Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i need advice to improve my fitness...

i started riding again this spring after a 14 yr break. so far i've lost 12 pounds,quit smoking.

by the end of the summer i was riding 3 times a week (mainly singletrack) 8-12 miles twice during the week (after work) and 15-24 miles on my weekend ride. my lungs have snapped back into shape rather well,and my heartrate (eventho i dont have a HRM yet) feels ok.

my big problem is my legs just die 3-6 miles into any ride (even on road). after reading other posts here i started drinking more water,eating bannas.etc. the only thing i can think of is im on my feet all day at work (i make and install conveyer belts) we work and walk fast all day.

i'm far from racing but inspire too. maybe might try a beginner race towards the mid-end season.just need some *insight* from all you racers.

fyi i'm 37yrs old 5'10" tall 180lbs i ride a 19" 96' c-dale f500 @24 pounds and dropping (i wont bore you with my bike). but it is well maintained.

this winter when i cant hit the trails or road i do get on my trainer for a good 20-30 minute *romp* 2-3 times a week it was a cheap freeby doesnt have a distance/computer...
sorry if this is a bothersome topic,if i need to move this. mods let me know

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think that's somewhat of a common feeling

I feel weak and sluggish until I'm about 20 minutes into most rides

Do you feel yourself picking back up again?

Is it your legs or more likey your overall energy level?

working with at least a cycle computer might help you to realize that after a bit you get "through" that feeling and are actually riding faster after getting warmed up?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2silent said:
I think that's somewhat of a common feeling

I feel weak and sluggish until I'm about 20 minutes into most rides

Do you feel yourself picking back up again?

Is it your legs or more likey your overall energy level?

working with at least a cycle computer might help you to realize that after a bit you get "through" that feeling and are actually riding faster after getting warmed up?
i feel great when i start out ,its 3 or so miles in my legs get weak and kinda cramp up. i just push through this and get a good ride in but i feel like it should go away as i've been riding 8-9 months now.my overall energy feels ok, i do have a comp on my mtb . i was refering to my indoor trainer and i just go by minutes.

i guess my thing is wanting too much too fast? will the endurance/power in my legs just come with time? can i buy it? hehe just kidding thanks for the reply! i average about 8-12mph on my shorter rides. about 6-10 mph on my longer rides . missouri (hilly) singletrack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Food=Fuel. The only time I feel like that is when I dont eat enough before a ride. How long since you have had anything to eat before your ride? I know everyone is diffrent and it is one of the things you need to learn about yourself. I need to eat alot more before and durring rides than my riding buddys.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Food = fuel Yes. And, I know most of you don't like to hear this, but strength training a couple days a week works WONDERS (i.e. hit the gym). Doing a regimented leg routine helps to mitigate that lactic acid burn from climbing, as well as the "I just can't pedal anymore" feeling at mile 20...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys and for not ripping on my noob azz :) i normally eat a big bowl of crispex about a hour before i hit the trail (on weekends my longer rides). and have a kitkat bar halfway .and water only while riding,on week rides (evenings after work) i dont eat nothing cuase i wanna get out there before my wife calls me and wants me home :)

and surf i'll try to get into that,but between work riding wife and kids it maybe tough to fit that in. main thing is i'm out in the woods getting dirty :) , could drink supplements like cytomax etc help much?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It takes me about 30 minutes to warm up then I start to feel ready to go. I just started using cytomax and, to me, it really does help. I'm 49, I don't know if age has anything to do with taking longer to warm up or not.
I love to ride so I just push through that tough time and enjoy the rest of the ride. Oh yeah and some sort of energy bar during your ride seems to help also. CHEERS!

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
try doing some base miles- if all you're doing is shorter rides then that's all your body will learn to handle. try putting in some serious base miles this winter- riding on the trainer may suck, but it will certainly pay off in the long run. from what i think, though, food isn't too much of an issue for you.

·
New MTB XC Racer
253 Posts
Base Miles

theextremist04 said:
try doing some base miles- if all you're doing is shorter rides then that's all your body will learn to handle. try putting in some serious base miles this winter- riding on the trainer may suck, but it will certainly pay off in the long run. from what i think, though, food isn't too much of an issue for you.
I'm going to be starting my second season after a few years off from most sports, but I did cycle commute about 40 kms a day 3-4 times a week for the 3-4 years before that.

