Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to enlighten me on this one? Craig?

Someone posts a trolling thread, some people respond to it, it recieves 1,100 views and it becomes "closed". Why?

I don't really care that much as it was a dumb thread as Mellow Cat pointed out, but I'm certainly curious. I assume that as intilicktwoals, if a thread is cosnidered "dumb" we're above allowing people to respond to it?

Incidentally Mellow Cat, I raise the BS flag on your contention that this is the DUMBEST post ever. I gaurentee you that most of my posts are far dumber. So there!

Ken

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Ken in KC said:

Someone posts a trolling thread, some people respond to it, it recieves 1,100 views and it becomes "closed". Why?

I don't really care that much as it was a dumb thread as Mellow Cat pointed out, but I'm certainly curious. I assume that as intilicktwoals, if a thread is cosnidered "dumb" we're above allowing people to respond to it?

Incidentally Mellow Cat, I raise the BS flag on your contention that this is the DUMBEST post ever. I gaurentee you that most of my posts are far dumber. So there!

Ken
Because it was a dumb thread that was going nowhere and I thought Mellowcat's post was a good note to end on.
You can still read it but it was time to let it die.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jeez. I read the post before it had any replies and ignored it after that. Disappointing to see it still appearing near the top of the board, but that is the worst thing about the new forums.

·
Out spokin'
11,159 Posts
Bad precedent IMO

shiggy©®™ said:
Because it was a dumb thread that was going nowhere and I thought Mellowcat's post was a good note to end on.
Intercourse should be encouraged. That's always been my feeling, ever since I was about eight years old.

ALL forms of intercourse. :D

--Sparty

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm all for freedom of...

speech, but that thread was below the way, way, way below the caliber normally found on this great forum.

I honestly felt dumb adding another comment to it, but it was time for it to die in my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions!

I've never seen any of your posts that dumb Ken!

MC

Ken in KC said:

Ken

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ken in KC said:

Ken
In my own defense.

Sure, it was a controversial joke, but there was an element of truth in it. Of course it was an exaggeration, that is what comedy is. You just find something odd that people do (like in our case, riding unigear bicycles), find out what is odd about it, and exaggerate it.

I was still in it. Most trolls just post and run, so I wasn't trolling. No, I wasn't about address all the vituperative replies, that would have just solicited more. I would guess this is just the usual "audience veto." It was something the audience didn't want to hear, so the local politicians (moderators here) have nothing to lose by banning it. Calling it "dumb" or some other invective without any attempt at rationalizing why it was so bad. Typical.

Anyway, I know when I am unwelcome, so goodbye. Don't hate me, just cause I think differently than you.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I read over it...

and it seemed dumb, but nothing worth closing the thread over. There were some threads that are closed now that took way longer to get closed, and were out of control completely.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had no idea...

shiggy©®™ said:
That you determine what the rest of us think regarding 'dumb' threads. I think the thread was dumb, but to close it simply because it was stupid seems sort of big brotherish to me.

While it was dumb, it generated over 1,000 hits while considerably less dumb posts have generated less than 10. Clearly this indicates interest in the post regardless of its intellectual worth.

I understand why you wanted to close it (because it was dribble), but I don't agree with actually using moderator super power to close a thread based on its intellectual value to the board. If we're going to use intelligence as a gauge, you may as well kick the following people off:

Ken in KC
Frank Tuesday
RiderX
Veels
LakeRaven
JD
Ernesto in Wisconsin
Drevil
Hurl
Diamond Dave

All the people listed above fall far below a normal intelligence rating, I suspect. As such they fall in the 'dumb' catagory and should be censured from posting based on their obvious dumbness.

Ken

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Gpa

Ken in KC said:
That you determine what the rest of us think regarding 'dumb' threads. I think the thread was dumb, but to close it simply because it was stupid seems sort of big brotherish to me.

While it was dumb, it generated over 1,000 hits while considerably less dumb posts have generated less than 10. Clearly this indicates interest in the post regardless of its intellectual worth.

