Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly every time I ride I struggle for the first 30 minutes or so. I get winded, legs ache, etc., but then it gets better and I'm able to have a good ride. Yes, I warm up/stretch. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I've had that problem all my life, even as a kid. My heart rate goes to the redline immediately, then after a while it settles down and all is well. Probably because I've often been skinny, but never been truly fit. Or maybe it has something to do with me coming from a long line of middle aged chest-grabbers. Hard to say. But regardless, I know what you mean, and it can be miserable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it's just a factor in exercise physiology...The body needs some time to warm up and get moving after prolonged periods of rest. I go through the same thing every time I go for a ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem with riding to the ride is its about 25 miles from my house to the trail. If I rode to the ride I wouldn't be able to ride...or get back home! *L*

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm right with you mate.
It takes me about 2-3km to get warmed up.
Prior to that my heart rate rockets and I feel decidedly uncomfortable.

I ride with a good friend who always goes out really hard direct from the trail head - I hate it.
Years ago I gave up chasing him and let my body settle in before I upped the pace, once that happens I can hang with him all day - he just seems to be able to start much faster.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Need a bit more info:

- general fitness level based on normal weekly exercise level? (i.e. how often do you work out and for how long? i'm trying to gauge whether your aerobically fit or if you just ride infrequently. If you're ride is 25 miles from your home, I'm guessing it takes a fair bit of work to get to the trail and you only ride the weekends?)
- trail conditions first 30 minutes vs. rest of the ride? Are you pointed uphill the first 30 minutes? You going over rocks and technical terrain right off the bat?
- do you ride by yourself or with others? That might affect how quickly you come out of the gate.
- what's your warmup routine like? If you're just half-assed stretching and shootin' the breeze while you have a quick cigarrette, you're not warming up. If you're riding at an easy pace along the first few miles of trail till you start sweating and finding your rythm, your warming up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Noe secrets to give, the first and last hill are always usually the hardest to deal with...just put some lube on your vag and deal with it.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
you just aren't warmed up enough, as evidenced by the fact that the effort of those first 30 mins makes you feel better the rest of the ride.

There's a big difference between warming up enough that your legs feel loose and you feel more active, and warming up enough that you build up your heart rate closer to your target range, which can be used as a good indicator of your general warmed-up-edness.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the same issue plus asthma too. I suffer for the first 2-4 miles then settle in near the back 'till the half way point. From there I can normally head to the front and not get in anyone's way.

During last nights ride I had a major asthma attack and had a hard time getting my lungs back. After a long steady fire road climb I regrouped and had one of my best rides ever. Just proves that sometimes you gotta hang in there even when it hurts. Giving up is the easy part.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've always had this problem no matter my fitness level from High school till now...I'm in my fourties. When I was in the military and had to do a PT test I always went out an hour early just to jog around the track in order to score well. I always thought it was my bodies’ way of rejecting the stress I'm exerting on it. I've also noticed that as the ride goes on I get stronger, maybe because I have a bigger glycemic tank...yep, I’m a Clyde.

One thing that really bothers me is when I start out on a group ride I tend to get excited/anxious and my heart rate get’s to the point where I think it's going to jump out of my chest…not a good feeling but I’ve learned to drop to the back of the pack and not worry ‘bout the pack until I get more comfortable…

·
El Gato Malo
4,373 Posts
Happens on every ride so I just take things slowly for the first 15 to 30 minutes and that includes not trying any above average technical features. After the warm-up is when the fun begins!

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Sounds completely normal, I take anywhere from 20-40minutes to warm up and get into the ride proper. At races a lot of the riders will spin for 30 minutes before the start so they can hit the first mile flying.

Those 30 mins are your warm up, not the couple of mins you doing right now and leave the stretching until after you've warmed up properly. Stretching cold muscles isn't going to do them any good at all. It's more important to stretch after the ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm the same way if I don't take time to warm up. It's about a 2 mile ride to my local trails so I just ride there for my warm up and then get off and stretch before I start which helps immensely.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yup the first 20 minutes of a ride are just like the first mile of a run or first lap of a hare scramble for me- uncomfortable, HR not getting up into the zone, and feeling really inefficient. Once the sweat starts and I begin to move some air, it's off to the races so to speak. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts