Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to my 1st official owner complaint thread.

My chain slaps incessantly on the cross brace that goes between the seatstay and chainstay when in the lower gears. Why isn't this piece curved to quiet the ride? A curved piece doesn't look like it would affect linkage movement whatsoever.

And I still can't get that water bottle bolt out!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

My chain slaps incessantly on the cross brace that goes between the seatstay and chainstay when in the lower gears. Why isn't this piece curved to quiet the ride? A curved piece doesn't look like it would affect linkage movement whatsoever.

There's more clearance on the TNT.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

I had the same complaint. I switched to a SRAM derailleur, and a Blackspire chainguide, and the problem was solved on my 6-pack. It was almost unbearable before the changes.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
El Chingon said:
I had the same complaint. I switched to a SRAM derailleur, and a Blackspire chainguide, and the problem was solved on my 6-pack. It was almost unbearable before the changes.
I'm already rockin' sram X.0, not sure how a front chainguide would help the slap near the axle. Maybe I'll heat up the cross brace with my crack pipe and bend the sucker myself.

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
C,mon Busty, get with it. We need pictures of said offending "crossbrace"...
An mp3 of the actual slappin' sound would git you bonus points as well....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

Probably because you run a short cage derailer.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
DB, be sure to use an ICT compatible crack pipe to heat up that offending piece of bike hardware, or you may void your warranty. A couple hits off said pipe prior to the bending will help get the pipe to the right temperature for the process.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,806 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:

DB on a Turner...there's gotta be a law somewhere...

I assume you mean the rear dropout right?

Easy fix, plus a second fix to further quiet it. Take an inner tube, cut it up and fold it over a few times so that it covers the bottom of that machined part, then zip tie it on. Second fix is to wrap a small amount of inner tube around the bottom part of the front der. cage and zip tie it as well. These make the bike super quiet, in fact the noisiest thing on my bike now is the brake cable smacking the top tube (need those donuts).

I'll post some pics later so that these make more sense.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Okay I'll admit it...sometimes I really can't tell when DB's pulling his provocation and when he's serious... I have no idea what he's describing here. What cross brace btwn the CS and SS? Near the rear axle? I'm a bit confused.

As for the waterbottle thingy, there was a post or two on this, I think DT even chimed in...feel free to search it out.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bikezilla said:
Okay I'll admit it...sometimes I really can't tell when DB's pulling his provocation and when he's serious... I have no idea what he's describing here. What cross brace btwn the CS and SS? Near the rear axle? I'm a bit confused.

As for the waterbottle thingy, there was a post or two on this, I think DT even chimed in...feel free to search it out.
Haha, the fact is, most of my past queries were rooted in truth. That was their beauty, blurring the line between legitimate and obnoxious.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jjcarr said:
DB on a Turner...there's gotta be a law somewhere...

I assume you mean the rear dropout right?

Easy fix, plus a second fix to further quiet it. Take an inner tube, cut it up and fold it over a few times so that it covers the bottom of that machined part, then zip tie it on. Second fix is to wrap a small amount of inner tube around the bottom part of the front der. cage and zip tie it as well. These make the bike super quiet, in fact the noisiest thing on my bike now is the brake cable smacking the top tube (need those donuts).

I'll post some pics later so that these make more sense.
We're on the same page. I was already formulating a plan to bubble wrap my entire chainstay/horst area.

Why haven't all you people discussed this horrific noise pollution problem ad nauseum already? Oh, I forgot, it's hard to hear when you live in a bubble.

I can't imagine how many flaws I might find once I put some miles on this frame.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Haha, the fact is, most of my past queries were rooted in truth. That was their beauty, blurring the line between legitimate and obnoxious.
This I understand...trolling 101

It's your question about chainslap near the dropout that eludes me. I've never noticed it before. Chainstay slap, yes. Fder slap, yes. Dustybottom slap absolutely.

So you're saying the chain is banging on the dropout? How? It's wrapped around the cassette and threaded through the der. The only time it's free to bang about is over the chainstay...no?

Dusty Bottoms said:
I can't imagine how many flaws I might find once I put some miles on this frame.
May I suggest starting with a mirror? That ought to keep you busy for days.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.