Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do cycling shoes have to look so garish, gaudy and downright freaky? I want a simpl, cheap preferabley boot style shoe for my crank bro's mallets. my old shoes are not going to work with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Define goofy.....

Are you referring to the roadie based sport/racing shoes, the newer skate shoe based bike shoes, commuter/touring light use shoes, or those mad, mad, mad spd compatable sandles for hanging out and riding your SS fat tire cruiser. Anyhoo I guess my point is there is a fair bit of variety out there now and you should be able to find yourself something that fits your personal style......unless you are a racer who wants that skate park hip look. Then forget it - you're hooped!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about this....

dirttorpedo said:
Are you referring to the roadie based sport/racing shoes, the newer skate shoe based bike shoes, commuter/touring light use shoes, or those mad, mad, mad spd compatable sandles for hanging out and riding your SS fat tire cruiser. Anyhoo I guess my point is there is a fair bit of variety out there now and you should be able to find yourself something that fits your personal style......unless you are a racer who wants that skate park hip look. Then forget it - you're hooped!

Goofy looking. This is not an exception, this seems to be the rule.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Philo Beddoe said:



Goofy looking. This is not an exception, this seems to be the rule.
Why? because they are designed to fit your feet? Because they have stiff soles so that you can pedal? Not sure I understand what the heck you are talking about. Because they are blue and grey?? Because they don't look like hiking shoes(you aren't this ignorant are you?)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Because they are designed by European roadies

Some of the Euro ballet slippers can be quite ridiculous looking. Amazing that the source of so much haute couture can produce such ugly shoes.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
Philo Beddoe said:
Why do cycling shoes have to look so garish, gaudy and downright freaky? I want a simpl, cheap preferabley boot style shoe for my crank bro's mallets. my old shoes are not going to work with them.
The same reason cycling jerseys are so goofy looking.
 

·
gentle like
Joined
·
14,837 Posts
i think they've come a long way

the lovely slippers bykhed posted aside, i think cycling shoes have come a looong way. those pearl izumis are really quite nice. and even those (ze slippers) don't stack up to old school ugly.

i can remember my gearfreak friend getting his new manitous (w/ synthetic leather!) back in the early 90's, and man ... 3 colours of neon? pink, green, and orange ... on a purple and gray background, if memory serves.

he was thrilled 'cause they were the best ... and $200. i thought my $75 specialized sports were lookin' pretty damn good, all things considered ...
 

·
Crank monkey
Joined
·
129 Posts
Define goofy looking...

Relative to basketball shoes, for example? Every sport has some weird looking stuff. I guess the bottom line is wear something that fits your style. And don't worry about it.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Considering that your shoes should be getting Dirty and Used, what's it matter if you have the coolest style or the glittering Nike logo? If you're a poser on the boardwalk with an FS bike, wear your Doc Marten boots or your Airwalks, whatever. If you're going to RIDE, find a pair of shoes that Fit and that Work. After that, pick a cute color and get some dirt on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
EBasil said:
Considering that your shoes should be getting Dirty and Used, what's it matter if you have the coolest style or the glittering Nike logo? If you're a poser on the boardwalk with an FS bike, wear your Doc Marten boots or your Airwalks, whatever. If you're going to RIDE, find a pair of shoes that Fit and that Work. After that, pick a cute color and get some dirt on them.
Agreed EBasil.
They should quit looking at their feet and watch where they are riding:)
 

·
Gravity Rides Everything
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
who cares what they look like. Buy based on fit and performance, they're just gonna end up covered in mud and filth anyway :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool but

Nat said:

A bit rich for my blood. I am not looking to spend that much. I like clearance jobs, but I wear a 46 so that is rare in the clearance section. I got a good pair years ago but they have a deep well, and are not going to work with crank bros cleats. Shims or not.

I like those specialized ones too. A bit cheaper than the lakes. The lakes are sweet though.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top