Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather for the most part has been cold and wet.
As a result I have been on my trainer and bored out of my mind. I like being in the open and having to look at things other than whats on my walls or tele.

Anyone else have cabin fever using a trainer?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Things are looking up weather wise for the greater Seattle area starting today. Trainers suck on a routine basis. Spinning class is even boring to me presently. Bring on the sun.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have a CycleOps Fluid2 that I picked up for about $7. Last used it on Saturday night. Barely stayed on for 15 mins before I wanted to gouge my neck with a knitting needle. Thankfully the weather is looking good for the rest of the week so I'll be outside.

But to be on the safeside, Netflix sent me the first two discs from the first season of "Family Guy" so if worse comes to worse this weekend, I'll pop those in to help me get through a ride.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Tunes and Helmet-cam Race Footage Helps...

j944 said:
The weather for the most part has been cold and wet.
As a result I have been on my trainer and bored out of my mind. I like being in the open and having to look at things other than whats on my walls or tele.

Anyone else have cabin fever using a trainer?
I try to get into the "zone" so to speak by watching some helmetcam race footage and cranking some of my favourite tunes. If you're interested, check out http://www.cadencexc.com

N.

·
Pin it!
78 Posts
I have the same cabin fever here in WI. It's been kinda cold in the 15's but it's only going to get colder in the next week or so. My trainer is my only hope right now and we don't even have enough snow on the ground to snowshoes or do anything snow related, which sucks even more then the cold. Music off my I-tunes play-list and eyes closed most the time while spinning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try watching TV or DVD's whilst pedaling franticaly and getting no where.

I use MTB DVD's but have a break from them from time to time as you get to know them too well and it starts to demoralise you that you are only at Ryan Leech and have still to watch Jordie Lunn going on about " Hey guys, a snake just went into a snake hole" for the 50th time !!

Even with TV i loose the will to live after 50 mins.

Roll on the light evenings.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I have a trainer for when it gets really nasty, a Kurt Kinetic with the bigger flywheel. It's for my road bike. We've had a pretty dry but cold winter in NorCal, so I have been doing mountain bike night rides with friends and just bundling up. I'd rather destroy my chain and cogs and chainrings and get cold and wet than ride a trainer! I will ride a trainer as last resort. I also do night rides bundled up on my road bike, commuting with lots of climbing.

I switched to my single speed so I only have to worry about one chain, one cog and one chainring wearing out, and no pivots to get contaminated. My Blur is still hanging up, waiting for a rebuild from the last rainy night ride.

I have some good bike videos to watch for when the trainer becomes necessary. The one-hour euro cyclocross videos are perfect for length of time and intensity on the trainer.

I made it through an album (ipod) by the Green Arrows on my 1:05 hour commute home the other night, it was perfect.

Morgan

·
Registered
341 Posts
NORCAL ditto

Weather has been dry here in the Sacramento area, but by the time I get home after work it's too dark to rid where I'd like to ride. I've actually been hitting the elliptical machine more than the trainer, but think I'll be on the trainer tonight. :eek:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Been raining a lot here lately so I've been on my trainer quite a few times. I would much rather be outside but I know the work I do on the trainer will help my rides this Spring. I was off the bike most of last Winter and don't want what happened in the Spring to happen again. I am determined to stay in shape.

One thing that helps is having a buddy that rides live near by. He and I will meet up and ride our trainers, which helps to pass the time.

Joe

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I am using a trainer. Bought it last summer to prep for the long winter months of having to ride indoors. Since my wife doesn't ride her walmart schwinn bike that I bought her hoping she would ride with me ( I bought her a Walmart bike because I was not sure she would be serious enough to take up cycling, after all she is borderline 300lbs and not into healthy lifestyles and if she didn't take it up, at least I wouldn't be out all that money of getting her a good bike). So I just hooked her bike to the trainer so I wouldn't have to wear out the tires on my Hardrock and I plunk about 45 - 60 mins about 4 - 5 times a week on it.

·
364 Posts
I'm really sick of the trainer.

The last time I rode a real bike on a real trail was about 5 weeks ago (Mary's-Horsethief).

Videos help but my motivation is waning.

Riding a trainer is work, not recreation. Physically, I feel better but it does nothing for me mentally.

·
Registered
125 Posts
trainer

I've had a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer for about 5-6 years and generally ride it 200-300 miles in the winter.

I started using the Cycle-aerobics video that came with it for hard workouts and would watch taped WRC races for longer rides. Last year I used the Cyclo-Core DVD's and for long rides watched DVD's of the West Wing.

This year the weather has been rather mild (virtually no snow and no daytime temps below 25 F) in SW Michigan, so I have been doing 2-3 MTB rides a week (mostly night rides) since October. Also got in a 20 mile ride on my road bike the first weekend of Jan.

My goal this year is to NOT get any miles on the trainer. I will stay out side, weather permitting.

·
sugoi chairinko
131 Posts
Rollers

I picked them up from Performance for under 100 bucks, and haven't used my trainer since. The difficulty factor makes it a lot more fun, the time passes more quickly, and I think I get a better workout. Still blows compared to outside, even on a road bike, but so does frostbite!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.