Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

361 - 380 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Actually, lighter is better as long as it doesn't sacrifice performance. All things being equal, heavier is okay if it provides improved performance and/or durability without being unnecessarily heavy for no reason, and your bike should be tailored to your particular riding situation.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
For the record, I take no less than 4 dumps prerace. (Never done one in race and I’ve raced up to 11 hours)

Directed at the question of tires from another poster.:

I find race tires to be no less durable than party tires.
I may give up 1-3 seconds on a descent, so when you are on the clock for the full effort (not just downhill enduro) but you gain far more time kn flat singletrack, not just up hill. Minions are so incredibly slow. my threshold for sketchiness is much higher and i am used to bombing on a semislick. These internet test video feature normal riders who arent hadd to it and give up huge gaps. When switching to an XC bike. My margin is very very tight.

People think their terrain dictates a 1100-1300 dhf. Thats pure poppycock. I guarantee you there are people rolling the same thing on less tire. If you were poll people in bentonville for example, you will get an 80% bias towards DD and exo+ enduro tires to reliably ride the b40. I rode the trails for months on racing semi-slicks and had the same number of punctures as did on enduro tire. At the end if the day its about line choice. Im a heavy guy but ride light.

There are some places i throw a much more aggressive tire on for safety and pure fun. Sedona for example has wicked fun exposure and i want a big lug so i don’t slide off an off camber 400 foot cliff. The off camber rock there also would eat my semi slick rubber off and i would wear through a tires shoulder log in 1 week. So there is that. Braap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's your preferred all around trail tires these days?
Also, I'm in complete agreement about taking the overall speed improvement over the 2% faster in the aggressive parts that Minions provide.
The truth is with smooth riding I can ride pretty aggressively on a more trail oriented tire and I really enjoy the extra speed they can provide overall.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Has anyone mentioned taking a pre-ride dump before your ride being as effective as buying expensive parts yet?
Another effective technique is to eat a Burrito on the top of the mountain before the descent. The problem is that most trail riders have to carry the Burrito to the top in their backpack, so it evens out. This is why Enduro racers never do it.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Another effective technique is to eat a Burrito on the top of the mountain before the descent. The problem is that most trail riders have to carry the Burrito to the top in their backpack, so it evens out. This is why Enduro racers never do it.
The proper technique is to carry the burrito fixings separately. You assemble the burrito at the top of the climb and it’s lighter that way.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The proper technique is to carry the burrito fixings separately. You assemble the burrito at the top of the climb and it’s lighter that way.
As long as the burrito is not attached to the bike, it doesn't count. Same technique is used when weighing bikes without pedals.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I will see if the taco truck will shuttle me to the top then make the burrito. Hot and fresh as possible!
Taco truck at the top, restrooms at the bottom?
That might be the incentive for the fastest laps ever 😁.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Please remember that Continental Black Chili is not actually made of chilis, and Salsa bikes are also not really made of Salsa.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Please remember that Continental Black Chili is not actually made of chilis, and Salsa bikes are also not really made of Salsa.
What!?!?!?!?!?
Next you're gonna say Hawaiian Rolls aren't made in Hawaii and Moon Pies aren't made on the moon.

Reactions: BansheeRune

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What's your preferred all around trail tires these days?
Also, I'm in complete agreement about taking the overall speed improvement over the 2% faster in the aggressive parts that Minions provide.
The truth is with smooth riding I can ride pretty aggressively on a more trail oriented tire and I really enjoy the extra speed they can provide overall.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Central Texas blown-out loose over hard, i dig a forekasters front and rear. Its incredible when the limestone is wet and will save you from going down.

Though. I’ve been rolling on the rekon race. Because 1. They are so fast and still have an edge i can lay into almost as hard as any trail tire.

If you cant make these work and want more volume, nobby nic, F/R have a large casing that has been reliable for me throughout texas, Sedona and around the US.

For people who cant make a nobby nic work on the front, i run a 2.35 schwalbe Magic Mary and it is fantastic. I like the way it hooks better than a DHF, and it is way faster riding to trails on pavement.

The only place i really didnt enjoy the forekaster was on kitty litter trails at high altitude like some of the New Mexico high altitude and some Colorado trails that fit that description.

In bentonville, i can make almost anything work, but the Nono/magic i can push as hard as Im capable of in pretty much any trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Actually, lighter is better as long as it doesn't sacrifice performance. All things being equal, heavier is okay if it provides improved performance and/or durability without being unnecessarily heavy for no reason, and your bike should be tailored to your particular riding situation.
In addition, if you're uphill-oriented you might favor something different than if you're downhill-oriented, all things being equal of course.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unless I loose the 40 extra pounds from my body first, it does me no good to worry about bike weight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think racer types tend to be very concerned about weight because their physiology tends to be at a point where it's not exactly easy to lose body weight. This is the "last few pounds" issue in dieting, but there's also the problem where it's extremely hard to simultaneously lose weight and also get stronger/faster. And, the lines at the port-o-potty at races suggest that the dieting technique of taking a dump has also been discovered.

Losing the forest for the trees is, in general, a bad thing. Be it fixating on weight, suspension, geometry, traction, etc.

361 - 380 of 400 Posts