Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Heh, the ECC "stays locked down untill you hit a bump"...

The last thing I want when I am running ETA, even over a bump, is my fork extending back to 6" of travel.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Adjustable

Jm. said:
Heh, the ECC "stays locked down untill you hit a bump"...

The last thing I want when I am running ETA, even over a bump, is my fork extending back to 6" of travel.
You can adjust the threshold for when it releases. Set it high enough that it stays down during anything you'll do during climbing, and it will stay down until you hit that first bump at speed after the climb. Or release it manually.

I think the auto-release is meant for those times when you forget to release it after the climb. I remember quite a few seated climbs on my old Z1, where the fork was only pulled down maybe 1" or so. Sure enough, I forgot to extend it for the trail back down, and boy was it difficult to reach that lever and turn the ETA off when the fork was all packed down and bouncing off rocks and roots like crazy.

Ole.

·
Registered
92 Posts
they are extending their linup for 2005 a fair bit and i wouldn't be surprised if they did start selling to the US, although with their limited production capacity i dunno if they could get even near to producing the sort of volumes that selling in the US could require. Perhaps thats why they haven't started selling before?!?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
maybe I'm naive, but I have to believe that if they don't sell here it's for reasons that are grounded in comparative quality -- whether that's up-front quality when new, or quality of customer service.

I don't think you'll find too many UK riders lauding the benefits of Pace forks for many of the types of terrain that are found in some of the more technical venues of US mtb riding. every time I check with a UK MTB mag like Singletrack, what I see are trails that most of us could ride on Big Wheels or clown bikes. I can't imagine suspension is as critical an issue on such trails.

but who knows? maybe Pace forks are the unsung uncredited revolutionaries of the MTB suspension fork world, kinda like Whyte MTBs are going to revolutionize our view of front suspension.

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Ole said:
You can adjust the threshold for when it releases. Set it high enough that it stays down during anything you'll do during climbing, and it will stay down until you hit that first bump at speed after the climb. Or release it manually.
Nope, you misunderstand, I am saying that when the lever is locking the fork down, that I do NOT want it to come back up, even over a bump. Why? Because often times there are bumps before I want to unlock it, like a false summit, or a long climb that has a few ups and downs. That's what the 30mm of travel on the ETA is for, but I don't want it comming back up untill I am ready, not when it senses a bump. Maybe the descent is smooth and really doesn't have "bumps", IMO it's a pretty useless system and extra weight. I lock the fork down when I want it down, and unlock it when I want it up. Being able to choose when it comes back up is critical for me and I'm sure others. A "threshold" for ETA is useless to me, dangerous, and simply extra weight that I don't see any real use for.

Pace forks don't have a reputation in the US, they don't have a distributer, and they don't have advertising. Their 4lb 130mm air-fork is not super-impressive to me, we already have 145mm air forks weighing at 4.3lbs, 150mm forks weighing in at about 4.5lbs and so on. I don't know what they'd be "bringing" to the game that other manufacturers aren't currently offering, in terms of something usefull where there is a demand....

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
gonzostrike said:
maybe I'm naive, but I have to believe that if they don't sell here it's for reasons that are grounded in comparative quality -- whether that's up-front quality when new, or quality of customer service.

I don't think you'll find too many UK riders lauding the benefits of Pace forks for many of the types of terrain that are found in some of the more technical venues of US mtb riding. every time I check with a UK MTB mag like Singletrack, what I see are trails that most of us could ride on Big Wheels or clown bikes. I can't imagine suspension is as critical an issue on such trails.

but who knows? maybe Pace forks are the unsung uncredited revolutionaries of the MTB suspension fork world, kinda like Whyte MTBs are going to revolutionize our view of front suspension.

:rolleyes:
1. The Raleigh mountain bike team several years ago raced the World Cup with Pace forks so they can't be too bad
2. Maybe you should actually try riding in the UK before you start judging their trails, I have ridden there and can tell you that some of their trails are a load better than the USA.
Do you believe everything you see on TV too?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
british reviews are ignored by North Americans ?

