Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a service kit from sr Suntour for my Aion 35. It comes with everything I need for the service but when I try to find the amount of oil to put in, all I can find is that none of their forks need oil, only grease. What is the oil for and if I need it then how much do I put in? I’ve done rockshox services before and they seem similar to this but I can’t figure this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've been using whatever synthetic motor oil I have left over from oil changes for the last decade with no issues. If you're feeling fancy they also have fork specific oils too, but for the lower legs all that really matters is some sort of lubrication which doesn't react with the fork internals.

In terms of volume, I'll usually eyeball about 20 ml per side.

Edit: My take on oil in the fork lowers was based on my history with Rockshox and Fox forks and does not apply to Suntour forks. As per JohnnyC7's post, if necessary check with with them for more information.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
I would contact SR through their website - I have found them really good.

I definitely wouldn't put 20ml of oil in there, I think you will find the forks originally shipped with oil in the lowers but it would all get ingested in to the damper and blow the cartridge (every brand has been through this flaw at some point) . So the current spec is to run only grease to avoid it. Maybe the service kit is older stock from before they changed the recommendation

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would contact SR through their website - I have found them really good.

I definitely wouldn't put 20ml of oil in there, I think you will find the forks originally shipped with oil in the lowers but it would all get ingested in to the damper and blow the cartridge (every brand has been through this flaw at some point) . So the current spec is to run only grease to avoid it. Maybe the service kit is older stock from before they changed the recommendation
My apologies, I am mistaken, I was looking at the service manuals and videos afterwards and you're right, no oil is mentioned. If that's the case I would be more inclined to use a thinner grease like slick honey to lubricate the seals.

Looking at the damper design it looks like a separate cartridge damper which shouldn't have that issue, but if the mfg says no bath oil, then follow what they say.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
My apologies, I am mistaken, I was looking at the service manuals and videos afterwards and you're right, no oil is mentioned. If that's the case I would be more inclined to use a thinner grease like slick honey to lubricate the seals.

Looking at the damper design it looks like a separate cartridge damper which shouldn't have that issue, but if the mfg says no bath oil, then follow what they say.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Yeah it's cartridge dampers that are the problem, no seal is perfect so bath oil slowly gets ingested until the point where the cartridge gets hydraulic locked. Most brands have developed to the point where the ingress is slow enough that it wont be a problem over the space of the service interval and either use a bladder (which isn't a catastrophic failure when it bursts) or a self-bleeding spring backed IFP. But dampers with a rigid body like the suntour have no "safety" mechanism so if they're saying no oil, go with that.

But yeah slick honey is perfect

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.