Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been riding for 2 months and have broken 2 chains, I take it I'm doing something wrong...I have a 05 Motobecane Fantom Comp. I really like it except for the chain breaks. The first time it happend at the end of my ride and was able to coast back to the lot. I took it to the shop I bought it from, they fixed and they said it almost never happens so I didn't buy a chain tool. Then yesterday on DC it busted again going up a steep little wash. Luckly a prepaired rider (unlike myselvecame along and hooked me up(Thanks!). He said he brokes them pretty often...So I'm buying a chain tool on the way home from work tonight. But please let me know if there is something I shouldn't be doing.....

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
CrazyEye said:
I've only been riding for 2 months and have broken 2 chains, I take it I'm doing something wrong...I have a 05 Motobecane Fantom Comp. I really like it except for the chain breaks. The first time it happend at the end of my ride and was able to coast back to the lot. I took it to the shop I bought it from, they fixed and they said it almost never happens so I didn't buy a chain tool. Then yesterday on DC it busted again going up a steep little wash. Luckly a prepaired rider (unlike myselvecame along and hooked me up(Thanks!). He said he brokes them pretty often...So I'm buying a chain tool on the way home from work tonight. But please let me know if there is something I shouldn't be doing.....
We need to know more info. What kind of chain? Is it breaking at the "power link" or at a regular link. When is it breaking on the ride? At "super" torque? I don't like Shimano chains because I have broken a few. I now use Sram. There are many things that could cause the chain to break. Give us more details.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It could be the chain quality, or maybe you just have massive legs and you're just putting down too much power. ROAR!!! I guess now that I think about it.....just bring a chain tool and some extra links and go to town on it. Maybe you could start a collection.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Some people break only Shimano chains, some break only SRAM chains. Never heard of anyone breaking a Wipperman, but then again I don't know anyone who can afford them! I was going through a lot of chains for a little while, but they were at the end of their lives anyway and I was just pushing them too far.

p.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,423 Posts
CrazyEye said:
When I break a chain, I like to blame it on massive leg power. :rolleyes:

You should carry a chain tool and it never hurts to carry a few spare links as well. I've had good luck with the SRAM PC69 chains on my geared bike and the PC58 chains on my SS.

I assume you aren't running in the big/big or little/little gear combo. When you run in the big ring up front and the big sprocket in the back you put lots of stress on the chain due to the angles. Same thing with the small ring/sprocket. That's all I can think of right now.

·
Ride it like you stole it
85 Posts
As AZ Mikey explained it, I would probably blame it on bad gear combinations. Just because you can shift into a certain gear, doesn't mean you should. If you look at your chain and it is "cross chained" that is bad. Or maybe you just got unlucky with some bad chains. Good luck

AZ Mikey said:
When I break a chain, I like to blame it on massive leg power. :rolleyes:

You should carry a chain tool and it never hurts to carry a few spare links as well. I've had good luck with the SRAM PC69 chains on my geared bike and the PC58 chains on my SS.

I assume you aren't running in the big/big or little/little gear combo. When you run in the big ring up front and the big sprocket in the back you put lots of stress on the chain due to the angles. Same thing with the small ring/sprocket. That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
other possibilities

Don't shift gears when you are putting max torque on the drive train. You really want to soft pedal during gear shifts (if the trail allows for it) and you won't stress your chain as much.

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
I am a notorious chain breaker

I am a notorious chain destroyer. I have broke brand new high end SRAM chains on their first ride. (Never at the power link) I have broken shimano chains. I'm heavier than a lot of riders, I like to torque up things, and I will bowl over obsticles on the way up. This leads to broken chains. I have had the best luck with cheap chains, particularly KMC Z chains, I haven't broken one of those yet. I have broken loads of PC-99 chains, I don't buy them anymore!

Don't shift under power, carry a chain tool and a few links, and go ride. Change your chain often, like changing your oil. It's a lot cheaper than new rear derailleurs and busted spokes.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Paul B said:
Some people break only Shimano chains, some break only SRAM chains. Never heard of anyone breaking a Wipperman, but then again I don't know anyone who can afford them! I was going through a lot of chains for a little while, but they were at the end of their lives anyway and I was just pushing them too far.

p.
I had a Wipperman chain once, on the second ride I was starting to warm up and spinning up when it just let go. The chain was brand new and it didn't break anywhere close to the quick link needless to say I will never buy another Wipperman. I have broken Shimano but atleast it took some time to break them. I stick to Sram now.

·
85 Posts
Nope, back in sunny Tucson. The riding was great in Europe, but the weather sucked. Everytime I ride now I think back to the fact that if I was still in Germany at this time of year I would have 3 layers of clothing on.

CrazyEye said:
Hey drewwski123, are you still stationed in Germany?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Same problem different bike

I had an '02 Fisher Sugar 3 that burned through chains at a progressively faster rate. I tried all kinds of chains and listened to the same accusations about my riding style. Once when the chain broke it wrapped around the r. der. and ripped it off and, incredibly, the LBS replaced it for free.

When it went through 2 chains in 50 miles I took it back to the LBS in a huff, demanding they fix the problem or take the bike back. They found a crack in the frame and replaced the rear swingarm ... and the chain problem stopped. Was the tiny amount of extra play due to the cracked frame causing the chain problems? Can't say for sure but it seems might coincidental. Ended up cracking the frame again in the same place but w/o any chain problems.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
CrazyEye said:
Does the chain break in the same way or manner every time? Have you hade the frame alignment checked?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Usaf

drewwski123 said:
Nope, back in sunny Tucson. The riding was great in Europe, but the weather sucked. Everytime I ride now I think back to the fact that if I was still in Germany at this time of year I would have 3 layers of clothing on.
Right on, DM? I was a cop at Luke, hated it...What do you do?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep

Torque'n it up a hill, don't remember if I was shitfing or not...wouldn't be surprised..still trying to get that down ;)

·
85 Posts
Yes at D.M. I fly on the Compass Call C-130's, airborne comm. I was at Geilenkirchen AB over in Germany on AWACS, pretty sweet assignment.

Later Drew

CrazyEye said:
Right on, DM? I was a cop at Luke, hated it...What do you do?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,979 Posts
CrazyEye said:
Well, if the bike shop "fixed it" by simply putting it back together with a chain tool, that's most likely why it failed again. You can't do this because the chain links will slide off of the pin where it was reconnected. The proper way to fix it is with either a special pin, or with a new "powerlink" type device, and I know whipperman uses one of these, although most shops won't have it on hand. If you fix your chain out on the trail by just using the chain tool, it's only a temporary fix and the same thing will probably happen unless you remove that old pin and do it the right way.

Due to the excessive torque that I put down, I use the shimano CN7701 that has "mushroom" shaped pins, these make it virtually impossible to have the "link sliding off of the pin" failure, but the key is to always repair it with a special shimano pin (2 come with a new chain), or even a sram powerlink works just fine. I've also broken almost every chain out there, and settled on the one that has been the most reliable to me, but no matter which chain you choose, you need to repair it correctly or it's just going to give you more problems.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
"Due to the excessive torque that I put down..."

That is funny! Do you get an accurate reading on that excessive torque with some sort of device? Just how excessive is it? When did they put a limit on torque on bicycle chains? Why do you use so much torque?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts