Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors where going 4-wheeling at haspen acres Indiana yesterday so I decided to take along my bike, but little did I know what I was in for. Started out ok just riding through a ton of mud but then I hit the clay:eekster: .

Time setting on my Camera are wrong thats why pics are dated for 2005 =).

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
oh man..wet clay is terrible, it turns youre tires in to slicks, you lose traction, and then when you speed up it flings EVERYWHERE.

but you always end up with a smile on your face, and thats what it is all about

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice Work! I remember the first race I attended (1 of 2 total lol), it was sloppy clay mixed with fallen leaves and pine needles and I had a Zaskar with rim brakes.......I spent more time cleaning the mud composite mix out from the arch, chain and seat stays than peddaling...what a miserable 3 hours...I've learned from my misadventures!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Energetik said:
Actually the Response Sport is a pretty decent budget/entry level bike.
x2. I have the Response Comp with the Tora fork and BB5 brakes. I really like it. It is comparable to the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc I was considering, which I really liked. However, the Rockhopper was out of my price range.

When it came down to it, I was getting a bike with VERY similar geometry and components to for 60% less than the Specialized. Plus, the copperhead color on the '09 Response Comp is hot!

Anyways, sorry for the hijack, please return to the original topic. That looks difficult to clean.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Energetik said:
Actually the Response Sport is a pretty decent budget/entry level bike. And check out the latest stuff in there AM selection. The scapeGoat is a nice bike.
Agreed. I dont know why people put down Diamondback bikes Its true they sell alot of department store grade bikes but they also have some great higher end bikes as well. Honestly if you had the choice between say a Specialized bike with v-brakes for the same price as the Response sport with discs why pay for the name?

Not everyone buys a bike to upgrade it but they do anyway, and why pay more money to add upon equal frames?:rolleyes:

Besides I'm gonna upgrade this bike over winter for when the race season starts next year. BB7's, easton handlebar and stem, mavic crossride disc, and some kevlar kenda small block eights. And out of all that it will drop about 4 pounds about 3/4 of a pound in the handlebars alone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This happened after a lot of mud...
Look at the seatstays, there is no v-brake there, only heavy mud!

That ride was about 60 miles... and a few blocks from home the chain snapped!

This was a Gary Fisher HKEK 2005, with Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hopping_Rocks said:
Do you have any pics of what you looked like after this ride?
No, but I have a few pictures of that day, here:
https://200.40.115.58/fotos/main.php?g2_itemId=24819
https://picasaweb.google.es/bolso103/BaAdos#

And in case you understand spanish, here's the forum where we tell all about that trip:
https://mtburuguay.forogratis.es/foro/viewtopic.php?t=1216

We crossed some water, may be 2 or 3 foot deep. One guy climed a tree a tree and passed the bikes to the other side.

Hopping_Rocks said:
I suppose a good spray down with a hose is the only easy way to clean something like that?
No idea. I took it to a LBS since I live in a building and I don't have a place to clean this mess!
However, a friend of mine, cleaned his bike on the shower!!!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
leoh said:
This happened after a lot of mud...
Look at the seatstays, there is no v-brake there, only heavy mud!

That ride was about 60 miles... and a few blocks from home the chain snapped!

This was a Gary Fisher HKEK 2005, with Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.
Of course not because that bike is equipped with disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Riding in Utah, down a steep hill, but the wheels just stopped turning. I didn't really need brakes :p The bike had an extra 50 pounds of mud...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.