Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's a 3 day weekend - weather be damned - I'm riding!

Tomorrow and Monday morning.

Who's in?

Joaquin Miller, Rockville, Tamarancho or anywhere else that's ridable in a deluge. :cool:

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
South Bay

where to ride after it rains? I won't ride if it's a downpour. But I'd like to take a ride after it's been raining. Anyone know good spots in the Bay area?

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Here's a list

In the South Bay, I find two places that are legal, and I even enjoy in my odd way, are the fire roads of Sierra Azul (Woods, Kennedy, Limekiln,...) and the zillions of miles of fire roads of Henry Coe. At Henry Coe you even get multiple stream crossings thrown in for good measure. Bring wool socks which work better when soaked after the stream dips.

I compiled a list from comments on last year's MTBR of the NorCal spots that are good for rain riding. If you're willing to travel, some singletrack can be found. This may be my excuse to try areas like Angwin, Rockhill and Red Hills, normally so far I haven't yet rode them.
  • Sierra Azul (Los Gatos, Kennedy area) Fire Roads
  • Henry Coe (East of Gilroy) Fire Roads only in rain, scattered Singletrack when dry
  • Demo AKA Soquel Demonstration Forest (Santa Cruz/San Jose) Does OK I hear, but better to wait a couple days after rain
  • Angwin & Boggs & Oak Hill (40 min north of Napa) Singletrack
  • Red Hills (Central Valley, Sierra Foothills, 20 min east of Oakdale) Singletrack
  • Rockville (Napa) Singletrack
  • Annadel (Santa Rosa) Mostly Singletrack, some Fire Road (Wins my award so far as most fun)
  • China Camp (San Rafael) Singletrack
  • Fort Ord (Monterey) Fire Road and Singletrack mix
  • Tamarancho (Marin) Singletrack
  • Wilder (Santa Cruz) Some reports say too muddy??

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
BigLarry said:
In the South Bay, I find two places that are legal, and I even enjoy in my odd way, are the fire roads of Sierra Azul (Woods, Kennedy, Limekiln,...) and the zillions of miles of fire roads of Henry Coe. At Henry Coe you even get multiple stream crossings through in for good measure. Bring wool socks.

I compiled a list from comments on last year's MTBR of the NorCal spots good for rain riding. If you're willing to travel, some singletrack can be found. This may be my excuse to try areas like Angwin, Rockhill and Red Hills, normally so far I haven't yet rode them.
  • Sierra Azul (Los Gatos, Kennedy area) Fire Roads
  • Henry Coe (East of Gilroy) Fire Roads only in rain, scattered Singletrack when dry
  • Demo AKA Soquel Demonstration Forest (Santa Cruz/San Jose) Does OK I hear, but better to wait a couple days after rain
  • Angwin & Boggs & Oak Hill (40 min north of Napa) Singletrack
  • Red Hills (Central Valley, Sierra Foothills, 20 min east of Oakdale) Singletrack
  • Rockville (Napa) Singletrack
  • Annadel (Santa Rosa) Mostly Singletrack, some Fire Road (Wins my award so far as most fun)
  • China Camp (San Rafael) Singletrack
  • Fort Ord (Monterey) Fire Road and Singletrack mix
  • Tamarancho (Marin) Singletrack
  • Wilder (Santa Cruz) Some reports say too muddy??
That's a damn good list. I would only add Joaquin Miller - but it's such small park - I can understand why you would leave it off the list.

So who's down, and where we riding? I'm up for any of the above!

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
maybe...?

I would be game but it all depends on where. I would have to go somewhere semi-local for me, which is southbay.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
JMP added

imridingmybike said:
That's a damn good list. I would only add Joaquin Miller - but it's such small park - I can understand why you would leave it off the list.

So who's down, and where we riding? I'm up for any of the above!
Simply missed JMP. Didn't know it was rain legal. I've now added it to my little list. Is the singletrack like Cinderella legal in rain too? That would be great. :)

I'd love to try Red Hills on Monday with the TROGs, as this seems a perfect chance, if I only could. My bigger problem is my very busy schedule - worse issue for me than the rain this season. It's especially impossible on that day as I have personal appointments, and then I'm preparing for some critical device tests next week. :(

Darn you Steve! That fabulous trail picture of Red Hills is so incredibly allluring I can't stand it. :mad:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
While you're at it...

BigLarry said:
Darn you Steve! That fabulous trail picture of Red Hills is so incredibly allluring I can't stand it.
Not that any of you are likely to get out there but New Melones, near Angels Camp, is always great, even in the rain, and even in the rain at night. Nothing technical but super fast, rolling, hard-packed singletrack that even I can fly on. And the views of the lake are quite nice. Some of you should come out for a weekday night ride with me sometime. Check out my latest night video from there.

I have not dared to ride Red Hills since my last knee surgeries three years ago. Too many short, steep and loose climbs. Yet it is the closest ride to me and I have to drive by it every time I go to New Melones :mad:

New Melones in the Spring

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wherewolf said:
Not that any of you are likely to get out there but New Melones, near Angels Camp, is always great, even in the rain, and even in the rain at night. Nothing technical but super fast, rolling, hard-packed singletrack that even I can fly on. And the views of the lake are quite nice. Some of you should come out for a weekday night ride with me sometime. Check out my latest night video from there.

I have not dared to ride Red Hills since my last knee surgeries three years ago. Too many short, steep and loose climbs. Yet it is the closest ride to me and I have to drive by it every time I go to New Melones :mad:

Is that where they used to have the Iron Angels races? Man, talk about re-living good times...

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Yep

imridingmybike said:
Is that where they used to have the Iron Angels races? Man, talk about re-living good times...
Yep, except last year the guy in charge was too late getting the permit so they moved it to the fairgrounds. Hopefully he'll have it together this year because the usual course has a good jump I like to take photos at.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Yeah

I may be up for it by Monday. Between rain, travel, and of course LATE NOTICE, I haven't riden in a few weeks. Probably would prefer to stay local and have some idea what we are looking at for the start of the ride though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As a matter of fact, I just off the phone with my brother and told him rain be damned...I'm riding!! He's in, so that's 2 of us...any others? Rockville is my choice (mainly because it's only 20 minutes to the parking lot and it's totally rideable before, after or during rain!!). I'm in for Saturday...waiting for the weather forecast in the morning to see if there will be any breaks in the weather tomorrow. Leave contact info for me if anyone is interested in Rockville tomorrow, Saturday...I can be there in 20!!

Cheers,
Chip

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Thanks

Wherewolf said:

There's something about this picture that gets me excited for spring time. I can almost feel that ride! Reminds me of Sea Otter...

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EBrider said:
I may be up for it by Monday. Between rain, travel, and of course LATE NOTICE, I haven't riden in a few weeks. Probably would prefer to stay local and have some idea what we are looking at for the start of the ride though.
Sorry about that.

You are hereby notified - we're riding monday morning - 9am. Where?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Monday morning is looking to be da way to go. I'll plan on being there. If its a downpour like now I'll probably be a weenie and bail too.
So now for the important question.... what time? Does 9am work?

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gacck said:
OK, the weather has been checked...looks like no rain in Rockville for awhile...I'm thinking 2:00 pm in the parking lot...any takers?

Chip
See you there!

Silver subaru - black foes fxr.

Bring a change of clothes - it's gunna be wet!

IRMB

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.