Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride tonight at the Newport Coast top side of El Morro to the sweetest single track in the park and the trail nazis ruined it. If you knew where it was you won't believe the damage that has been done to it buy whoever cut brush down to cover the trail. The whole trail was hidden in trees not bothering anyone. Who does this? What kills me are the groups trying to control lay of the land by killing trails other than the weak fire roads that are left. If these groups are so worried about the land in this area where were they when they built the 2500 homes for the rich and famous starting ten years ago in Newport Coast? The amount of man hours, time and money used to kill this trail could have been used better maintaining and building new trails. Sorry for the rant but it really is too bad.

·
GONE
25,859 Posts
I saw similar stuff done to trail offshoots in Chesebro this past weekend. It's probably the state doing this, closing sections that were "illegally built".

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
I saw similar stuff done to trail offshoots in Chesebro this past weekend. It's probably the state doing this, closing sections that were "illegally built".
that was the biggest waste of time i've ever seen, on the way back to the parking lot after riding out to china flats, a bunch of their work had already been removed. I really don't understand what the state parks are thinking, it seems like they're just trying to exert their power?? How hard would it be to start working with groups like Corba to help maintain the trails instead of covering them up with branches?? :confused:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Maybe if people stopped talking about these trails on the internet, the "trail nazis" wouldn't be constantly spurred to take action. Idiots posting these trails on geoladders, etc - that's who you should be complaining about.

The trail you're referring to goes through an acheological site and crosses a blue line drainage. Doubtful that one will ever be brought into the legal trails inventory.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
There was a nice status quo in El Moro for many years; the park tolerated some of the older illegal trails. But then illegal trails started popping up all over the place--including the ill-conceived Deliverance. The rangers weren't going to sit by and let the park get carved up by any kook with a shovel, so they started cracking down. NBTD has been posted as closed for years, but the signs kept getting ripped out, so they started getting a little more aggressive--including handing out tickets.

It's not the end of the world. There are still plenty of great trails around, and some parks are actually opening up new trails--like Car Wreck in Aliso and the new trails in Oaks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The state park resource managment team is working to close that trail permanently.

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, last year a rider was injured while riding an illegal trail in El Moro. He is threatening to sue the state for not being more aggressive in closing illegal trails. So, you can also blame your litigious society for closing your favorite trails.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for replying Chopper.
Even though I don't know the exact trail being mentioned here, I can only imagine.
It really is tough educating everyone about trail systems in OC.

Chopper said:
The state park resource managment team is working to close that trail permanently.

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, last year a rider was injured while riding an illegal trail in El Moro. He is threatening to sue the state for not being more aggressive in closing illegal trails. So, you can also blame your litigious society for closing your favorite trails.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The threatening to sue aspect will never diminish because this is California. There will always be ambulance chasers ready to respond to incidents of self stupidity and those who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. Where did you get the information on the possible litigation?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I happened to be present during a coversation between hiim and the park managment.

I don't know what the outcome was or if he followed through but the point is, this is what they have to deal with.

I'm also not saying that's why the trail was closed because I can think of at least three other reasons why they would want to close it, some of which were already stated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
CMH22 said:
I went for a ride tonight at the Newport Coast top side of El Morro to the sweetest single track in the park and the trail nazis ruined it. If you knew where it was you won't believe the damage that has been done to it buy whoever cut brush down to cover the trail. The whole trail was hidden in trees not bothering anyone. Who does this? What kills me are the groups trying to control lay of the land by killing trails other than the weak fire roads that are left. If these groups are so worried about the land in this area where were they when they built the 2500 homes for the rich and famous starting ten years ago in Newport Coast? The amount of man hours, time and money used to kill this trail could have been used better maintaining and building new trails. Sorry for the rant but it really is too bad.

People doing NIGHT rides there is yet another reason that things are getting closed down. Don't get me wrong, I've ridden some of the trails being aluded to here... I would NEVER ride them at night though. You might as well be up there with one of those giant spotlights that they use at the oscars, or a store grand-opening. You can see a night rider from MILES away.

You wanna night ride, join the crowd over at Luge.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
-bb- said:
People doing NIGHT rides there is yet another reason that things are getting closed down. Don't get me wrong, I've ridden some of the trails being aluded to here... I would NEVER ride them at night though. You might as well be up there with one of those giant spotlights that they use at the oscars, or a store grand-opening. You can see a night rider from MILES away.

You wanna night ride, join the crowd over at Luge.
thank you. i worked the halloween ride in el moro and we saw lots of other "unofficial" lights bobbing off in the distance. then there's the local club that does night ride poaches with 30 people. ****ing brilliant...

get used to trails/parks getting closed.

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
CMH22 said:
Whats up with the WADS signature?
It's a blast to the old school macho core riders group known as the Laguna Rads who "claimed" some riding areas, and even built unsustainable type trails.

I rode with them way back-in-the-day, full testosterone fest. Some were even pro riders like Lopes, Lawwill, Hans Ray etc.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
-bb- said:
2w4s?

Is that the reincarnation of W4S? I thought you were up in LA now. did you move back down?
No, still living in Santa Monica, and i was discussing the stupid trail stuff they did at Cheseboro this weekend, completely different situation compared to El Moro. I agree with Dirtvert about El Moro, if the trail is closed, don't f'in ride it! I had to quit riding all the fun trails at the Oaks when they arbitrarily closed them, now they are marked trails! I still ride the OC all the time though. :thumbsup:

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
CalEpic said:
Keyboard courage. I wonder why he didn't say anything to them when crossing paths last night? :lol:
troll/stalk much?

there aren't any mods here, so i guess you can be as "disrespectful" as you want...as for internet courage, wikipedia credits you as the inspiration for the phrase. :lol:

seriously, you're an awesome ambassador for str--and the rads. but please stay on topic.

btw- thanks for the suggestion. if you really want to make an issue of it, i'll put in a call to the rangers/sheriff the next time i see the thundering herd poaching on their weekly ride. and, if you insist on harassing me on every mtb site, i also know about new trails that the rads have in aliso and another oc park. it would be too bad if they had to find another place to play...have fun at the pit.

and maybe--just maybe--you could ignore my posts like i do yours. cuz if you insist on continuing the pissing contest, we'll both end up smelling like a urinal.

"Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine." : $$$ :

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like some guys that need to put their skills to test. I dont like crying to rangers about trail enjoyment or discrimination. It might be best if the term White is removed from your tag of the rads. If someone were to describe other groups of a color with the same tone all hell
would break loose.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts