Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im pretty new here. i recently got a mountain bike to hit the local trails and get a work out and have some fun.

i live in the mountains, and all of main local roads are popular for road bikes on the weekends, so every weekend when i drive, i get stuck behind idiots that decide the road is all theirs. they go well below the posted speed limit and make passing difficult and dangerous. when i do pass, my truck usually gets really close to them and they yell something that i cant understand.

if i cant pass i usually keep my horn on for a long while to let them know that i would like to pass, but they usually just flip me off and stay in the road.

ive been behind a few that can keep up with the speed limit and traffic, but thats pretty rare.

its pretty dangerous for everyone involved, cars have to cross double yellows to get around them, and ive helped a cyclist before that had a car clip his handlebars. he broke his shoulder when he fell and i assisted until an ambulance got there.

a few years ago i passed a guy and there was some lose gravel, i guess a good amount of it got him because when i was stopped he caught up to me and told me to get out of the car, when me and my buddy did get out of the car, he yelled "slow down" and biked off, dunno why i needed to get out of the car for him to tell me that. if that had happened today, i wouldnt be stepping out of the car unless i felt that my life or well being was in danger if i didnt, and i wouldnt confront a situation that put me in danger without my tool that makes me certain i can stop a threat.

from what ive seen, no good has ever come from riding in the middle of the road, or not far enough to the side. am i missing something? do riders like getting clipped by cars in hopes of collecting money? or do they enjoy watching cars hit each other while passing or something?

is there secret biker honk i can use to let them know im cool and they should let me pass?

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
The edge of a road is usually full of debris- loose gravel, bits of broken glass. So riding there is harder and more likely to give you a flat tyre.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have commuted alot in many different places. I have learned to ride where I need to to make myself safe. I ride in the middle of the lane and leave the car behind no place to pass unless they go into the other lane entirely, if I feel that they do not have the room or can't see far enough ahead to know that it is ok to pass. I do this so I don't get clipped by a car that decided to pass and then runs out of room. If it means getting into a head on collision with another car or clipping my I know which one they will choose. If the road is open I ride on the side. You might spend 10 seconds slowing down and making sure it is ok to pass but if you think about it, not that big of a deal.

On a side note if I have an idiot behind me laying on the horn I might take a little longer allowing them to pass but that is on myh bike or in a car. More than a small honk to let me know that you are behind me is like yelling your head off. Rude!

·
Ride More, Work Less
7,774 Posts
from what ive seen, no good has ever come from riding in the middle of the road, or not far enough to the side. am i missing something? do riders like getting clipped by cars in hopes of collecting money? or do they enjoy watching cars hit each other while passing or something?

is there secret biker honk i can use to let them know im cool and they should let me pass?
You are clearly missing something. A few points to consider.

Bikes have a right (unless otherwise posted) to use the road as a vehicle in most (if not all) states. Interstates have a no bike policy, but otherwise most roads are bikable.

Speed limits and minimum speed are very different. Unless there is a minimum speed posted, grandma could be taking a sunday drive, a piece of farm equipment could be slowly moving field to field, or a biker could be in the lane.

Biking on most roads is dangerous business. Larger groups of bikers can make it more dangerous as cars try to pass and have to move right before it is clear. Larger group rides tend to swell in the road for this reason.

Riding the middle of the lane, particularly near intersections, is a life saving approach.

You pass a bike as you would pass a car (road markings, signage, etc). Since most people simply don't understand this and try to squeeze through on tight curvy roads, many cyclists have been "clipped" (mirrors, trailers, etc) and killed.

Take a look at this webpage for additional considerations. I have had 2 near death experiences on the road. It scared me off the road. I've known people killed on the road.

http://bicyclesafe.com/

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Depending on the road and the traffic situation, I may take the center of a lane to

1) make sure I'm visible
2) make sure those who are passing me will actually go around me instead of ignoring me
3) leave me some space for evasive moves towards the shoulder in case a passer gets too close
4) prevent situations where there's two trucks and me, where there's only space for the two trucks

·
High Gravity Haze
418 Posts
Perttime is right and so is SeaBass. It's taking restraint to not comment further, but I'm stopping there.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not trolling, just understanding the logic. It gets old for the locals to be held up from their routine because someone thinks they own the road.

I can understand the points made about personal safety, but sometimes it seems more dangerous for drivers and riders.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
It gets old for the locals to be held up from their routine because someone thinks they own the road.
Just to give it a different perspective:

It gets old for riders to fear for their lives because some locals think they own the road.

... I'm not commenting any further either ...

·
Registered
157 Posts
If its not safe for a car to pass, I make it impossible for them to try by taking up the lane. Entering a roundabout is a perfect case, if you leave space you will get squeezed off the road.
On the other side though, I try to make room where it is safe, i don't want cars to have to do stupid moves to get by. Some large group rides don't show any such courtesy and get all militant at the cars

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If its not safe for a car to pass, I make it impossible for them to try by taking up the lane. Entering a roundabout is a perfect case, if you leave space you will get squeezed off the road.
On the other side though, I try to make room where it is safe, i don't want cars to have to do stupid moves to get by. Some large group rides don't show any such courtesy and get all militant at the cars
That's what I'm talking about

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
Think you got your answer, who you think is right or wrong, and bickering with members over it isn't going to change anything so ?

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.