Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question.

I am a serious lurker and whatever at welders' forums. I have just bought $2000 of gear to TIG, because I know that I can MIG Al but there is a difference.

So. OK. I realise why someone might want to build a frame....but a whole _forum_?

Sorry. I understand the ethos, not the sheer number of people.

Nick

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think many will guess what +1 means in here (A trials riding reference), Old Nick, to address your question, it seems in cycling that riders eventually get beyond bolt on modifications and want to "do it their way". I know what got me started was nothing was available that suited my needs (or so I thought). There is also lots of information, books, schools and experts regarding frame building. This forum is a bit weird, my guess is people are putting out their artistic creations for the public to view, some for the first time. There are plenty of cool people who post and lurk who have mad skills and can and will answer your question. but like real people, we all are jerks sometimes :thumbsup:

·
NEPMCPMBA President
928 Posts
verticult said:
I don't think many will guess what +1 means in here (A trials riding reference
Uh, while trials have been around for a long time (much longer than the internet as we know it, I believe), I don't think the "+1" has anything to do with it.

"+1" has been around for years on all internet forums as a way to express "me, too" to an idea or question.

I think beatafool was echoing my question.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
OldNick said:
Serious question.

I am a serious lurker and whatever at welders' forums. I have just bought $2000 of gear to TIG, because I know that I can MIG Al but there is a difference.

So. OK. I realise why someone might want to build a frame....but a whole _forum_?

Sorry. I understand the ethos, not the sheer number of people.

Nick
Thats alot of money to spend on a welding machine just to ask a stupid question.

·
Registered
421 Posts
man why all the bad vibes...jeeze. my reason for wanting to build more frames is because i like working with my hands and it's something that i believe that i can be good at. at some point in time i would love to start selling, but at my pace i will be fifty before that ever happens. i guess i could just as well make furniture and i would like to, but bicycles is where my passion is so that's where my efforts are going.

what is it that you make with your gear. and to address the money...there are alot of guys on this forum who have spent thousands on bikes even though they will never make a dime on their investment.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
I don't care if he makes a million or nothing on his investment...but he started this whole conversation by declaring how much he spent on his welding rig. He then went on to ask why anyone would build a bike frame..? His use of _ around _ words has to be one of the biggest crimes against leet speak there is.

"Serious question." <-- FTL

·
Registered
714 Posts
OldNick said:
The hardest part of building a whole forum is tacking it together. Getting the electrons to stay still while someone holds a TIG torch to 'em is hard. Once it's tacked though, it's not a lot of effort--so i think that's why folks saw the need to built a whole forum.

·
Gabe.....
1,182 Posts
Why build frames? .........................my ego DEMANDS it. I'm possessed by an insatiable bike jones which constantly challenges me to try new things as it applies to geometry and bike genre....when a project is done my ego says, "yeah, look what we did....now let's try something different". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
439 Posts
I imagine it's one of those things where one's tone is subtly off, giving offense to people who have invested a lot of time and passion into a subject. Perhaps the OP meant: "With inexpensive, relatively high-quality frames so readily available now, I'm curious what motivates builders to put so much effort into building their own." While that seems a bit done to death as well around here, at least it's a valid question.

·
Registered
576 Posts
what i find interesting is that he said "i know i can MIG Al, but there is a difference"
yea... no kidding... however, i gotta wonder, if he just spent 2k on a welding setup that can run AC/high freq. does he already know HOW to TIG aluminum? I'm sure you guys know, its no easy task to master. and beyond this, PLEASE correct me if i am wrong, but if you build an aluminum frame, dont MOST decent/strong alloys require heat treating, and if they dont (ie: 7005) they are EVEN MORE complicated to weld?

I'm a welder (TIG and MIG, AWS certified) by profession and a mountain biker (because i love it!) and I've begun lurking, reading, and toying with the idea of building a frame myself... you guys will probably see lots more questions from me in the future... so..
Hi, my name is Kevin, and i want to build myself bike frames... oh... WHY!????

my reasoning is, i enjoy fabricating stuff, and i can't think of something more satisfying than building my own frame, and riding it on the trails knowing it is a creation of my mind and hands.... that and the ego stroke it would be to have someone ask "who built that frame?" :thumbsup:

was he asking why an internet forum for frame building? EASY ANSWER:
because most people building frames for themselves are not professional frame builders, and many are not professional welders... its a hobby and not a full time job, and as a result, people need to get info fast since they dont have a crap ton of spare time to sit around and research it... SO you have a community of frame builders of all kinds who can help each other out. if he doesnt get that, i wonder how far he will get trying to TIG weld aluminum bike frames!

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Why ask why?

Why brew your own beer, when Bud Light 18 packs are $9?
Why cook your own food, when Mickey D's is right down the street?
Why buy something made by a craftsman, when the new Super Wal-Mart just opened?
Why ride your bike, when your SUV has so many cup holders?
Why go outside and get some exercise, or do some work, when the internet is beckoning from your computer screen?

Wait. Er. Hmm. I gotta go.

-Walt

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I really love bikes and wish I had the know how to build my own frames. For some reason that wouldn't seem like work to me, but fun. It is probably a lot less work to mow the lawn, but I hate to do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.