Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a daily commuter in search of the ideal everyday bike, I just wrote this article about adding weight to my bike - and why that's not such a bad thing at all.

My Civia Hyland is a lot heavier than my previous hybrid, but man - so much more useful! This shot was taken today, after picking up a pair of skis for my daughter.

Have a look at more photos and the story here:
http://bysykling.posterous.com/why-adding-6350-grams-to-my-bike-made-me-happ

Cheers,
Geir Anders, Oslo, Norway

Attachments

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I am reminded that some weight additions to bikes make me happy every time I put my nearly 100 kg in the saddle and launch on another adventure! What we need in and from a bike changes over time and with application. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Pursuiter, sorry the late reply - been away the last week.

I do have a Civia chain guard lying ready in my parts bin. I just didn't get around to install it when I first built up the frame and was eager to get the bike on the road. And after a little while I realized that it maybe wasn't that much of a necessity? No marks on my pant legs so far, no snagging - that's why I just left it there. This bike is all about practicality, and the moment I feel like I need that guard; it will be there very soon.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
With a single chainwheel covered in chain, pant cuff snags aren't likely. If you ride blue jeans, I'd leave it off, too. If you plan on wearing a pair of light or white pants, especially if brand new (seems to increase the risk: tempting fate? :) ), it might be time to put it on.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
^^ Too true, must be a Murphy's Law corrolary. Sometimes I bring my bike to work by car and if I am tempted to ride from the far flung parking lot to my office in work clothes I am usually sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.