Pace fork doesn't seem sophisticated enough compared to Fox Talas models. It is strange that British magazine did alot of reviews of other components and parts but it seem to be ignored by bikers on this side of continent.

Does anyone know the reason? Do we hate the British over there?

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
I have ridden there and can tell you that some of their trails are a load better than the USA.
Yeah, and this is an island smaller than the state of california, with few significant elavation changes. I'm sure there's a few nice trails there, but there's an exponentially larger amount of trails in the US, exponentially more open and undeveloped space, and there is no way that claim could be substanciated. Perhaps if you were making that claim about europe in general, taking into account the alps and such, but the island of england?

I'm not trying to bag on trails in england, but your comparission is rediculous for reasons of scale and diversity.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought I could be caustic and negative

Jm. said:
Nope, you misunderstand, I am saying that when the lever is locking the fork down, that I do NOT want it to come back up, even over a bump. Why? Because often times there are bumps before I want to unlock it, like a false summit, or a long climb that has a few ups and downs. That's what the 30mm of travel on the ETA is for, but I don't want it comming back up untill I am ready, not when it senses a bump. Maybe the descent is smooth and really doesn't have "bumps", IMO it's a pretty useless system and extra weight. I lock the fork down when I want it down, and unlock it when I want it up. Being able to choose when it comes back up is critical for me and I'm sure others. A "threshold" for ETA is useless to me, dangerous, and simply extra weight that I don't see any real use for.

Pace forks don't have a reputation in the US, they don't have a distributer, and they don't have advertising. Their 4lb 130mm air-fork is not super-impressive to me, we already have 145mm air forks weighing at 4.3lbs, 150mm forks weighing in at about 4.5lbs and so on. I don't know what they'd be "bringing" to the game that other manufacturers aren't currently offering, in terms of something usefull where there is a demand....
But, you take the cake! You have no way of knowing anything about Pace forks unless you have ridden one? Have you?

Jaybo

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
(edited to erase my bad behaviour and feelings toward Jm. for his ever-present drivel)

Jm. said:
Yeah, and this is an island smaller than the state of california, with few significant elavation changes. I'm sure there's a few nice trails there, but there's an exponentially larger amount of trails in the US, exponentially more open and undeveloped space, and there is no way that claim could be substanciated. Perhaps if you were making that claim about europe in general, taking into account the alps and such, but the island of england?

I'm not trying to bag on trails in england, but your comparission is rediculous for reasons of scale and diversity.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Jaybo said:
But, you take the cake! You have no way of knowing anything about Pace forks unless you have ridden one? Have you?

Jaybo
That's true - you have to ride a fork before you sign it off completely. BUT, given the reasoning that Jm gave behind ECC and why it wouldn't work for him I have to agree that I'd a bit suspicious of thier "innovations".

Incidentally, I used to read British Car magazines and if you believed everything they'd said you'd think that the Jaguar is the best car made ever. I can't blame the British for being biased towards their products but I'm not all that intersted in Pace forks either.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Picard said:
Pace fork doesn't seem sophisticated enough compared to Fox Talas models. It is strange that British magazine did alot of reviews of other components and parts but it seem to be ignored by bikers on this side of continent.

Does anyone know the reason? Do we hate the British over there?
I used to read several of the UK mags and found them a great deal more entertaining and interesting than the US offerings. More content too....OTOH they were eight bucks a pop... Hulllooo MTBR.:D

As for the Pace Products, IMO the reason they're not as popular is: market awareness, (advertising), availability and service (Send it back to the UK?). Competition is also steep. We have Marzocchi, Fox, Manitou, RockShox(flinch), RST and Whyte bros. If Pace want's in, they'll have to make a niche for themselves or come out with something that blows away the others in some combination of price, performance, and/or features.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would buy one....

