Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen MTB riders wear bibs during race and casual rides. Why do they wear bib instead of shorts? Is there some kind of advantage that I am not aware of ? I thought roadies wear bibs for arodynamic purposes.

G

·
I've worn bibs for many years, here's my reasons;
I am 6'3", 185lbs and have never been able to get a pair of regular shorts that fit.They would always creep down, especially in back. This was especially true after they've been washed a few times and the elastic waist band has lost it's magic.
Pro riders wear bibs because they ride a lot. Bibs are flat out more comfortable. No matter if you are in and out of the saddle a hundred times, bibs stay put.
I ride a lot, I'll never go back to regular shorts. By the way, when I snowboard, I don't wear pants, I wear bibs.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Butt cleavage prevention

Picard said:
I have seen MTB riders wear bibs during race and casual rides. Why do they wear bib instead of shorts? Is there some kind of advantage that I am not aware of ? I thought roadies wear bibs for arodynamic purposes.
You really would not like the veiw if you rode behind me while I was wearing regular shorts, even with baggies over them. Besides improving the view, on cold rides, it keeps the draft out of my crack and helps the shorts stay put.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does wearing bib cause discomfort in hot summer ?

Mattman said:
You really would not like the veiw if you rode behind me while I was wearing regular shorts, even with baggies over them. Besides improving the view, on cold rides, it keeps the draft out of my crack and helps the shorts stay put.
LOL, butt cleavage prevention. that's new. I haven't heard that excuse. Don't you guys wear cold weather clothing on top of bib? You can't possibly wear just bib and jersey alone right? The ladies probably appreciate the butt crack much better :D Does bib get hot in the summer at all? I ask this question because bib covers alot of skin areas. I perspires like a pig in the summer. I have to remove my jersey and ride topless :p to cool off. The ladies do appreciate my physique.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The bibs are just too comfortable. The only downside is for solo endurance racing and the "nature break." Slow to just take a leak. They are more comfortable both for heavy guys and for super lean guys who don't have much for the elastic to catch onto.

They aren't any warmer than shorts. Many have the top portion, the bib, in a mesh or other light material. Way comfy.

Ron

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
ronbo613 said:
I've worn bibs for many years, here's my reasons;
I am 6'3", 185lbs and have never been able to get a pair of regular shorts that fit.They would always creep down, especially in back. This was especially true after they've been washed a few times and the elastic waist band has lost it's magic.
Pro riders wear bibs because they ride a lot. Bibs are flat out more comfortable. No matter if you are in and out of the saddle a hundred times, bibs stay put.
I ride a lot, I'll never go back to regular shorts. By the way, when I snowboard, I don't wear pants, I wear bibs.
The only question I have is how do you piss while wearing bibs? Do you go thru the leg hole, or do you get undressed just to pee?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sasquatch said:
The only question I have is how do you piss while wearing bibs? Do you go thru the leg hole, or do you get undressed just to pee?
Sas, do you know how many of your riding buddies wear bibs? Do you notice any of us undressing during the rides?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picard said:
Because we keep spilling our beer after the rides.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
shiggy said:
Sas, do you know how many of your riding buddies wear bibs? Do you notice any of us undressing during the rides?
You didn't answer my question. It was not troll bait, I really want to know. I own a pair of bibs, but never wear them cause I had troub;e trying to piss. I know you and Dave and others wear them, but I've never watched yall pee.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
shiggy said:
You didn't answer my question. It was not troll bait, I really want to know. I own a pair of bibs, but never wear them cause I had trouble trying to piss. I know you and Dave and others wear them, but I've never watched yall pee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
basically

For road riders, I know, the biggest reason is if you take a spill, and tear the side of your shorts (which, logically, if you do fall is the most likely area of a tear), you won't be able to finish the race because you won't be able to keep your shorts on. With the bib, if you take a spill and tear the side, you can still finish the race, as they'll stay up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Comfy. Don't roll down. In the winter, I wear bib knickers under my rain pants - keeps the knees from rubbing raw.

As for the pee issue ... most bibs are cut waaaay low in the front and are quite stretchy. Just pull the front down and your willy out. A little awkward, but easy to get used too.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sasquatch said:
You didn't answer my question. It was not troll bait, I really want to know. I own a pair of bibs, but never wear them cause I had trouble trying to piss. I know you and Dave and others wear them, but I've never watched yall pee.
We just pull the front down and go. May have to slouch a bit.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
Picard said:
I always wondered about bibs, too. Then, last year (after 10+yrs of riding with regular spandex shorts), I tried a set and WOW, what a difference! I'm now a bib-guy! No draw-string tight around your waist, no slipping, etc. I've never had a problem peeing...in fact, I find it easier with bibs than regular shorts. With bibs, just pull-down the front and go. With regular shorts, untie the draw-string (which means removing your gloves), pull-down the front and go, re-tie draw-string, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.