Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thumbs hurt.

I run a flat bar with 12 degree sweep. There's a lot of climbing and rocky climbing in these parts. Makes the thumbs hurt after about an hour of hard go.

Yet, I refuse the bar ends. I think I'm getting Nintendo Thumb.

·
stick
182 Posts
I can't say I've noticed thumb pain on any of my rides [I have a Bontrager Big Sweep OS], though on particularly rough sections, I sometimes wish for more thumbs so I can hold on better. :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
havnmonkey said:
thumbs are over-rated...
True, but mine are barking and I got off the bike ten hours ago. I use the Bontrager Big Sweep bar, too. At twelve degree sweep it's basically a no-rise riser bar (sporty!)

I think I got it nailed down that the problem is the steep, loose rock declines.On a rigid cross bike. One-finger braking is diverting a lot of weight onto the thumb digit connecting to hands point. Guess I need to start bombing. I'm screwed. Geronimo.

·
Old, stale, negative
800 Posts
I run rigid and was having problems. I switched to sweep bars( upside down Mary's on the fixed and 17 degree Salsa moto ace on the all day bike). Sweep has helped a ton. Ergon grips are part of the fix for me as well. I got the ones with the little bars ends integrated. I think they help on climbs because you can move your hands around and not leave your thumbs in one place for so long. You also might play with the positioning of your brake levers to to relieve tension. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Who has two thumbs that don't hurt?

:D

I've done a lot of rigid riding over rocky terrain. Never had thumb problems. Hard to see how thumb pain could be caused. Maybe you just need to relax you grip? Maybe you can raise your bars and take some weight off them?

·
reaper
43 Posts
the pope said:
True, but mine are barking and I got off the bike ten hours ago. I use the Bontrager Big Sweep bar, too. At twelve degree sweep it's basically a no-rise riser bar (sporty!)

I think I got it nailed down that the problem is the steep, loose rock declines.On a rigid cross bike. One-finger braking is diverting a lot of weight onto the thumb digit connecting to hands point. Guess I need to start bombing. I'm screwed. Geronimo.
Have you tried braking with your middle finger, perhaps alternating between using that one and your index finger for the one finger braking?

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,395 Posts
No thumb pain here. I'm running an Echo flat bar (29" wide, 9degree sweep) with bar ends. Full rigid, fixed gear.

I find that when climbing, I really prefer the bar ends - which put my fingers pointing towards the frame.

When doing steep/technical descents I am much more comfy on the bars with my fingers pointing "back". Mostly pushing back against my own weight. I could see that Ergons would help with this.

Brake levers are set up for "2 finger" using middle two fingers, but running fixed I only use them when it's way steep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.