Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never heard of Ibex until I started reading this forum. Some mention the name and recommend the bikes but I wanted to ask the users, isn't it risky buying a bike without even seeing it or test rising it?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Sure it's risky. But isnt buying a Santa Cruz or Turner risky as well? Lols... If you do your homework you usually know what you're getting and how the bikes will ride. Both my Ibex bikes i've gotten have come out above my expectations for sure... Jack has always found a way to blow people away on how the bikes ride. Just simply amazing.

I bought my Ibex Zone in January 07 and have been beating on that bike for quite a while. It's still going strong and asking for more and is currently my race bike and weapon of choice for most of the riding i do. Earlier in 08, i took the plunge again and got an Ignition and once again i was blown away by how the bike rode. All the other Ibex bikes i've ridden have basicly kicked butt as well and just straight out performs...

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
bwheelin said:
I'd consider Ibex but I would be guessing what size I am.
Check this link out...
http://www.ibexbikes.com/sizing_index.html

Also, give Ibex a call and they'll talk to you about sizing...
1-888-741-1464

One thing about testriding a bike, most LBS will only let you test ride it in a parking lot which is just stupid imo. You're not gonna be able to get the feel of the bike from that anyways... lols.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
There are a few things you can do to soothe your on line pains, call Ibex & talk, send Ibex a email to discuss, take the knowledge you have & make a decision. Is it risky buying on line well that depends on you & your past history on line. Your guard is always up which makes your decision tougher on you, dont make others influence your choice so you can blame them on your faults. :rockon:

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're serious, call and talk to Jack about sizing. I figured it was a $100 gamble, both on sizing and whether I actually liked the bike. It worked out, the 18 fit me perfectly, and the Asta does what it says. Mine's heavier than advertised, but it climbs great, and the components are top notch. If you can afford to ship it back, and still buy another bike, I say go for it. If the $100 (or so) is too much to gamble, you might be better off buying from an LBS or getting something used. You probably won't get as much bike, but you'll have peace of mind. For me, a pretty hardcore xc rider (not racer), the Asta was a great choice.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
bwheelin said:
I've never heard of Ibex until I started reading this forum. Some mention the name and recommend the bikes but I wanted to ask the users, isn't it risky buying a bike without even seeing it or test rising it?
I will chime in since I have never bought a bike from an LBS and have made five or so purchases online.

1) You have to realize that the only thing that changes from manufacturer to manufacturer is the frame and frame geometry. If you are buying a hardtail, there are even less variables than buying a full suspension.
a) With new suspension designs, wait for reviews from others. Hardtails are hardtails, frames can get lighter, more technologically advanced, and better riding, but even cheap aluminum frames ride well with good components.

2) All components are made by companies that are used on bikes universally. A Shimano Deore XTR is the same on the Ibex as whatever Trek/Giant/Specialized brand. You know the component, you know what you are getting.

Thats why buying a bike is not really that much guesswork if you know everything that comes with the bike, the only surprise being that bikes look better in person than in pictures!

AND ONE LAST THING
When you test ride at a local bike shop, you're not getting a real test ride anyways. If you cant touch dirt with the bike, then you don't really know how it will handle on the trail anyways.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Compare frame specs...

bwheelin said:
As the others said, parking lot demos suck. They tell you nothing. That said, check the frame sizing specs (top tube, head angle, etc...) and compare it to some popular brands that might be found in a local shop. That's what I did. Component wise there is no way the LBS can TOUCH that level for the price.

--
Bill

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
mrpercussive said:
Sure it's risky. But isnt buying a Santa Cruz or Turner risky as well? Lols... If you do your homework you usually know what you're getting and how the bikes will ride. Both my Ibex bikes i've gotten have come out above my expectations for sure... Jack has always found a way to blow people away on how the bikes ride. Just simply amazing.

I bought my Ibex Zone in January 07 and have been beating on that bike for quite a while. It's still going strong and asking for more and is currently my race bike and weapon of choice for most of the riding i do. Earlier in 08, i took the plunge again and got an Ignition and once again i was blown away by how the bike rode. All the other Ibex bikes i've ridden have basicly kicked butt as well and just straight out performs...
I think you're making lofty claims again.

For one, it's not a direct comparison to bring Santa Cruz or Turner into this. Ibex is simply a label slapped on catalog frames made to hit a price point. Not that it's bad or anything because more people riding is a good thing. The criteria is simply different. Some people buy more high dollar brands because there's a need addressed that is built in with the purchase. In the case of some of the pricier brands out there, they are not made to hit a price point. They are made to offer the best performance, quality, or other combination with little price restriction to do so. This is also good for those whose needs are addressed.

Additionally, test rides are available quite easily with both of the above mentioned brands. Additionally, buyers buying into those brands are generally educating themselves into the minutia of what is offered before dropping lots of money down. Again, an unfair and inaccurate comparison by percussive. There is a different type of customer for a different type of product offered.

What is lofty here is the impression of Ibex first making their own frames and Jack being a mastermind frame builder. Additionally, words like "Blown away" and all this other guerilla advertising spiel is readily apparent to those who have not forgotten the recent history of the Ibex forum members and the behavior of the owner.

