in life.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why, why, why...

Seems with the exception of Dirdir and the OP, everyone is talking about the brand and such, not why ride and why ride what they ride, beyond cheap, etc. Hmmm.... I think I got it, but who knows. Anyway, being in the WAY early stages with Parkinsons, I ride, the doc said it is necessary to be active, and running sucks. Seriously, anyone see a runner actually smile while they run? Cyclists do it all the time. Used to ride A LOT a long time ago, and it is a great feeling to be out and free while rolling. As for my choices, got 3, really, and like them all for different reasons.

F/S, gears, like it because sometimes I can just granny-grind up something, and coming down, the extra gears are nice, as in go fast! Also, the suspension is nice, 'cuz sometimes gettin' old the bumps and rough really can be felt!

29'r SS, well, a certain someone talked me into that, and I like it because it is really quiet, and very simplistic, no gears to think about changing, just ride. It is very enjoyable to me when riding solo to ride this bike, quiet, smooth. Not fully sold on it, won't give up the others, but do like it. Definitely something about the 29'r part, maybe F/S 29'r gears in near future???!!!

Last one, the DH rig. I drove shuttles last spring fling, and just watched them, having fun, riding, etc. Looked like something I could do, and looked fun. After talking to a lot of the hooligans, decided to go for it, and riding it is pure enjoyment. Not all gravity, lots of pedalling at times, but a blast. I suck, but that isn't an issue riding with this bunch. Got the great fortune to be riding with 2 of the better (best), and they work with me, encourage me, push me (not in a bad way), but support me. So riding the DH is a sense of freedom that can only be experienced doing it. The times spent on the DH always brings a smile to me, and that's why I ride it.

That's why I ride what I ride.

·
EDR
10,259 Posts
I ride my bike with gears and rear supsension b/c I can't afford to own a bike for every occasion. So......I bought the best bike I could find that fit the bill. SS is not an option at this stage in my riding, like many, I'm just not to that point. I started 4 years ago on a Trek hard tail then went to a 4'' travel bike with steep geometry. Now I enjoy a bike that does it all very well (for me).....it has gears and more travel and is overkill for many trails, but great for many others.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Konapdlr said:

Me.....I used to have a 26" HT SS and a 4" FS. I had always ridden the FS and HT geared bikes in the years past. Once I got the 26" HT ss, life changed. I now ride a 29" SS HT and again, life changed. I ride SS because of the simplicity of it. I don't find it any harder than riding gears. Infact, I think it is easier. I like not thinking about what gear I am in. it also takes me back to BMX bike riding days. I ride SS because I feel like it is all me on the climbs and not the gear I am in. Sometimes it's all me walking up those climbs too. I have lost the desire to own or ride a FS bike I have lost the desire to have gears. There are times when I wish I had a FS bike but the number of times I would use it would be few. But, that is just my preference. I like to ride 29" SS HT bikes!!! Oh and I like to eat Life cereal too !!!

Werd! Except I don't have BMX riding days.

My story:
Rode a 26" HT gearie for years. Bought a Mt Tam 29er in late 2002. Decided to try the SS thing on the 26er , figured if I like it... cool, if not its probably going to sit in the garage anyways. I liked the 26er SS a bit more than the 29er gearie. One day the 26er SS's frame broke. Someone (I think it was yetisurly) recommended to SS the 29er. After a bit of resistance, I gave it a shot and never went back.

Current rides:
Dambala 29er SS
Supercaliber 29er SS (with ENO eccentric hub)
Trek Liquid 20
Gary Fisher Sugar 2 (26er)
Nishiki road bike (SS)
Cannondale road tandem

1 - 20 of 38 Posts