Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountain biking, backcountry skiing, whitewater, climbing ladders and using chain saws are all dangerous things and everyone will eventually do some serious damage doing stuff like this (some would add in base jumping, big wave surfing, and a host of other pursuits).

Now, I'm old and less robust than I used to be. I have hurt so many places that I walk like a 100 year old for the first 20 steps in the morning. The latest was Monday when I went OTB to the left. I've injured my left hip badly and really hope I don't need another hip replacement (I wrecked the right hip skiing in January 2020 and got a new hip last October).

I seem to need danger in what I pursue. All my sports are not golf style but come with the risk of serious injury and death. I've had five major injuries skiing now - my right hip replaced, my right knee putting me on crutches for a month, my left thumb ruined by skier's thumb, a bad concussion from a falling branch, and a neck muscle that got severe whiplash and still hurts at times. This recent hip pain is the most serious injury I've had mtb but there's a long trail of roadrash, bruises, pulled muscles, and slices in my past.

So, why do we do these things when there are safe sports out there like golf, pickle ball, and badminton? I guess it's just part of me and part of all of us who do kinetic sports.

· Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
I'm 45. Right hip replaced 3 years ago, left hip feeling like the right one started to before the replacement, which is causing me to walk differently, causing my left knee and lower back to hurt from compensating. When I usually ride, I have at least one close call to taking a decent spill, if not an actual spill. I seem to like to ride right on the edge of things. Now I'm going to beat myself up by riding full rigid SS. Hope my body can take the beating. We'll see. Fortunately I have good health insurance. Hopefully I don't have to use it.

· Registered
577 Posts
So, why do we do these things when there are safe sports out there like golf, pickle ball, and badminton? I guess it's just part of me and part of all of us who do kinetic sports.
Those aren’t sports - those are games. They’re fun but not exciting. There is no edge of self-control or performance to be explored.

· Registered
342 Posts
Mountain biking, backcountry skiing, whitewater, climbing ladders and using chain saws are all dangerous things and everyone will eventually do some serious damage doing stuff like this (some would add in base jumping, big wave surfing, and a host of other pursuits).

Now, I'm old and less robust than I used to be. I have hurt so many places that I walk like a 100 year old for the first 20 steps in the morning. The latest was Monday when I went OTB to the left. I've injured my left hip badly and really hope I don't need another hip replacement (I wrecked the right hip skiing in January 2020 and got a new hip last October).

I seem to need danger in what I pursue. All my sports are not golf style but come with the risk of serious injury and death. I've had five major injuries skiing now - my right hip replaced, my right knee putting me on crutches for a month, my left thumb ruined by skier's thumb, a bad concussion from a falling branch, and a neck muscle that got severe whiplash and still hurts at times. This recent hip pain is the most serious injury I've had mtb but there's a long trail of roadrash, bruises, pulled muscles, and slices in my past.

I got into BMX when I was 14 and I'm 47 now. I've always been drawn to doing something that seems impossible but riding away (hopefully) that other people wouldn't even know how to begin to attempt. I remember how I felt the night I finally did my first 360. After crashing and crashing and then all of a sudden you do it, and after that you're landing them almost every time. It's a crazy feeling.

· Registered
503 Posts
You'll get hurt doing those as well. Just won't be some massive kinetic injury. Your body will wear out. Fact of life only the young deny.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
When you do things requiring focus it's a total break from the ordinary BS of your life. When you're riding (or skiing, or flying - my other hobbies) at or near the limit of your abilities I guarantee you're not thinking about anything but where you are right now. No BS about boss/wife/money/whatever. Just you in the moment. That's a gift.

· Registered
3,668 Posts
We do these things because diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease are worse and more expensive than exercising.

At 50 years old I get a pretty vigorous workout biking where my heart rate often sits in zone 4 and sometimes 5. But I ride conservatively and careful. I haven't crashed on the bike since 2015. And even then it was a slow OTB where I landed on my feet.

· Registered
838 Posts
I do golf as well, but only with an old group a friends on Thursdays. The weekends and other nights are for riding. 43 and going higher and landing harder than I ever have. There is only so much time left in my left to push things, gotta use what I have.

· Registered
577 Posts
Because the balance of our lives mostly sucks, and doing cool things as an escape and sense of achievement is awesome and provides at least a little meaning.

BTW I still have no idea WTF pickle ball is, and I hope I never do.
Then who is BadgerOne over on PBR (pickle ball review)?

I used to think pickle ball was a venereal disease. Then I saw some people playing it and now I am sure it is a venereal disease.

· Registered
14,715 Posts
Sitting on the couch ain't any safer.
About to turn 49 and I have no aches and pains. I more or less feel as good and as healthy as I always have. I deliberately and mindfully work towards that every single day though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

· Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
382 Posts
I’m not a spiritual or religious person but when I’m out on a big all day epic surrounded by amazing scenery with fun and challenging descents to look forward to it’s like I reconnect with my soul and I’m never happier than in these moments. That’s probably quite sad to some people, but it’s the truth.

I get a different feeling from park/downhill stuff. I still enjoy it and the rush is on a different level when you're pushing your comfort zone, but it doesn't give me the same smiley, warm happiness feeling.

· Registered
19,742 Posts
When you do things requiring focus it's a total break from the ordinary BS of your life. When you're riding (or skiing, or flying - my other hobbies) at or near the limit of your abilities I guarantee you're not thinking about anything but where you are right now. No BS about boss/wife/money/whatever. Just you in the moment. That's a gift.

Absolutely. Lot's of things I like about cycling but you totally nailed the reason I really love it. Well said!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.