Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching ebay for either a used Stumpjumper or Enduro frame -- I go back & forth on which frame I would prefer to have. I currently have a ht & this will be my first fs.

Anyway, I have seen more Enduros for sale on ebay (several per week) than Stumpjumpers (1 every week or two). Any ideas why there are more Enduros forsale? Is the Stumpjumper that good of a bike that people hold on to them? Or, is Enduro a more popular model & thus there are more for sale? Perhaps people get the Enduro since it can do XC & some downhill, and then they decide to go one direction or the other? What do you think?

Thx.

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
journey said:
I have been watching ebay for either a used Stumpjumper or Enduro frame -- I go back & forth on which frame I would prefer to have. I currently have a ht & this will be my first fs.

Anyway, I have seen more Enduros for sale on ebay (several per week) than Stumpjumpers (1 every week or two). Any ideas why there are more Enduros forsale? Is the Stumpjumper that good of a bike that people hold on to them? Or, is Enduro a more popular model & thus there are more for sale? Perhaps people get the Enduro since it can do XC & some downhill, and then they decide to go one direction or the other? What do you think?

Thx.
I think some people bought more bike then they needed. While they loved the idea of all that extra travel, many of them might not have needed it. Further, the Enduro is the best climbing bike in the world so people with ton's of climbing may have found it a bit of a handful. Finally, those that started racing XC would have found it having too much travel and those racing DH or doing really big drops would have found it not having enough.

It's a solid bike, especially the 04 models- but many people would be better off with a Stumpjumper FSR instead.

Coolhand

·
Registered
15 Posts
journey said:

I just sold an Enduro a couple months ago, after only having it about a year. Personally, I found there to be FAR to much bob in the rear suspension. Sure you can lock it out, but then you're riding a jackhammer. It climbed great locked out, but unlocked it felt like a pogo stick. The bottom bracket sagged so much that pedals would clip anything larger than a golf ball on the trail. I'm pretty good with suspension set up, so I know it wasn't that.

On the other hand, extremely plush ride! Held the trail and downhilled great, but there are obviously trade-offs. I've now got a Kona Dawg Primo and love it.

Again, this is just my personal feelings/experience with the bike.

JT

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen that the '04 Enduro's come with pro-pedal, which would probably help the bobbing. I read a review in MBA on the '04 S-Works Edition of the Enduro -- the rear shock is the Fox Brain-IQ like the Epic and the front shock is anti-bob, too (I forget the model). The rear shock is mounted in the normal location on the Enduro, but there is a remote 'sensor' that is near the rear axle. Looked like a sweet bike, but the sticker price was more than what I paid for my current car ;-)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
journey said:
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen that the '04 Enduro's come with pro-pedal, which would probably help the bobbing. I read a review in MBA on the '04 S-Works Edition of the Enduro -- the rear shock is the Fox Brain-IQ like the Epic and the front shock is anti-bob, too (I forget the model). The rear shock is mounted in the normal location on the Enduro, but there is a remote 'sensor' that is near the rear axle. Looked like a sweet bike, but the sticker price was more than what I paid for my current car ;-)
I had the 03 enduro pro frame, and like other posters have said, it was just too much for me and my needs after riding it for about 2 weeks. I did not get along with the steeper head angle option cuz I run a xc-oriented f100x fork, and the slacker headangle (which I liked) had a bb too low and the seattube was too shallow for me; 68 or 69? I like 73 seattubes.
And yes, the rear shock was great on downhillls but did not like actively in the 4" mode to suit my tastes. I didn't want to spring for a platform or PUSH shock since I was in the frame cheap and I knew I could use the sale money for a lighter, more xc oriented frame.
The Stumpy would have been a better choice for m, the long climbs and the tight, singletrack, but if I was more into gnarly epic trailriding, the Enduro would be back at the top of my list.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
I got an '04 Enduro Expert 3 months ago and love it. The Fox Float RL with ProPedal is great. I don't notice any rear bob at all. I only lock it out if I'm on a paved road(have to ride a couple miles of paved road to get to the trailhead of my local ride). It is my first FS bike, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it felt the best out of the numerous bikes I test rode. Also, at 5'10 220lbs, I liked the idea of a beefier frame over the lighter Stumpy frame.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ride the spec 03, and at 190lbs, you'd think the bob would be an issue for me. It really isn't, it's a great aggresive trail bike and I have yet to really be turned off by any of its climbing capabilities.

The answer to the original question is that the markets probably just saturated with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts