Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to see if there is something wrong in my wheel/tire set-up. It may Just be that I crashed.

Going downhill on Stony Run, Douthat Va. Really fast loose rock with roots and some baby heads and gallon jug sized rocks here and there. I was moving fast and took a liitle hop (Not big Air) off of one of the rocks. When i landed my front end sketched out and the rim dug in and i went flying. The rim bent. The rim had leaves and dirt stuck in it between the tire, the tire did not flat. Everything felt good untill i went flying.

2.35 inch Maxxis tires 45 or so psi, the rim was a Mavic 117 Disc. I am 215lbs, front fork is RS Sektor R with i think 195 psi.

I perfectly ok with it being my fault but if there is something mechanically that i could change to prevent whatever happened, that would be cool.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I dont think there is any way for anyone to really know without seeing the crash actually happen. More than likely though, you were just a little off balance or landed with your front wheel a little turned. Thats a lot of tire pressure too so it may have contributed.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,570 Posts
I am trying to see if there is something wrong in my wheel/tire set-up. It may Just be that I crashed.

Going downhill on Stony Run, Douthat Va. Really fast loose rock with roots and some baby heads and gallon jug sized rocks here and there. I was moving fast and took a liitle hop (Not big Air) off of one of the rocks. When i landed my front end sketched out and the rim dug in and i went flying. The rim bent. The rim had leaves and dirt stuck in it between the tire, the tire did not flat. Everything felt good untill i went flying.

2.35 inch Maxxis tires 45 or so psi, the rim was a Mavic 117 Disc. I am 215lbs, front fork is RS Sektor R with i think 195 psi.

I perfectly ok with it being my fault but if there is something mechanically that i could change to prevent whatever happened, that would be cool.
I've done that trail many times, it is a lot of fun.

I don't think this one crash is a sign that there is anything wrong with your setup. You just landed something wrong. You can get a lot of speed on that trail, and while it is not very technical, small screw ups at speed can leave you flat on your face so fast that it is hard to know what happened. It is really hard to say what went wrong without being there. Was it an endo? Or did the wheel slide out to one side? Did you land front-heavy?

45 psi for a front tire seems a tad on the high side to me. Not sure if that had anything to do with what went wrong, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't feel like i was front heavy.

I went endo. Big time. Maybe flipped in the air, IDK. It definitly happened fast. Stitches in my elbow and back is scuffed up and bruised. It was a long drive home.

I figure I wasn't square when i came down or a little turned. I will consider the PSI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
You need some wider rims swap them out for 321's atleast, if not for 25mm rims then you can drop the pressure without going squirmly loads, have more grip and comfort / suspension over the rocks and roots and you'll be much much better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need some wider rims swap them out for 321's atleast, if not for 25mm rims then you can drop the pressure without going squirmly loads, have more grip and comfort / suspension over the rocks and roots and you'll be much much better.
That is one thing I thought might be an issue. Fezzari is discounting me a replacement wheel with 317s. I think i will use the hub i have and build one with a 321s or 721s . whenever i get the money.

What got me considering this is that Mavic recommends no wider than 2.1" tires on their 17mm rims. Fezzari put the 2.35 on mine stock, I never thought about it till now.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
I still wouldn't...

That is one thing I thought might be an issue. Fezzari is discounting me a replacement wheel with 317s. I think i will use the hub i have and build one with a 321s or 721s . whenever i get the money.

What got me considering this is that Mavic recommends no wider than 2.1" tires on their 17mm rims. Fezzari put the 2.35 on mine stock, I never thought about it till now.
I still wouldn't give it a second thought. It sounds to me like your bike's rider ran out of skill. It happens to my bike all the time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My skills could be problem but most likely it was my chamois that caused the wreck.

I agree with everyone that it was rider error, but a too narrow rim may be consideration in replacement. I got a discount on another 17mm rim, but i might rebuild the other with a 19 or 21 mm rim.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.