Bikezilla said:
I used to read several of the UK mags and found them a great deal more entertaining and interesting than the US offerings. More content too....OTOH they were eight bucks a pop... Hulllooo MTBR.:D

As for the Pace Products, IMO the reason they're not as popular is: market awareness, (advertising), availability and service (Send it back to the UK?). Competition is also steep. We have Marzocchi, Fox, Manitou, RockShox(flinch), RST and Whyte bros. If Pace want's in, they'll have to make a niche for themselves or come out with something that blows away the others in some combination of price, performance, and/or features.
I don't think the perfect fork has been built. I like Fox Vanilla forks but I want travel reduction and no clunking. I like Marz. Z1 but they are too tall and heavy. I like the Manitou Minute but it is not as smooth as either Fox or Marz. I like the RS Pike but it is too tall. I need the perfect coil fork for my bike! It just doesn't exist yet.

Jaybo

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Shawn595 said:
....if you believed everything they'd said you'd think that the Jaguar is the best car made ever. .
Watch it Shawn, you don't want to rile up us Cat owners. A 20-year-old sedan without a rattle in it is nothing to sneeze at. On the other hand, the rebuilt parts I've put in it have been crap, but can't really blame Jaguar for that. You'd think Bosch would know how to build a starter by now...(I went through 5 of them in 6 months).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get your geography correct!!

What do you mean the island of England Jm.!, get your facts right, I live in Wales which has a lot more mountains than England, which is part of Great Britain or the United Kingdom along with Scotland also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Jm. said:

England isn't an island....we have wales and scotland bolted together. Great Britain is though (collective name for England, Wales and Scotland).

I run Pace forks. They are just as good as my mates marz marathon xcs and far better than my other mates SIDs (he is gonna kill me if he sees this lol...sorry Dayle).

Customer service is awesome, I dealt directly with them very recently....but I guess the smaller pruduction volumes help that.

If I built an Ellsworth Id bike....it would have Pave RC41 XCAM on it....but I can't afford that at the moment....another thing off topic....make me laugh when I see Americans complain about fuel prices....its 3 times as expensive here lol. Back on topic.

I have heard mixed things af american trails. I have seen ppl say they have to drive for miles to get to a trail...guess it all depends where you live. There are some very good trails in the UK with hills...Coed y Brenin in Wales is great for example. I live 4 miles form some nice wood, I am surrouinded by bridle ways (rights of way for horses and bikes).

We don't have the Sue your ass culture here...although I am afraid that is chainging unfortunately...plenty of ads on the tv saying "did you fal off a ladder...then get compensation". I have seen stories of ppl being stopped from using trails in the US uincase the land owner gets sued...how rediculus!.

Maybe it is some patriotism (Not something the English are famed for usually), but it is also that they are designed for muddy uk conditions. I opened mine up recently and they were very clean after years of use.

Its quite stange now aswell, when I bought my forks Pace were some of the most expensive. Flick through the mags now and Fox, Marz ... have plenty of forks more expensive. The Pace are a very good performer at a good price here.

It is nice for me to see you guys using hopes too.

Stu

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
Jm. said:

Closed minded?

There may be more trails in the US, but what actual % of land in the US is open to mountain biking?
I can assure you that there is more land access in the UK than in the USA if you take relative size of into account.

The UK may not have the elevation changes of say, Colorado, but the quality of trails is excellent and there is plenty of short technical climbing available to make up for the lack of overall elevation.

Anyhow, we're losing the point of the thread here, my apologies for that.

I've only ridden a bike with a Pace once and I quite liked the feel of it, but that was several years ago now.
Give Pace some credit, they could have given over to the three big players, Marzocchi, Rock Shox and Manitou years ago, but they haven't and they can't be doing too badly if they're still releasing new products. Face it, Pace haven't exactly gone the way of Halson have they?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.