Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To CLIMB like a cougar! I swear this dammed thing can climb anything my legs are up for. Sometimes it feels like this bike was made just for me and my trails.

Just some musings from today's ride... Sadly, East Coast trails don't often have the photographic beauty of our Western cousins...we don't get the lighting either. Believe it or not these shots were at high noon on a sunny day. A compact camera flash is woefully underpowered, and I'm not schlepping a tripod with me.

Annnyway just a little Turner-trail passion. This is a relatively new trail (3-4mos old) and I finally got round to clearing the techi climb that's been defeating me for so long. Mostly a mental thing. I recently chucked my big ring so I wasn't afraid of slamming it anymore and that helped in a very big way with approaching it with confidence.(something I often lack) Last weekend I almost nailed it. So today I came in determined to stay there until I cleared the whole thing. I mastered the first feature, then the second feature then I cleaned them both together. Yeaaah boyeee!

It was particularly rough today as the trails were damp and mossy...tricky tricky tricky.:D

This is about 3/4 way into a climbing techie trail, the crowning moment...
The first two shots are the approach to the first step-up it's a little taller than it looks(as always) and is proceeded by some very choppy flat edged rocks. Getting the right mo' was key. Stick with me...it gets better

More in a bit...

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So what's the big deal? (besides being dark and blurry)
Look ahead see that dead tree off to the right? Just to the left of it is the waste high mossy covered wall, just left of the sapling. The trick was to clear the first step and still be able to set up the next part.

More still to come...it gets better...(a little)...

Attachments

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
938 Posts
The pictures of the trail look great but what's with that glare of the bike?
A new effect? lol
Trying to highlight the Red Rod? (I forgot what you guys that ride red bike's call your self so forgive me if I just offer a name temporarily.Not sure if this one is right now that I think about it........... )

:cool:

Zilla, I can't believe you don't know what a "Cougar Bar" is?

(Hint: A bar where single women (35-45+ in age) are on the prowl looking for men their own age and younger. (Some that I have encountered dress to kill, got good jobs, know what they want and don't take NO for a answer.) Something like anyways.............but then your married!!!!
Your not suppose to go to places like that...........LOL) ;)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay finished dinner...(don't ask)

Now here's what's really been beating me. Not that half my buddies don't clear it all the time. It's just that, well, I suck. Anyway It felt REEEEAAAAALLLL GOOOOOD to clear this one. Especially non-stop after the first tricky step. And considering most of the last 20 min's was technical climbing. I'm happy and I don't care how lame it looks on film:D .

First two are the step from the approach... note the happy moss waiting to spin me back down. I had to keep about a foot to the left of where the bike is leaning. But that meant clearing 2 or three choppy rocks just in front of the step.

The third picture is from the top. Yes, it's really that steep.

Sorry again about the pic quality...It's hard to tell what you get with the tiny cam screen. And I did my best to sharpen it up. Maybe I'll lug a tripod next time afterall.

Attachments

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Oh and here's another good reason to have a bash ring:D . Why are these features always at the top of a climb?
Cool section of trail 'Zilla, and from the looks of it I'm not too proud to admit that I would probably take more than a few attempts to clear :cool: .

BTW the obstacles at the end of a climb are there to test our fortitude or is it ineptitude, I forget which. But as Curly always said "If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking til you do suck seed." :D :D :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice! Those are exactly the kind of obstacles I suck on too :p

But perhaps not anymore. I just got my red hot 5 Spot (XL) delivered yesterday, 11:30 PM in the evening. Man, this thing looks good! Time to strip down my old bike for components :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
seasick said:
"Sadly, East Coast trails don't often have the photographic beauty of our Western cousins..."

Whatcha talkin' bout? I totally dig that last shot...it's killa, Zilla! Thanks for sharing.
Seriously, that is the kind of stuff I live for. Rocks are the icing on the singletrack cake, or something like that. BTW, check out Kenda's Stick-E tires if you're looking for extra grip in those conditions- they've done wonders for me.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Oh and here's another good reason to have a bash ring:D . Why are these features always at the top of a climb?
Great shots and narration, Zilla!!! I love obstacles like the one's you are riding in those pics.

I've recently been trying tougher and tougher terrain. Prompted by your search for the perfect bash rings, I installed them on both of my FS bikes. The only problem are the trail sanitizers.

For months, there have been a few very large (for me, anyway) obstacles on some of my favorite singletrack that I avoided. Last week I decided to tackle the 2 largest. One was a 2 foot diameter log and the other was a very large log pile....almost 4 feet tall.

When I got to the large log, I noticed that someone had sawed a gap that only required the rider to go over a 6" bump. Next to that, they piled smaller logs to make it an easy log pile. $#@

The second obstacle...the large log pile was completely missing. That sucked....For months I had just looked at those obstacles....Now they're gone before I could ride them.

Oh well. There are plenty of other obstacles, but I had my heart set on doing those.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dawgprimo said:
The pictures of the trail look great but what's with that glare of the bike?
A new effect? lol
Trying to highlight the Red Rod? (I forgot what you guys that ride red bike's call your selves...
The glare is the Halo that comes with every 5 Spot... having riden mine for a year now I'm sure it's got some kind of outside help.:D

About the names, now that you mention it I don't think we actually choose one. I'll have to think about that. I know we have a couple of slogans "We be Pooftas!" and "I'm Super! Thanks for asking!" We even have a mascot...you'll have to search for that one.

