Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering an offseason upgrade from QR's to thru axles. My questions concern using a TA in the rear. To me it seems a bolt-on TA for the rear makes just as much sense as a TA for the front but not sure where to start.
Anyone with experience using a TA in the rear? Can you make any recommendations? What/where to buy?
Any input appreciated.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Not sure if you are talking about thru-axles or bolt-ons, but they are different systems. I have both bolt-on and thru-axle rear wheels. Can't tell the difference in terms of stiffness, but both are vastly superior to QR's. Can't go wrong with either, unless you want the ability to convert, in which case thru-axles are better.

Lots of wheelsets/hubs out there, not to mention spacing and axle sizes, so you need to do homework on that. Hope Pro II hubs are probably the best value out there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad

I thought bolt on and TA's were the same. Shows I've got a lot to learn. Anyway, what can I put on a frame originally built for use with QR's to increase stiffness.
Thanks again, CK

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Comrade K said:
Anyway, what can I put on a frame originally built for use with QR's to increase stiffness.
Thanks again, CK
You can put on any rear wheel/hub with 135mm spacing and 10mm TA or bolt-on, and it should fit fine. Or if your existing hub is convertible, you can convert to either one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bolt-on and thru axle are different, but similar. A bolt-on typically uses bolts that screw into the hub axle on both sides of the dropout. The axle is static within the hub. A thru axle is a just what the name implies. The axle slides through the hub and tightens on one side of the dropout. Chris King previously made bolt on only (their term is fun bolt), but are now offering (or will soon offer) a 10mm thru axle. Hadley makes a 10mm thru axle as well as a 12mm thru axle. The 10mm version will fit in a standard QR dropout. Hadley offers a kit to swap the standard QR to a thru axle as does Industry Nine. Most hubs manufacturers that offer thru axle designs offer some form of conversion option so you don't need a new hub. The Hadley system works great and is well worth the change. I currently run Hadley 10mm axles on my Industry Nine hubs (three different sets).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
WaState said:
Bolt-on and thru axle are different, but similar. A bolt-on typically uses bolts that screw into the hub axle on both sides of the dropout. The axle is static within the hub. A thru axle is a just what the name implies. The axle slides through the hub and tightens on one side of the dropout. Chris King previously made bolt on only (their term is fun bolt), but are now offering (or will soon offer) a 10mm thru axle. Hadley makes a 10mm thru axle as well as a 12mm thru axle. The 10mm version will fit in a standard QR dropout. Hadley offers a kit to swap the standard QR to a thru axle as does Industry Nine. Most hubs manufacturers that offer thru axle designs offer some form of conversion option so you don't need a new hub. The Hadley system works great and is well worth the change. I currently run Hadley 10mm axles on my Industry Nine hubs (three different sets).
Actually a typical bolt on is a solid axle where you thread axle nuts onto the axle. Some manufacturers do it differently (like King fun bolts).

What bike wheel axle isn't static?

Thru axles sometimes thread into one dropout, but some thru axles are clamped via the dropouts.

The King one piece rear hub axle can be quick release or bolt on by changing end caps (except for the BMX models). They offer thru axle in the rear 150 spacing and front 20mm and 24mm hubs, don't know about others yet.

Don't know about Hadleys...

Carry on otherwise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
None of the major players use axles that you thread nuts onto. You might see that in some applications such as BMX or singlespeed but you typically don't see it in high end mountain bike hubs. King, Hope, Hadley, DT Swiss all offer thru axle but nothing like you describe.

By static axle, I mean that the axle itself is part of the hub and is not easily removed. Fun bolts will screw into the axle itself which rotates on bearings. With thru axle assemblies, the hub has a hollow section that the axle itself slides through.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
WaState said:
None of the major players use axles that you thread nuts onto. You might see that in some applications such as BMX or singlespeed but you typically don't see it in high end mountain bike hubs. King, Hope, Hadley, DT Swiss all offer thru axle but nothing like you describe.

By static axle, I mean that the axle itself is part of the hub and is not easily removed. Fun bolts will screw into the axle itself which rotates on bearings. With thru axle assemblies, the hub has a hollow section that the axle itself slides through.
Uh, in the world of bicycles boutique hubs aren't typical at all, and even in the world of boutique hubs thru axle or thru bolt models are a small part of the picture. There are probably far more bolt on solid axle type hubs from Shimano alone than the combined production of your "major" players, or does Shimano not count? Boutique hubs for upper end mountain bikes are not typical in my book, sorry (maybe in my garage, but that's different).

King only just started offering a rear hub with through axle just last summer in the 150 spacing, the one piece in the 135 spacing is not even a thru bolt axle, the fun bolts simply thread into an end cap in the axle (or you can use an interchangeable end cap that allows you to slide your quick release skewer into). DT does offer both thru bolt and thru axle on several models, though. Don't follow Hope or Hadley (Hadley a major player? Really?).

Axles do not rotate on bearings, the hub via the bearings rotate on static axles. :rolleyes:

A quick release axle has a hollow section that a quick release skewer slides through, as does a thru bolt axle. A thru axle slides into the hub, yes, but threads into the frame/dropouts or is clamped by the frame/dropouts, a thru bolt is secured by a bolt into the dropouts/frame. Think about it, if the axle rotated how would it stay secured whatever method is used?

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
Comrade K said:
Thanks guys, for the input. You've given me plenty to thing about. Looks like I'll be doing some research/shopping during my Christmas break.
Happy holidays!
CK
I think there's been a little confusion espoused in this thread and it started with the different terms presently used in the industry (in regard to rear hub axles) and how they're being used here; Thru-Axle, Bolt-On, and Thru-Bolt. These terms seem to be interchangeable depending on manufacturer. I'll do my best to explain the various ways currently available to secure rear hubs to a frame:

Like front forks, there is a type of axle that takes a specially designed hub and a frame with appropriate drop-outs that secures the wheel to the frame. This is often called a Thru-Axle. The term Bolt-On is often used to describe an axle that replaces the QR axle with a solid shaft that completely spans (and fits into) the rear QR drop-outs and is secured with nuts on each side. Coincidentally, this is also sometimes referred to as Thru-Axle. Yet another option is a semi-hollow (or solid) axle that is either internally or externally threaded and has a bolt on one or both sides that threads into or onto the axle shaft. This is typically called a Thru-Bolt axle (and sometimes Bolt-On).

I hope that clears up any confusion and helps you with your choice. It may have helped to list what hub you're using so that we might make specific recommendations as to what you'll need to facilitate the conversion.

·
well mannered lout
3,259 Posts
Azonic makes a 12mm thru axle that steps down to fit standard dropouts. I'm using it with an outlaw on the enduro sl ( it will work for any 12mm/ 135mm application ) and it's been the best upgrade I've ever made.

·
1,113 Posts
Comrade K said:
I'm considering an offseason upgrade from QR's to thru axles. My questions concern using a TA in the rear. To me it seems a bolt-on TA for the rear makes just as much sense as a TA for the front but not sure where to start.
Anyone with experience using a TA in the rear? Can you make any recommendations? What/where to buy?
Any input appreciated.
A DT Swiss RWS Thru-bolt (10mm) may work with your current hub and frame.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Telling us what your current rear hub is would help - maybe something that is convertable already.

If not, what is your budget for a new rear wheel setup?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
brillantesdv said:
re you getting a new frame? QR frames dont just accept TA.

you can get new Bolt-On hubs..but they're not TA. Bolt-On are like QR, but use bolts to tighten against the dropouts...which is a bit stronger.

bolt-on. you'll have to get a new rear hub.
Would you like me, and amny others to post their conversions to 10mm TA's? I can also then post my 10mm TA used on my QR frame with said hub.

·
1,113 Posts
TXPhisher said:
Can you convert a Shimano FH-M525-SL rear to DT Swiss RWS?

Yes, take out the QR and use the DT RWS.

The thru bolt RWS optimizes the RWS system even more. Instead of a regular 5 mm quick release axle, a 9 mm front and 10 mm rear thru bolt is used. Together with a DT Swiss thru bolt hub it offers an even better connection to the frame and fork than even a standard RWS as well as any other quick release. The RWS thru bolt system combines the advantages of a fixed thru axle with the ease of use of a standard quick release. The RWS thru bolt system is 100 % compatible with any standard frame or fork that would normally use a quick release!

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components2009/RWS/RWS-thru-bolt.aspx

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
One_Speed said:

Yes, take out the QR and use the DT RWS.

The thru bolt RWS optimizes the RWS system even more. Instead of a regular 5 mm quick release axle, a 9 mm front and 10 mm rear thru bolt is used. Together with a DT Swiss thru bolt hub it offers an even better connection to the frame and fork than even a standard RWS as well as any other quick release. The RWS thru bolt system combines the advantages of a fixed thru axle with the ease of use of a standard quick release. The RWS thru bolt system is 100 % compatible with any standard frame or fork that would normally use a quick release!

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components2009/RWS/RWS-thru-bolt.aspx
Nothing in your post or link confirms that Shimano hub can be converted to RWS. In any case, it wouldn't just be removing the quick release skewer and replacing it with the RWS axle, you'd need to remove the existing qr axle...have you actually converted that type of Shimano hub? Or know for sure that it works with that type of Shimano hub? Think I've seen the RWS thru bolt works with some Hope and Hadley hubs, and I think a Saint hub, but not a threaded axle hub like the 525. I don't know myself, just curious as your post really doesn't confirm anything for TXPhisher's question...

·
1,113 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Nothing in your post or link confirms that Shimano hub can be converted to RWS. In any case, it wouldn't just be removing the quick release skewer and replacing it with the RWS axle, you'd need to remove the existing qr axle...have you actually converted that type of Shimano hub? Or know for sure that it works with that type of Shimano hub? Think I've seen the RWS thru bolt works with some Hope and Hadley hubs, and I think a Saint hub, but not a threaded axle hub like the 525. I don't know myself, just curious as your post really doesn't confirm anything for TXPhisher's question...
Someone I ride with has done it and has one with shimano hub on his heckler. SO the response is still yes it can be converted.

As far as replacing the axle we didnt get into specifics and wasnt trying to mislead. (I do type too fast and make mistakes so forgive me for not being perfect)

yes seen it done fit and work with shimano hub. Now as far as it being the EXACT same hub model as TX's. I dunno

He has the info at his disposal to know confirm everything before making a purchase.

All information was intended to help. not get anyone to buy the wrong parts.

If your not a mechanic or mechanically inclined.

I recommend checking with manufacturer or LBS to make sure you have everything that is a proper fit.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.