I understand why you wanted to close it (because it was dribble), but I don't agree with actually using moderator super power to close a thread based on its intellectual value to the board. If we're going to use intelligence as a gauge, you may as well kick the following people off:

Ken in KC
Frank Tuesday
RiderX
Veels
LakeRaven
JD
Ernesto in Wisconsin
Drevil
Hurl
Diamond Dave

All the people listed above fall far below a normal intelligence rating, I suspect. As such they fall in the 'dumb' catagory and should be censured from posting based on their obvious dumbness.

Ken
I knew my low GPA wouldn't amount to anything here. I'll just keep on taling about gnomes, this vs. that, ENO, and most importantly, milfs.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Further proof...

LakeRaven said:
I don't mean to quibble, but shouldn't it be drivel instead of dribble?

g
That Ken in KC is a class A, Moe-ron.

·
Out spokin'
11,159 Posts
I disagree.........................

Ken in KC said:

Ken in KC
Frank Tuesday
RiderX
Veels
LakeRaven
JD
Ernesto in Wisconsin
Drevil
Hurl
Diamond Dave

Ken
I disagree wholeheartedly, which proves your point perfectly.

--Sparty

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thin Skin and Whining...

Quasi said:
In my own defense.

Sure, it was a controversial joke, but there was an element of truth in it. Of course it was an exaggeration, that is what comedy is. You just find something odd that people do (like in our case, riding unigear bicycles), find out what is odd about it, and exaggerate it.

I was still in it. Most trolls just post and run, so I wasn't trolling. No, I wasn't about address all the vituperative replies, that would have just solicited more. I would guess this is just the usual "audience veto." It was something the audience didn't want to hear, so the local politicians (moderators here) have nothing to lose by banning it. Calling it "dumb" or some other invective without any attempt at rationalizing why it was so bad. Typical.

Anyway, I know when I am unwelcome, so goodbye. Don't hate me, just cause I think differently than you.
First, your post wasn't a joke. It was drivel (or dribble, if you will). For clarity, an exaggeration has an element of truth to it. For example: We went on a 30 mile ride. Well, my riding partners went on a 30 mile ride and I went on a 25 mile hike with my bike and a 5 mile ride. Hope that helps.

Second, you were trolling. More precisely, you were trolling on a subject about which you have very little knowledge. And then you defended your troll as humor. Most jokes don't need to be defended.

It's 'dumb' because it was baseless and provided very little of value, especially comedic. It was dumb because you have been riding a mountain bike for all of six months by your own admission, so you're grounds for making the "joke" are pretty shaky. Understand that I'm not a champion to your cause, I'm discussing the closing on principal. I happen to agree with Shiggy. I don't agree with his subsequent actions. Hope that makes sense to you.

Hate, Unwelcome and Goodbye
I suggest that no one on this board hates you. We don't know you. So we're apathetic towards you at this point.

Unwelcome? HA! Now that <i>is </i>funny! You pop up on the singlespeed BB, post a disparaging thread regarding SSers, defend your OP as humor and then you suggest that you're unwelcome. Here's a hint for you: Despite being too stupid to shift and generally a pack of drunken hoolligans, the people on this board with whom I've ridden are fairly bright. If you're going to troll (or tell "jokes"), you should be prepared to engage board.

Goodbye! More funny stuff! You seem to be suffering from some sort of medical condition. I'm no doctor, but your dermis and epidermis may to entirely too fragile to ride trails. You may want to get that looked at before your next ride.

Hugs and Kisses,

Ken

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Hollywood

Ken in KC said:
Ken in KC
Frank Tuesday
RiderX
Veels
LakeRaven
JD
Ernesto in Wisconsin
Drevil
Hurl
Diamond Dave

Ken
But what about Hollywood? Didn't he do something so lame as to post pictures of his brake up? he even went out with a pink fork or something, did the SOC and even had Zap (gawd! I hate that guy!) give me the bird. Whattup with that? How come you didn't include his name on the "list of the lame" up above? here, I'll do it, and in alphabetical order:

Diamond Dave
Drevil
Ernesto in Wisconsin (that's ME! and it goes like this: ernesto_from_Wisconsin)
Frank Tuesday
Hollywood
Hurl
JD
Ken in KC
LakeRaven
RiderX
Veels

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Ken in KC said:
First, your post wasn't a joke. It was drivel (or dribble, if you will). For clarity, an exaggeration has an element of truth to it. For example: We went on a 30 mile ride. Well, my riding partners went on a 30 mile ride and I went on a 25 mile hike with my bike and a 5 mile ride. Hope that helps.