Dawgprimo said:
Zilla, I can't believe you don't know what a "Cougar Bar" is?
(interesting definition).............but then your married!!!!
Your not suppose to go to places like that...........LOL)
OOOhhhhhh!!! strangely enough, that's where I met my wife!:D

Brown_Teeth said:
Its not the red its the gold king HS that will drive the cougars to stinking and thinking!
Notice the HS matches my helmet? You think that's bad, wait until next week when my new wheels arrive, Black Mav!c EX823 rims, black spokes and nipples...GOLD KING HUBS!!!! Wooo Hooo! I've been wanting these since the day I spec'd my bike.

Seasick: You're right the EC trails ROCK! it's just hard to get a real stunning picture when you only get 30' of visibility:p I forgot to mention that they more than make up for it in pure fun!

PoKev said:
But as Curly always said "If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking til you do suck seed."
That's gotta go in someone's signature...it's so-on-the-mark.:D

Mr_Slash: You're in for some real fun! Bear one thing in mind which I always seem to forget, KEEP PEDALING! no matter what, just give it one more stroke! I constantly suprise myself to find the bike will clear anything as long as have the legs to turn the cranks.

Hubba, I would think a 6" RFX would clear this in a heartbeat. It's all the fun of a 5 Spot, plus endless thrashability. The only thing that would hamper it on this kind of climb is a 7" fork.:D

I'll have to look at the Ken_da offerings, I only ride UST 2.3+. Currently Conti VPs They are pretty good, but rip waaay to easy.
FWIW when this trail is bone-dry the traction on that rock is like velcro.

Thanks folks for the comments!

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blue Shorts said:
Great shots and narration, Zilla!!! I love obstacles like the one's you are riding in those pics.

I've recently been trying tougher and tougher terrain. Prompted by your search for the perfect bash rings, I installed them on both of my FS bikes. The only problem are the trail sanitizers.
Tnx!

We have a solution for the trail sanitizers, basically we use their corpses and their tools to create an improved obstacle, which serves the dual purpose of discouraging future sanitizers.:D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Hubba, I would think a 6" RFX would clear this in a heartbeat. It's all the fun of a 5 Spot, plus endless thrashability. The only thing that would hamper it on this kind of climb is a 7" fork.:D
yeah well I've got a 7" fork and I always seem to be 50/50 on the usefulness of it, I loved my bike in the 5/5 mode and love it in the 6/7 mode too .... I tend to over analyse things most of the time (took me 1.5yrs to research/buy the RFX) and suspect I'll keep bouncing back 'n forth on this one as well.

Thanks for the pics though, reminds me of why I love the sport so much. Such concentration & determination to a single purpose is a high I'll never get tired of.

Clem

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HubbaMan said:
yeah well I've got a 7" fork and I always seem to be 50/50 on the usefulness of it...
I'm sure there's nothing level or down that setup won't laugh off. I've read the RFX can be quite the trail bike in 6x6 and 5x6...maybe one of those would be the happy compromise for you, depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing. Curious, how does it climb with the 7" fork?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Bikezilla said:
I'm sure there's nothing level or down that setup won't laugh off. I've read the RFX can be quite the trail bike in 6x6 and 5x6...maybe one of those would be the happy compromise for you, depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing. Curious, how does it climb with the 7" fork?
I recently rode trails near my old stomping ground which are pretty much all shield rock, very similar to your pics. I put on my clipless pedals and found that it climbed surprisingly well.

Once I got over the weight issue (bike is approx 40lbs) I was able to clear and climb all the sections I could before, it definitely requires more effort and finess since the front end (and whole bike) sits higher but the Super T is quite plush which eats up a bit of travel as well as adjusting the crowns as low as possible. Keep in mind though that I call them "sections" since it's more like very tech climbs with only minimal elevation changes (20-60ft) at a time.

I'm always looking for drops & jumps on the trail and am a little hesitant about putting on a 6" single crown fork. The '01 rfx doesn't have the ultra beefy headtube like the '02 and even though I have a CK headet I'd feel forced to go with a SteelSet if I dropped a 6" fork on the bike.

I've just finished my new build (last night in fact!) and will post up a pic of it next week in the Hi-Ho Silver club since it's a polished frame :cool:

Clem

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats...Isn't It a Great Feeling!!

Very fun thread to read while looking at photos. Would like to see more of these type of threads, love pictures. Everytime I ride I clean more and more technical stuff and it is sooo exciting, especially when you can share it with the group.

Keep it up the good work Zilla ;)

Here is a West Coast Picture from last weekend.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Nice Pics!

When you're riding this stuff, all you see is what's in front of your wheel anyway. There are some rides local to me with great vistas and huge (many-hundred foot) exposures, but you only notice the views when you stop.

If you're ever in S. Utah, you've got to do the Gooseberry Mesa trail. It is full of obstacles like those in your pictures. The big difference is the rock is nearly always dry and traction is incredible. I'm sure the moss and roots make the riding harder.

Make sure you take some pictures with your new wheels, they sound great.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.