Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Reba Race 29er. I am a bit under 200 lbs, so the suggested air pressure is 135+. At 135 I am bottoming out riding off a curb and a moderate push down on the bars goes through about 75-90% of the travel. I brought it up to 150+/140- and it seems better. Sag seems low, but jumping off a curb goes through about 85% of the travel. In general it seems to blow through the middle of the travel too fast. First ride also seemed pretty harsh but I think the rebound damping was too slow.

From what I've read Rockshox suggested air pressure is too high. This was the case with a Reba SL 26er that I had a couple years ago. If I remember correctly I ran that around 115.

This is a 120 reba 29er which I had a shop reduce to 100 before I ever rode it. What I'm wondering is if while reducing the travel the oil levels got screwed up or something which could be effecting how much air pressure it needs. Anything else that could cause it to need more air than normal?

Thanks!
slide

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, compression damping and lockout work. New settings seem to work pretty well. Out of the box the compression damping was set to 4 clicks from slowest. I upped it to 4 clicks from fastest. Went for a ride last night and it seemed pretty plush, but there wasn't a lot of high speed chatter on this ride, and I didn't really check if I was getting full travel or not.

Keen, think I was 145+/120- first ride. Just seems like I've got to put too much air in it, but going to get a couple more rides in and see how it does.

-slide

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think that when you reduce travel on the Reba you're going to have to use higher air pressure. I experienced the same thing after I knocked mine from 100 to 80. Think about it- when the travel is reduced, the size of the positive and negative chambers is altered. The positive shrinks and the negative grows. For the chambers to be that size before, the fork would have had to be compressed 20 mm. I weight 155 lbs and when my fork was 100 mm, I ran it at +100/-85. Now it's more like +120/-105 to get the same feel.

Granted, I just got the fork and don't know too mcuh about it (ran Fox before). But that's my thought. Maybe my fork is messed up too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.