Buy what you want, but don't be taken in by those on the forum using Amway motivational wording in their responses. Ibex can be a good choice, but remember that they make them to hit a price point. Even the Motobecane guy admits that as well. He will offer the best performance at a price range.

·
Just ride
1,048 Posts
I've bought bikes both from my LBS and just recently online through Ibex.

From my experience, aside from a brief testride of a bike at your LBS, your paying $$$ more to get the "support" of your LBS. Either way, they're going to charge you to do work on the bike right? So what "support" are they giving you?

Buying online is a gamble, but I think Ibex has been proven time and time again

·
Trail runner & mtn biker
42 Posts
Just for the record, Ive been riding my Super Ignition in the mtns of western NC since March and I have no complaints. The only problems that I have experienced are related to cable stretch, which happens to all bikes. The Ibex sizing chart was right on target for me. (5ft 10in)

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:

For one, it's not a direct comparison to bring Santa Cruz or Turner into this. Ibex is simply a label slapped on catalog frames made to hit a price point. Not that it's bad or anything because more people riding is a good thing. The criteria is simply different. Some people buy more high dollar brands because there's a need addressed that is built in with the purchase. In the case of some of the pricier brands out there, they are not made to hit a price point. They are made to offer the best performance, quality, or other combination with little price restriction to do so. This is also good for those whose needs are addressed.

Additionally, test rides are available quite easily with both of the above mentioned brands. Additionally, buyers buying into those brands are generally educating themselves into the minutia of what is offered before dropping lots of money down. Again, an unfair and inaccurate comparison by percussive. There is a different type of customer for a different type of product offered.

What is lofty here is the impression of Ibex first making their own frames and Jack being a mastermind frame builder. Additionally, words like "Blown away" and all this other guerilla advertising spiel is readily apparent to those who have not forgotten the recent history of the Ibex forum members and the behavior of the owner.

Buy what you want, but don't be taken in by those on the forum using Amway motivational wording in their responses. Ibex can be a good choice, but remember that they make them to hit a price point. Even the Motobecane guy admits that as well. He will offer the best performance at a price range.
EDIT:
better put
its risky buying anything without doing your homework, period.
You are going to get talked by sales people, and they might not even tell you the truth. Edumacate yourself and find the best bike for your use.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:

wasnt comparing... was simply stating about testrides... Also, Ibex does design their own. Not all are from designs which are sourced out from elsewhere. Afaik, the Atlas is the only one i think... Still, that frame kicks some butt... XD

I agree about the different target customers... But i stand by my claims. You just need to learn to read and understand rather than assume...

Also with Jack getting banned, it was provoked as you well know. I'm sure you would've acted in the same manner. We have not forgotten the recent history... And probably never will... We just see it in a different point of view then you do...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ordered one of their Ignition 1's about 3 months ago and could not be happier. I believe someone mentioned earlier about the components being the components just the frame differences in geometry and suspension types. This is pretty true. I was like you afraid to buy before I try as well, but I did know a few people who had bought Ibex bikes before and been very happy. So I bought the low end bike just so I would not be out a ton of money if I did not like it, and I ended up loving it. Sure all the bottom end components left a little to be desired, but the frame was just awesome. I have since upgraded everything to higher end components and my Iggy has turned out to be a great bike. With all the upgraded components I wouldn't go as far as to say it is as good or better than my brothers Ellsworth Epiphany, but I don't think it is all that far behind it either. I did have a problem with the fork that came on my bike and the Customer Service was great. They sent me a new fork before I even sent them the old fork back. I have heard nothing but great things about their customer service from everyone I have spoken with. Just my 2 cents

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Shoalwater said:
I ordered one of their Ignition 1's about 3 months ago and could not be happier..........So I bought the low end bike just so I would not be out a ton of money if I did not like it, and I ended up loving it. Sure all the bottom end components left a little to be desired, but the frame was just awesome. I have since upgraded everything to higher end components and my Iggy has turned out to be a great bike.

J/K:lol:...............

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Shoalwater said:
I ordered one of their Ignition 1's about 3 months ago and could not be happier. I believe someone mentioned earlier about the components being the components just the frame differences in geometry and suspension types. This is pretty true. I was like you afraid to buy before I try as well, but I did know a few people who had bought Ibex bikes before and been very happy. So I bought the low end bike just so I would not be out a ton of money if I did not like it, and I ended up loving it. Sure all the bottom end components left a little to be desired, but the frame was just awesome. I have since upgraded everything to higher end components and my Iggy has turned out to be a great bike. With all the upgraded components I wouldn't go as far as to say it is as good or better than my brothers Ellsworth Epiphany, but I don't think it is all that far behind it either. I did have a problem with the fork that came on my bike and the Customer Service was great. They sent me a new fork before I even sent them the old fork back. I have heard nothing but great things about their customer service from everyone I have spoken with. Just my 2 cents
sweet dude... how's the build coming?? can we get some spy shots? :D

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Give him a break JC. He is pushing 15 years old.

Remember how excitable and impressionable you were back then?

·
Just ride
1,048 Posts
I don't understand the allure of coming into others' forum and trash talking. Did mommy not hug you enough when you were a kid? Gotta get your self esteem up online now?

Your negativity isn't wanted here...so go away...

-Have a nice day

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.