Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
that’s how it is unless you buy a high end one, the important thing is be consistent stick to one gauge as long as it’s always wrong the same way and % you are good!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Seriously, what gives? I've invested a lot of money in this and still don't have an answer. At least two of these are close.

I received the accu-gage a week or so back. I don't know if I want to trust it. It's reasonable but -I'm used to my old gage. I'm not sure if I want to believe the 4-5 psi variant between the two.
I'm okay with having one and going by it all the time.
I put 14psi of air in my plus tire and it was pretty darn hard. At 20psi in my 29er x 2.35 it was pretty hard too.
I'm not sure I can believe that 15psi in the 29er is correct.
Equally 12 or maybe even 11 in the plus tire seems to be low too.
I need it mainly for the plus tire so I can dial in the 1/2 psi so that's fine.

But yep, differences are expected but when the variables are extreme it's hard to take it seriously.

I

·
Registered
424 Posts
that's how it is unless you buy a high end one, the important thing is be consistent stick to one gauge as long as it's always wrong the same way and % you are good!
So true. It doesn't really matter what number shows up, so long as you have the same gauge, all you need to do is find the number which works for you and stick to it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So true. It doesn't really matter what number shows up, so long as you have the same gauge, all you need to do is find the number which works for you and stick to it.
While I totally agree with this, it would still be helpful to have an accurate reading. Especially considering what you pay for the more expensive digital gauges.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Bit like a shock pump. I had an under reading pump so always though my fork was harsh. I have the brass Accu Guage and think it's fine. If I feel the tire is too hard, I let air out. Too soft, add more air!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
AccuGage is very nice unit, but it can be geetered by dropping it or poorly packed and shipped. so, sometimes these old skool copper tube gauges need to be calibrated (behind dial is a short S-curved leg that can be widened or narrowed with a fine touch and very small needle nose pliers)

as others say, consistency is what matters, so check pressure and roll out, and see how she rides, and then whatever pressure you like, stick with it.

I have many gauges and I think my topeak d2 is the most accurate

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I'm sticking with mech gauges like the Accugage. Simple bourdon tube mechanisms are pretty bulletproof. I have 45+ year old dial gauge that's banged around in my vehicles all that time and a 25 year old 0-45 psi pencil gauge and they're both still right on the money. They've both been dropped on the pavement many times.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Unless it's calibrated, you simply don't know how accurate it is. Drop it on the floor, that could knock it out of calibration. Precision means more than accuracy anyway, as the ideal pressure in tires, shocks, etc. is derived from experience.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
I'm sticking with mech gauges like the Accugage. Simple bourdon tube mechanisms are pretty bulletproof. I have 45+ year old dial gauge that's banged around in my vehicles all that time and a 25 year old 0-45 psi pencil gauge and they're both still right on the money. They've both been dropped on the pavement many times.
wow I dropped my accugage once on carpet and it was now 10psi stuck to the 0 marker
(reads 10 psi when pressure is actually 20)

had to go in and bend it back to zero

·
Registered
95 Posts
Knowing what PSI is irrelevant if you know how to use your hand to squeeze the tire and know how it will react on the trail. I grew up racing motocross, and would use this method. We would guess the PSI before checking, and were typically within 0.5 PSI of what the gauge read. Smaller volume tires its a bit more tricky, but how accurate does your tire pressure really need to be with the variety of terrain you encounter on a trail?
I start my rides with a bit higher pressure than I want, and let some out if I want more traction. If I don't need more traction, it will default to lower rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I purchased the accu-gage for a similar reason that many others have been.

High volume tires where 1/2psi makes a difference. And 1psi really changes the ride characteristics.

I used the new gauge prior to 2 rides, the 3rd time, it quit holding pressure (as in I the needle would slowly fall after removing gauge from valve stem). Bleh.

I'll probably swing by the local bike shop and pick up one of their digital gauges with 1/2psi readings.

I'm fine using the gauge on the Specialized floor pump for my 29er, and or the pressure feel with my hand -it's less noticeable than the plus tire.

The accu-gauge, in my opinion, wasn't a good purchase of $14.99. IF it's the same reading as another gauge then I'll be a little more trusting of it.

I like the gauge, just not sure of the accuracy and now am disappointed that the needle won't hold once removed from the stem. I liked it since it's a little difficult for me to read the dial -it allowed me to remove from stem to check the reading more easily.

And no I didn't drop the gague. No I didn't look at it awkwardly. No I didn't yell at it and make it feel bad. No it wasn't a full moon or whatever dumb excuses we can make up why it all of a sudden didn't work. Things just don't always work exactly correctly so we don't need to blame something else for that fact.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I bought a gauge from amazon, some big brand like toppeak. Problem was it varied by about 20% between readings.

Got the schwalbe 3-4 years ago now and it has read consistently even being bashed around in my toolbox. I haven't figured out how to determine if the reported numbers are correct but I know the numbers I like my tires to be at.

My biggest complaint about the schwalbe is that it has a power-off timeout that is set perfectly to how long it takes me to get the gauge onto the other wheel.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,613 Posts
I use an accu-gage. Mine's a little more recent and it has a rubber protective sleeve around it (dropped and buggered my last one).

I don't really care WHAT it reads. I just care that it's repeatable. It is that, at least.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My biggest complaint about the schwalbe is that it has a power-off timeout that is set perfectly to how long it takes me to get the gauge onto the other wheel.
My Schwalbe has been my primary gauge for years, then I got sick of the exact same thing with the power-off, so I bought the Accu-gage. They were so different I was shocked. That lead ne to the purchase of the Topeak the other day and now I'm even more confused. I wish I could calibrate all of them to read the same thing and go from there.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.