Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are fat bikes overpriced? I'm not sure honestly, what's your opinion? This year we've already had low end fat bikes come out (mongoose dolomite and bikes direct stuff), so what's the deal here? I mean surly is going to be putting out the ICT for 2700$$, I could buy a used car for that price. I'm not really mad about the price because if I had that kind of money to throw around I would buy it in a second. I guess what I'm asking here is...is a fat bike really worth that much money or are we getting screwed here?

·
Registered
456 Posts
My CX/Road bike was "low end" and it was $1200
My XTR level MTB I managed to hobble together for only $2000
So my Fatbike with a similar level of parts on it seems quite reasonable at $2000.

Nobody forced me to buy anything, and I would never recommend a department store bike to anyone that can afford ANYTHING else.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You're paying for R&D and the "newness" factor.

Prices will settle over time

Even now they are in line with other premium hardtail models that are similarly equipped.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Econ 101:

1. Firms seeking to maximize profits will sell their wares for the highest price the market will bear.

2. Until recently FB were a very very niche market. A limited number of firms made/sold them and they required specialty parts. low supply/rare parts = higher prices

3....then they became popular. increasing demand = high prices.

Yes, some models are overpriced at the moment, but with the entry of several budget fatties in the market, I would expect a market correction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, I'm not really complaining about the expense, I just was curious to see if anyone knew anything that I didn't know.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I was down at EMS not long ago and they had a Kona Wo on the floor - spec'ed almost exactly like the FB4 Comp, but priced at $1700 instead of $900. If it was a non-fat the bike tech estimated it to be a $500 bike. Yes rims, tires and hubs are more expensive.

I am sure a price correction is in order and is already underway.

John

·
1,711 Posts
GOOOOOD. ANOTHER thread about "so expensive" fat bikes. The 20 other threads that are exactly the same will be waiting for it in the "do not resuscitate" section of this forum.... er, website. You know... the website that you are on that constantly reviews and it's users talk about $1500 - $8000 bikes.

I was down at EMS not long ago and they had a Kona Wo on the floor - spec'ed almost exactly like the FB4 Comp, but priced at $1700 instead of $900.
I've seen WO's on closeout for $1300. You are also paying for a lifetime warranty from Kona. Shops charge what they want too. A lot of times you are paying for the service that goes with buying a bike at a shop. Any good one gives you a year of free maintenance... plus they are usually loyal to you down the road if you need anything for it. My LBS had a friend of mine blow up his new tire on his Spesh Fatboy... well you can't get the tires yet so they gave him one of the tires off their personal fat boy. You don't get that buying cheap bikes online.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ I searched and nothing, MAYBE I'm a dumbass and I missed it. I'm sorry I felt like talking about bikes on a bike forum, I forgot that this isn't a place for that. Honestly I could give a crap what they cost...I'll buy what I can afford. Oh and if you would've read anything that I posted you would've seen that I didn't care and that I was just trying to have a conversation. Have a good one!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,191 Posts
one tire on my fatbike costs more than one brand new michelin on my Tacoma.

do I complain ? yes...I complain about the time it takes to ship me my new fatbike tire.

·
1,711 Posts
No worries... ;)

It's just been complained about for so long it gets frustrating to have to answer over and over again. It is what it is. There are lots of things in life I could ask "why does that cost so much"? But it won't change that manufacturers have to choose a price they feel is reasonable yet competitive, all the while making their business money and also (in the case of bikes) marking the MSRP up enough that the bike shops can make money. We all want to get payed for what we do as well, right?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,358 Posts
Because 90% of the bikes sold at bike shops and walmart are fat bikes.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
Fatbikes are the new 29ers.

I can only imagine the angst that will soon be spread around the 650B forum regarding outrageous pricing structures for them as well.

OP, yep, we've heard this a million times, but unless one plows through a metric ton of threads you wouldn't run across all the conversations already had, ad nauseum, on the topic.

When 29ers first hit it big, same thing, all the guys who weren't convinced enough to plunk down, all wanted budget 29ers. Bikes Direct et al, delivered. All the craptastic, budget oriented one could want, was soon available.

Same is going on now with Fatties, yep, you can get a 29er at WallyWorld, and now, a fattie too.

But, same as 26 FS, 29er, heck, MTB's in general, the budget bikes are just that, no matter the platform.

All the big boys didn't drop prices in a massive market correction once Pacific introduced a 29er. They won't with fatties either.

But more players will enter, and there will be some mid priced stuff, and it will have all the corners cut, that any mid priced bike does now.

My $0.02, YMMV.

·
will rant for food
3,975 Posts
The prices *are* coming down currently. Look at the "Framed" brand "Minnesota" bikes. Sh!t's slowly becoming more affordable, yo. Some of the tires as well.

This was a much more valid gripe a year ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I walked out the door with my fat bike for 1200 bucks (norco). Honestly, more fun has been had on that bike than my $6000 road bike.

·
Anchorage, AK
658 Posts
Bahahahhahah! Yeah man, I also paddleboard, and that's like the fat bike of water right now. It's blowing up like crazy. I spent 1600 on just the board and I thought to myself. I just spend that kinda money on something with no moving parts! Both sports are definitely a niche market for sure. There's even some MTB websites that refuse to post fat bike related news or content because they think it's still just a fad.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts