Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So down the street from where I live there is a short but fun little trail system to ride. Unfortunately, bikes aren't legally allowed to ride there, maybe I'm an ******* for riding it but I feel like if my tax dollars pay for it, I should be entitled to ride it. Anyways today this older woman was all condescending telling me bikes aren't allowed because it ruins the root system. I found it hard to believe that was the truth but maybe I'm wrong. To me it seems like they are afraid of bikes running into people on the trails. What other reasons are there for not allowing bikes on trails?
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Maybe you are a ***** for riding it. Are you sure it uses your tax dollars? And even if it does, that doesn't automatically give you rights to it. Does that mean you can drive your 4x4 there too? You can't ride a bike down highways/expressways even though your tax money pays for them too.
By breaking the rules, you make it harder, if not impossible to get the rules changed to allow you or other bikers there. Just another excuse for them to say, "those damn bikers are too dangerous".

The main reasons for not allowing bikes is trail damage and danger to hikers. It's hard to get around the danger to hikers excuse.

Bikes absolutely do cause damage to trails. But the extent of trail damage is highly disputable.

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/ManageMaintain/WKeenImpacts.html
"The EA document introduces the concept that different user groups have varying levels of physical impacts on trails noting that hiking and biking have similar impacts "
"A 2001 study performed by botanist Richard Reader of the University of Guelph (Canada) noted that "We've found that hikers have the same effect as bikers do, regardless of the number of trips along the path. In reality, both are equally damaging to the environment."

Find out who controls the trail and why bikers aren't allowed. Then see what it would take to change their mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,705 Posts
I ride my bike on hiking trails all the time, there's no comparison when you're looking for the gnarliest, tightest, steepest singletrack out there, not even with my local DH resort. A lot of trails are perfectly suited for DH/FR. The walk/carry up is enough to kill you in some cases though.

Some hikers don't mind, some think it's cool, some are douchebags about it. C'est la vie. Just try not to lock the brakes too much or run into people.
 

·
N* Bomber Crew
Joined
·
4,271 Posts
I am the reverse of what you're preaching. I'm all about segregation. Trails exclusively for bikers, hikers, and horseback riders. Those three never mix well together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
I agree with Raptor; since I live in Marin, I'm forced to share trails on the few legal ones we got. But if I had a choice, I'm all for segregation. What biker would actually want a hiker or horse on their trail??
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
If it's the Beekman

property, you should know the JACKSONVILLE WOODLANDS ASSOCIATION raised the funds to buy it and rescue it from developers.

Seems to me they have every right to expect you to stay off their pathways.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Raptordude said:
I am the reverse of what you're preaching. I'm all about segregation. Trails exclusively for bikers, hikers, and horseback riders. Those three never mix well together.
Not what I meant. In fact I was trying to get the point across that single use trails are a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
You'll answer this question someone you know gets hit by a mountain biker on one of these trails. Usually mountain bikers, hikers, hippies, bums and horseback riders don't mix. And when they do, just hope your brakes work.

On the other hand, there should be less hiking trails and more biking trails :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Gman said:
but I feel like if my tax dollars pay for it, I should be entitled to ride it.
We got the same load of crap from a motorcyclist who was poaching a multi-use trail recently. That trail is trashed from poaching motos.
:rolleyes:

Your tax dollars don't contribute dick to that trail. :idea:
If your lucky it bought dinner for a pro-biking lobbyist, or maybe a gallon of water for our pals in Iraq.

The only way to "buy" the right to ride a trail is if you buy the property, or you purchase access rights from the owner. Otherwise we are all guests and should behave accordingly.

Try building your own trail and you'll agree, invite only is fair game.

That's not to say you can't poach a beer from the fridge, but at least recognize you stole it and maybe be discrete so others might continue to get away with the same.
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
FM said:
We got the same load of crap from a motorcyclist who was poaching a multi-use trail recently. That trail is trashed from poaching motos.
:rolleyes:

Your tax dollars don't contribute dick to that trail. :idea:
If your lucky it bought dinner for a pro-biking lobbyist, or maybe a gallon of water for our pals in Iraq.

The only way to "buy" the right to ride a trail is if you buy the property, or you purchase access rights from the owner. Otherwise we are all guests and should behave accordingly.

Try building your own trail and you'll agree, invite only is fair game.

That's not to say you can't poach a beer from the fridge, but at least recognize you stole it and maybe be discrete so others might continue to get away with the same.
;)
He's actually right, your taxes won't do **** to the trail. Unless you pay your taxes to the landowner....
Anyhow, i'm actually cool with hikers and maybe even horseback riders as long as they're cautious and know how **** goes..
What I hate are bikers (enduro riders-motocrossers) those guys really know how to trash a trail...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
"Bikers and hikers are damaging to the environment"

DAMAGING TO THE ENVIRONMENT?

DOES THAT REALLY SAY DAMAGING TO THE ENVIRONMENT??

Is that a joke? Come on people..
 

·
addict
Joined
·
347 Posts
On the Downhill-Freeride forum?!?

Luigiugueto said:
What I hate are bikers (enduro riders-motocrossers) those guys really know how to trash a trail...
This forum is the last place I would expect to find this. Granted there are people in any group of trail users that give the rest a bad name, I try to be an ambassador of responsible trail use however I may be enjoying it, be it on my moto, shuttling dh, riding my xc bike, running with my dog, or hiking. I will admit that I am the first to cringe when I hear a moto in the vicinity of my favorite trails, more people should follow this guy's lead:

http://www.motosapiens.net/manifesto.html

Just my 2 cents. Ride On:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
powderhound82 said:
This forum is the last place I would expect to find this. Granted there are people in any group of trail users that give the rest a bad name, I try to be an ambassador of responsible trail use however I may be enjoying it, be it on my moto, shuttling dh, riding my xc bike, running with my dog, or hiking. I will admit that I am the first to cringe when I hear a moto in the vicinity of my favorite trails, more people should follow this guy's lead:

http://www.motosapiens.net/manifesto.html

Just my 2 cents. Ride On:)
Nice theories. They don't work in the real world.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top