Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the benefits of using a WHUB (135mm Paul) front hub over a high flange Chub front?

What would be the benefits of using a Chub over a WHUB?

To me, it seems that the Chub would be better since it not only increases the base of the spoke 'triangle' (by the use of it's higher flanges,) but it also reduces the length of the spokes which is nice for 29" wheels.

The WHUB is a great idea because it creates a wider base by being wider overall. It also increases spoke length which isn't good in my eyes, but I could be wrong about this.

So, any ideas or thoughts?

*Let's assume that fork availability is not an issue here.*

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dubthang said:
What would be the benefits of using a WHUB (135mm Paul) front hub over a high flange Chub front?

What would be the benefits of using a Chub over a WHUB?

To me, it seems that the Chub would be better since it not only increases the base of the spoke 'triangle' (by the use of it's higher flanges,) but it also reduces the length of the spokes which is nice for 29" wheels.

The WHUB is a great idea because it creates a wider base by being wider overall. It also increases spoke length which isn't good in my eyes, but I could be wrong about this.

So, any ideas or thoughts?

*Let's assume that fork availability is not an issue here.*
High flanges do not significantly increase the spoke bracing angle unless the wheel is laced radially.

Discussed in this thread

·
Welcome to the Gem...
813 Posts
that makes total sense. and here i bought my chub hubs thinking i was getting a stronger wheel. it felt stronger too... that could just be the gordos though. placebo, possibly.

the real benefit with the chubs is the bigger shell. that keeps the hub from winding up and spreads the load across both flanges spokes. that might, in turn, mean less overall spoke deformation, making a stronger wheel... but only in regards to driving and braking force.

regardless... get the chubs, they're bad ass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.