Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering why the forks are only 140mm on the Reign. Could I get an '08 Reign (69 HTA) and throw a 160mm fork on it to make it 68 degrees?

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Agent_ said:
Dude, I'm not that smart. I don't get it.
Hahaha... No worries. I was bored and plugged in some numbers for you. :thumbsup:

There's roughly a 34mm axel to crown increase if you install a Fox 36. After the upgrade, the calculator says the bike's HA slackens to 67.46 degrees. (You said 2008 with the 69 deg. HA...)

Other notable changes include:
Wheelbase, + 12.6 mm
Eff Toptube + 5.5 mm
BB Height + 11.8 mm

Hope that helps.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
pjlama said:
I have a Talas 150 on my 08' Reign 0 and it works great! I went with the 150 cause I wanted to stay with the 32 to keep the weight down, I use mine for everything.
So it must be the new 2010 model? Bottom dollar the 2010 Reigns are speced with a 150 fork. ;)

·
Registered
743 Posts
So everyones pretty sure they will keep the Reign for 2010? Never did make sense to have a 140 Fox on a six inch travel bike when they make the 150 Fox.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The only concern I ever had about the Fox was noodlyness... I had one at 130mm and thought it OK, but to stretch it out another 20mm... But then again, with the new 15mm axle maybe thats not such an issue? Still prefer my Lyrik (especially now I've dumped the crap 2 step...)

·
talentless hack
120 Posts
I run a 160mm 2009 Marzocchi 55R on my 2008 Reign 2 with no problems. I think the stock head angle was a bit steep for my taste anyway. It feels more "correct" with the taller fork.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've put a Fox 36 Talas on my 2008 Reign and it's perfect.

Never even tried it with the 140mm fork, so can't say how it compares - but general opinion says the Reign is under-forked and the 36 suits it brilliantly.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I would think that they spec a 140 mm fork because they want to keep the bike as good for climbing as possible, considering it is their more trail-worthy all-mountain bike. I'm not saying you shouldn't put a 160 mm fork on it, but then you're reaching into the Reign X category. That said, I put a 170 mm fork on my Reign X, and it's awesome. Like other people have mentioned, if the axle-to-crown distance is fairly similar, why not?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts