Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Living Life with a Severe Traumatic Brain Injury is not Fun so go foe a Ride
741 Posts
27.5 + seemed popular a couple year ago.
Why are manufacturers dropping the 27.5+ on their 2020 models ???

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Because they have been slow selling in most of the world and people are moving onto 29" × 2.6".
Some makes are calling a 2.6" tyre a plus.
It looks to me that a 27.5" in standard and plus was a stop gap for people to learn about and move to 29" bikes.
27.5"+ is looking to be the rear wheel size for hardcore Emtb's.
Happy pedaling

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Because they have been slow selling in most of the world and people are moving onto 29" × 2.6".
Some makes are calling a 2.6" tyre a plus.
It looks to me that a 27.5" in standard and plus was a stop gap for people to learn about and move to 29" bikes.
27.5"+ is looking to be the rear wheel size for hardcore Emtb's.
Happy pedaling

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
Yup Ebikes are moving to 29x2.6 front/27.5x2.8-3.0 rear,, the grip n roll.
The 2 sets of wheels is not needed.
Imagine the saving$ no more car tires. :cool:

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I think what's happening is that wider rim/tire compatibility is just being incorporated into many bike models, and the idea of specifically having plus tire models is no longer as compelling.

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
I drank the kool-aid and picked up a 27.5+ hard tail at the end of 2017. I still have the bike, but mainly ride it with 29 x 2.3 wheel set now. There were just a few situations, mainly very steep, very rocky and loose over hard trail sections where the 27.5 plus really stood out and gave me the confidence to really fly downhill.

Conversely, your typical xc type of rolling terrain, pretty smooth with some embedded rock, the plus tires were a solution looking for a problem. There is just SO MUCH rotating mass that it just does not make sense for typical XC riding, which is what I mainly do.

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
Also, the model I purchased has been discontinued as of the last week or two (Specialized Fuse) The Fuse now comes as 29 x 2.6 only.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
Also, the model I purchased has been discontinued as of the last week or two (Specialized Fuse) The Fuse now comes as 29 x 2.6 only.
Not true, there is a 27.5 x 2.8 model available as well, just no more 3.0 as stock.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I don't know that it's dying. I think it was always a niche market, but everyone rushed to try and get a piece of that tiny pie. I think it will continue to be a niche market.

I also think more 27.5 bikes are now just designed to have room to go up to 2.8 if you want, like my 5010. I think that's a smarter way to go that trying to design a 29 bike that also rides well as 27+

29x2.8 is probably the next flavor of koolaid after 29x2.6.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I love my plus hardtail and looked forward to adding a full suspension version to the stable. This year's 29ers seem to handle better than the ones I rode last year, and so as much as I used to hate 29ers, the previous large increase in steering effort that I noticed last year seems to have been alleviated by some geometry changes in the numerous brands of bikes I have demoed this year with 29" wheels. I still think that for me, a smaller rider, 27.5 is a better fit on the terrain I ride. Even so, if I do buy a FS bike this year or next, I'm still on the fence about the plus wheels. For a hardtail I can't imagine it any other way. For a full suspension, there are just so many more tire designs available in 2.35-2.6" widths that I might end up on a non-plus bike just because of that.

If plus bikes aren't selling, it might just be ignorance. I honestly think most riders are faster on most terrain with a plus bike. I've only seen one person try to study that empirically, and plus was faster in the study.

If 27.5+ is dying, I'd be surprised to see that data.

If 27.5 is dying period and 29ers are the only way forward, I would be even more surprised to see that--smaller riders like me fit better with smaller wheels, even with the current gen of very slack bikes. I hope I'm not the only one who likes a lower and more flickable bike.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
smaller riders like me fit better with smaller wheels, even with the current gen of very slack bikes. I hope I'm not the only one who likes a lower and more flickable bike.
You're not. I am 5'8, ride a "plus" hardtail, and love it. I can put 29 x 2.6 wheels on it but I'm not going to as of right now. I'm so sick of product marketing cycles. The industry backed off a little when they came up with 3 (!) new hub standards in the space of 2 years, new BB standards that are still all over the place, new handlebar diameter standards...fat bikes fell off a cliff except for those that actually need them, so trying to cash in on that trend with some "chubby" tires probably made a ton of sense, but the sheer amount of models was overwhelming. No surprise the ones that didn't sell aren't still available.

And no, I'm not a beginner rider (30+ years and more mountain bikes than I can remember) nor am I out of shape, lazy or lack real tech skills. When I had a 27.5" bike (5010c v1), I longed for the ability to run bigger tires than 2.4's...if 2.6 would have fit in that non-boost rear end I probably still would be riding it, but since it couldn't I went 27.5+, and have now settled on 2.8". 3" was fun but was pretty slow, but I find the 2.8 (and possibly 2.6 someday) to be the sweet spot for me and my riding. But in 27.5, at least for me.

Ride what you like, ignore the mags, sites and forums like this, and HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I love my plus hardtail and looked forward to adding a full suspension version to the stable. This year's 29ers seem to handle better than the ones I rode last year, and so as much as I used to hate 29ers, the previous large increase in steering effort that I noticed last year seems to have been alleviated by some geometry changes in the numerous brands of bikes I have demoed this year with 29" wheels. I still think that for me, a smaller rider, 27.5 is a better fit on the terrain I ride. Even so, if I do buy a FS bike this year or next, I'm still on the fence about the plus wheels. For a hardtail I can't imagine it any other way. For a full suspension, there are just so many more tire designs available in 2.35-2.6" widths that I might end up on a non-plus bike just because of that.

If plus bikes aren't selling, it might just be ignorance. I honestly think most riders are faster on most terrain with a plus bike. I've only seen one person try to study that empirically, and plus was faster in the study.

If 27.5+ is dying, I'd be surprised to see that data.

If 27.5 is dying period and 29ers are the only way forward, I would be even more surprised to see that--smaller riders like me fit better with smaller wheels, even with the current gen of very slack bikes. I hope I'm not the only one who likes a lower and more flickable bike.
I have a short torso and my HT 120 mm with 40 mm rims 27.5, 3.0/2.8 is paradise. I would not go FS + but this is personal we have to find our match.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I think what's happening is that wider rim/tire compatibility is just being incorporated into many bike models, and the idea of specifically having plus tire models is no longer as compelling.
I think we have a winner. Most bikes with Boost spacing will fit a 2.8 tire, which is a small plus tire. Not as many bikes are being advertised to fit a 3.0 tire, but I think most Boost 29ers will fit 2.8/3.0 tires. It's the advertising that has disappeared, although plus hardtails might be dying out a bit. I don't know, I'm happy with my 27.5x3.8 tires.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.