Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are you asking why people prefer Thomson or why people prefer setback? Having setback is just personal preference depending on how the bike fits you. For example, my SJ feels a bit cramped in the cockpit so I am getting a setback post so that I can move the seat back more. Thomson is one of the most popular, I think because they make so many different sizes for everyone's needs (in both setback and non-setback), their quality is top notch, and their strength to weight ratio is great. Personally, I also like them because they have great aesthetics.

·
lookin' for a hill
357 Posts
because of the way the thomson seatpost is made, the setback version actually places the saddle in the same position that a normal, other manufacturer seatpost would. The straight thomson actually places the rider ever so slightly forward from what a normal seatpost would do. The reason is that if you look at a thomson post, you will notice that the bracket for the rails is actually machined out of the same piece as the rest of the post, as opposed to another piece attatched to the top of the post. So when they initially made the straight version, people wanted back the cockpit length which they lost, and thus the setback post came to be. It is only setback in regards to other thomson posts. other than that, people pick it for looks and because the straight version actually places the rider closer to the stem than other posts.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
nikwashere said:
.. It is only setback in regards to other thomson posts. other than that, people pick it for looks and because the straight version actually places the rider closer to the stem than other posts.
D'oh! :eek:

I believe you're correct! Oh, well, I needed a longer seatpost when I bought the Thomson, anyway. ..and it does look good.

jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
nikwashere said:
because of the way the thomson seatpost is made, the setback version actually places the saddle in the same position that a normal, other manufacturer seatpost would. The straight thomson actually places the rider ever so slightly forward from what a normal seatpost would do. The reason is that if you look at a thomson post, you will notice that the bracket for the rails is actually machined out of the same piece as the rest of the post, as opposed to another piece attatched to the top of the post. So when they initially made the straight version, people wanted back the cockpit length which they lost, and thus the setback post came to be. It is only setback in regards to other thomson posts. other than that, people pick it for looks and because the straight version actually places the rider closer to the stem than other posts.
You're right, that is the case for most people. I was thinking about my own situation, getting a Thomson setback does move the saddle rearward. The 2008 Stumpy FSRs (which I have) come with a straight post, like the regular Thomsons.

08 SJ FSR:

You can see that for 09 they switched to one with setback:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm 5' 11" and could probably ride a Large, but I definitely prefer a Medium Epic frame, so I use a setback to stretch out a bit more. It's the same with my clothes. I'm perfectly in between a medium and large. It's a pain actually. Medium-sized clothes are a little too small, but large is too large!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Azndude51 said:
You're right, that is the case for most people. I was thinking about my own situation, getting a Thomson setback does move the saddle rearward. The 2008 Stumpy FSRs (which I have) come with a straight post, like the regular Thomsons.

08 SJ FSR:

You can see that for 09 they switched to one with setback:
My '08 S-Works SJ frameset came with a Thomson setback. The frameset box was unopened, so I know it came that way from Specialized. I wonder if they just throw in arbitrary seat posts from whomever supplier they have stock of at the time of packout?

·
Registered
239 Posts
rsato1 said:
My '08 S-Works SJ frameset came with a Thomson setback. The frameset box was unopened, so I know it came that way from Specialized. I wonder if they just throw in arbitrary seat posts from whomever supplier they have stock of at the time of packout?
That's interesting since the spec on the website (and picture) specifically says that it has a straight seatpost. Perhaps setback is all they had in stock at the time like you mentioned.

·
Registered
367 Posts
rsato1 said:
Specifications subject to change without notice.
i think the seatpost was changed during 2008 for the top frames and for 2009 for all stumpis.
Ned O. rides the Thomson setback on his S-Works in the promotion video 2008

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.