Second, you were trolling. More precisely, you were trolling on a subject about which you have very little knowledge. And then you defended your troll as humor. Most jokes don't need to be defended.

It's 'dumb' because it was baseless and provided very little of value, especially comedic. It was dumb because you have been riding a mountain bike for all of six months by your own admission, so you're grounds for making the "joke" are pretty shaky. Understand that I'm not a champion to your cause, I'm discussing the closing on principal. I happen to agree with Shiggy. I don't agree with his subsequent actions. Hope that makes sense to you.

Hate, Unwelcome and Goodbye
I suggest that no one on this board hates you. We don't know you. So we're apathetic towards you at this point.

Unwelcome? HA! Now that <i>is </i>funny! You pop up on the singlespeed BB, post a disparaging thread regarding SSers, defend your OP as humor and then you suggest that you're unwelcome. Here's a hint for you: Despite being too stupid to shift and generally a pack of drunken hoolligans, the people on this board with whom I've ridden are fairly bright. If you're going to troll (or tell "jokes"), you should be prepared to engage board.

Goodbye! More funny stuff! You seem to be suffering from some sort of medical condition. I'm no doctor, but your dermis and epidermis may to entirely too fragile to ride trails. You may want to get that looked at before your next ride.

Hugs and Kisses,

Ken
Good post, Ken. A (bad) joke would be something like:
Why do DHers bike uphill? opps...they don't. :rolleyes:

I will be more careful the lock. This board is pretty self-regulating.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ken in KC said:
It was dumb because you have been riding a mountain bike for all of six months by your own admission, so you're grounds for making the "joke" are pretty shaky. Hugs and Kisses,

Ken
So, if somebody has only been riding a mountain bike for six months they have no authority to make comments or observations in this forum. The are all dumb by definition. Is this what you were told when you were given authority to close threads? Is this mtbr policy?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Obtuse...

Quasi said:
So, if somebody has only been riding a mountain bike for six months they have no authority to make comments or observations in this forum. The are all dumb by definition. Is this what you were told when you were given authority to close threads? Is this mtbr policy?
Not very good at reading for context, are you? Someone who has been riding a mountain bike (a geared, full suspension mountain bike at that) has no foundation on which to gauge or judge those who choose to ride singlespeeds. As such, your "humor" was deemed dumb. Perhaps ignorant would be a better term, but we've already established that SSers aren't too bright, so you'll have to excuse us because 'dumb' is easier to type than 'ignorant'.

Shiggy has been given the authority to close threads because he's even more dumber than the rest of us and has graciously agreed to moderate this board. Akin to herding cats if you ask me. He has every right to moderate or manage the board as he sees fit and does a damn fine job of it to boot. I'm certainly not dumb enough to want anything to do with moderating on any of these boards.

I thought that you thought that we hated you, made you feel unwelcome and you were leaving? What gives?

Ken

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
kick away, my man

ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
But what about Hollywood? Didn't he do something so lame as to post pictures of his brake up? he even went out with a pink fork or something, did the SOC and even had Zap (gawd! I hate that guy!) give me the bird. Whattup with that? How come you didn't include his name on the "list of the lame" up above?
feel free to boot my joker ass off this crazy thing at a moments notice! If I can't contribute to the latest "Should I use chaintugs?" thread then I will most likely come up with something a little off the beaten singletrack. Like breaking up with a fork. Or racing Sea Otter in a 'Maiden t-shirt. Or racing my cruiser in SoCal at Term's cotillion in a mullet wig. I never did see the thread in question, so I have no idea what I'm talking (typing) about, other than responding to ErNestO and KC Ken. What ever happened to ErNestO's "Who Would Win...?" threads? I still swear it would be Spiderman, f*ckers.

striving to be lame,
HW

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts