Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, why do bmx people think mtb is "gay". I havent been riding for ever but the past 3 year when I say yea I mtb they think is easy, wimpy, and boring and then say "bmx is where its at yo". WHERE DO THEY GET THIS FROM. It just makes me angry every time they say it... Does anybody else have this happen.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tell them to do 120 laps on their little boy's dirt track - then they'll have the equivalent of one Sport XC race under their belt.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
When we first started our High School Team in El cerrito in 2002 some of our best handlers came from BMX. Unfortunately they burned themselves up in the first 5-mile lap. It took a lot of training to change the way they expressed their stamina.

So, mostly, it is a simple lack of knowledge about mtb in the context of their sport which they value so much. Also, as a younger crowd with a deep need to belong in something, there is a value that is seen in something that is not an adult sport.

That said, at 62 I see you 40 year-olds pretty differently, too. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a former bmx 'er ....actually I rode vert ram p s and skate parks we always looked mountain biking as being "gay"................

I gave up bmx when i started to Notice that there was a shift in the age of the normal rider thanks to the x-games.......we where now the old guys and everyone around us where 14 and 15 year old punk kids with zero respect for the elders of the sport.........

Now years later one of my friends got me to get a bike......months later I'm on a freeride bike.......gary fisher kingfisher......

This is the funnest riding I've done in a very long time.......bike size has a lot to do with it.....

Sorry...back to the o's question.........
we thought it was "gay" because of a lot of the attitudes we saw in the riders....and I see ALOT of it now that I'm riding.....lol

It all boils down to

Weight weenies..........

brand weenies.......

spandex ......licra......bibs......What ever you want to call them........

When I rode bmx it was all about riding and do in tricks..jumps...or what ever

I see ALOT of mountain bikers that need to lighten up and just ride....

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
spandex ......licra......bibs......What ever you want to call them........
I was going to suggest maybe it was the lycra. I rode a MTB race in MD where there was a guy with a Freddie Mercury mustache wearing pink lycra. Looked pretty gay to me lol. Not that there's anything wrong with that

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Hi all, why do bmx people think mtb is "gay". I havent been riding for ever but the past 3 year when I say yea I mtb they think is easy, wimpy, and boring and then say "bmx is where its at yo". WHERE DO THEY GET THIS FROM. It just makes me angry every time they say it... Does anybody else have this happen.
Are you still in high school?

If so, you are ahead of your time and all your little 15 year old friends will eventually graduate to mountain bikes or stop riding all together.

If not, quit hanging around those kids or you may find yourself on the SO list.

Either way, is it really worth getting mad over if you enjoy what you are doing?

And FYI, they are trying to make you angry.

·
Hooligan
994 Posts
whenever i hear somebody say "that's gay" and they happen to be referring to anything other than two men having some bum fun, then i generally make a mental note to ignore any further utterances from their pie holes.
yes!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Because going "straight" on a mountain bike is just plain no fun. Ergo, mountain bikers are gay...

...or, it might be that most young people are so horrendously insecure that they find a need to ridicule anything that is different from their perceived norm. It's a variation on the "emperor has no clothes" theme.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea gess i should not give a f?&@ and just ride.... Am going to ask them if they want to come ride my dirt ramps... And there all coverd in mud so that should be fun. I also forgot to say they all probly smoke so they might not even be able to ride the 2 miles to the ramps. It also pisses me off how much bmx stuff is theres little moving parts and most of them think spending $150 on a small cog that caust $20 to make is a good deal. Uggg just anoys me how stupid some people are these days.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.