1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, WTF!!

$80+ for Lycra shorts

$80+ for baggy shorts

Don't give R & D BS. I have three pairs of shorts and one is finally about to retire. I only wear baggy so I thought I would just cut the liner out, get a pair Lycra and wear that underneath. Just ridiculous how much that crap costs. Not just Specialized but any brand. :madman:

I want to buy over the internet instead of LBS, but it's hard getting the right fit and what's comfortable.

Also, why do moutain bike shorts have such different chamois than lyrcra shorts. Those lyrcra onces seem to have much better pads.

These shorts should come with vaseline cause your diffently getting fked in the a$$ :madmax:

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
you do get what you pay for. I have Pealr Izumi, Specialized, and one pair of Nashbar bibs that I use on the trainer. The Pearl and big S are close in quality and comfort. The Nashbar were cheap, and feel so.

The Pearl's fabric seems better than the big S, as far as wear goes, the pads seem to keep their shape longer also. I've worn out my fav Big S bibs, but I'll be damned if I'll pay $100, or $160 forthe team bibs.

Yeah, the good stuff from all the major manufacturers is priced the same, but christ, they're all made by workers in Thialand/korea/china/India, etc that would need 2 months worth of wages to buy them.

Technical fabrics aside, elaborate heat transfers aside, R&D aside, this stuff costs nearly nothing to make.

I did an electrical start up of a small heat transfer shop in Syracuse. He relocated from Quebec. Pealr Izumi was his major client. They shipped him huge containers of the fabric already cut in blocks to size, outline of cut included. Put the poster size transfer on the fabric-in the press for a few minutes at like 415 degrees, or like 220 celsius, and presto... one side of a jersey.

He did the Bert and Ernie ones, the Sierra Nevada, and others. Then shipped off to the sewing facility.

I guess they figure if were willing to spend THOUSANDS on the bike, a few hundred on quality duds ain't asking too much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Magdaddy's dead on...

There's nor reason for this stuff to be so expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I for one resisted shelling out for high end shorts for a long time, both lycra and baggies. However, after droping over $100 on a pair of Pearl Utrasensors and close to $90 on a pair of Fox High Frequency's i'll never go back. I rotate two pairs of each and (road and mtn) and have gotten two seasons so far from each set and their still going strong. In my estimation, the shorts are like the shoes. After experiencing the high end fit/comfort/performance, i'll never skimp again.

·
LukeB
56 Posts
ebay? bought some lycra bibs for about US$40 last week. And I just wear swim shorts on the bike over the bibs- no point in fanct shorts. Bought a set of bike baggies once and didn't get on. Swim shorts also have cooler designs :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Zoopa I'm with you. I bought some Ultrasensors. I visited my LBS and tried on a bunch and they fit the best. Their sizing is dead on for me. I have between a 34 and 35 waiste which puts me in the gray area for most.

I didn't buy the shorts at my LBS causet they were $95 which is above the $90 retail. Altrec had them for $75 with free shipping. I try to spend mony at the LBS but too much of a price break, also my LBS had to order my size.

I'm not very comfortable wearing just spandex so they will go under my baggies, except during races. Just feels goofy walking around in spandex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.