I didn't really train much last year but did my race one week and did practice laps on the week after. Rode Sundays with a fast MTB gang in the mountains for about 2-3 hours. That was tough but that was the extent on my riding. Did three 24 hr events, two solo and one on 4 man team.

So now I am ready to train and am looking to start my base miles. I have rollers and a stand plus bikes set up for winter with carbide studded tires so I have no excuse not to ride:nono:
What kind of riding should I be doing for base miles?
I was planning on 3 two hours sessions during the week with one 3-4 hr ride on the weekends. Max HR is 183(measured) so was thinking of trying to stay in the 130-140 bpm range for a few weeks. I was thinking of doing this for about 4 weeks then slowly start adding in some intervals after that.
Thoughts on some basic base mile plans? This seem ok?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
make sure to get in a slow and easy warm up for at least 15 minutes. don't start rides by just going out and hammering to early.

when you do trainer rides, try not to "romp" for 20-30 minutes but do a more moderate ride for 45-60 minutes, it will do you more good and feel better (besides being incredibly boring).

energy drinks do help for some people. for me, i need them in warm weather on most rides (when it's warmer than 65 F).

but you will feel stronger for longer provided you stick with it.

good luck!

·
not really an mtbr member
640 Posts
Most base miles should be somewhere in upper Zone 2 or lower Zone 3 as far as heart rate goes. Your plan for mileage sounds good. The only thing I'd change might be trying to do a really easy, shorter effort on the days you're not doing a longer ride just so your body gets used to recovering after a ride like that. But yeah, sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You might try a different type of "fuel" before you start your ride. Instead of Cripsex, try whole wheat toast and peanut butter or oatmeal. You may be falling off a sugar rush early on in your rides. You may also want to bring a Power Bar or sports bar instead of a Kit Kat.

I have the same issue happen but usually after about 10 -15 minutes I get a little tired. I believe it's the time period between when your existing sugar gets used up and your reserves start kicking in.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
bloodyknee said:
I have the same issue happen but usually after about 10 -15 minutes I get a little tired. I believe it's the time period between when your existing sugar gets used up and your reserves start kicking in.
you body should have enough "fuel" for at least 60-90 minutes... not just 10 minutes. i think it is then more to do the with the pace / effort than the fuel.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Probably right, just my body's way of adjusting to the new pace.

Just thought of something else....the OP said he was riding at 8-12 miles per hour and this happened between miles 3-6. At 10 miles per hour that would approximately be between 18 - 36 minutes into the ride. Maybe pushing it too hard in the beginning?

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
i was off for about 10 years. did a race after 3 months of getting back into it in the beginner class.

trained another year and did beginner class again.

last year i moved up to sport and am still working my way up.

it takes a lot of time in the saddle.

i was hoping to be expert this year...but i don't think i'll be fast enough. plus i'm having problems with cramping after the 2 hour mark.

keep at it. you'll find your groove.

good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the info! after reading all the posts i do believe i'm trying too hard too fast in my rides. i'll try to keep it slow at first my problem is i want things NOW not working for it and getting that next level.

so far my plans are to not hammer early take longer (but slower) trainer sessions and rides too eat better pre and during ride (is a power bar good before too?) i'll try some cytomax for riding hydration. and not expect to be tinker in just 8 months of riding....

as always mtbr forums and its great readership has given me advice to better myself.i have browsed other cycling forums but come running back here.you guys jamm!

one thing i havent heard about was my job and subsequent running around all dang day could be a factor too? i believe it drags me down alot .i can't change my job but maybe i can follow all this great advice and improve regarudless:thumbsup: .

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
with regards to your job...rest.

you may want to try experimenting by resting a couple of days after a hard ride and then see what your legs feel like as opposed to riding two or three days straight and then doing hard effort.

i've found that with my age (39) that i can't do more than two hard rides per week. otherwise, my body is just trashed. this could be from lack of saddle time, but for now this is what works for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.