Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,202 Posts
I would give the guys over at Bikeworks a try. But you will find the "best" wheelbuilder in Abq. working in the Walgreens Pharmacy at Montgomery and San Mateo IMO. Goes to show you that all too often talent goes unrewarded in the bike industry.
 

·
Single Speed Junkie
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
palerider said:
I need too have some wheels build up. Have no idea what shop builds "quality" wheels, bike coop? fat tire? two wheel drive?
Best builder in ABQ? That is a tough one. Learn to lace them up yourself and tune them like a fine instrument and you will have a nice set of wheels.

If you don't get so far as to tension up your first attempt at leased you did the lacing. Then take it to a shop and have them finish the job. If your good you can center the hub logo with the valve stem hole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
I would give the guys over at Bikeworks a try. But you will find the "best" wheelbuilder in Abq. working in the Walgreens Pharmacy at Montgomery and San Mateo IMO. Goes to show you that all too often talent goes unrewarded in the bike industry.
He builds a great wheel set!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,202 Posts
Yeah!...You know who I am talking about. Of all the wheels that Phil has built for me not one has had to be trued. Broken Spokes....ah, different story
 

·
Fragilie
Joined
·
866 Posts
palerider said:
I need too have some wheels build up. Have no idea what shop builds "quality" wheels, bike coop? fat tire? two wheel drive?
I hear Dan at Bike Works is. I'll know soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
Best in NM....

For PhD level, super-duper tailored for you, right down to custom gauge butted spoke selctions based on location (non-disk side front, etc....), wheel build, and rider 'profile', Jeremy at Alchemy in Santa Fe - likley builds the best wheels in the region. He ain't cheap - but is reasonable given how stellar the builds are. If you want the lightest and strongest wheels - talk to him. If you want simple off-the-shelf builds, as noted - you can do pretty well on your own.
 

·
Drunken fool
Joined
·
228 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
I would give the guys over at Bikeworks a try. But you will find the "best" wheelbuilder in Abq. working in the Walgreens Pharmacy at Montgomery and San Mateo IMO. Goes to show you that all too often talent goes unrewarded in the bike industry.
My vote for the best builder in town goes to a fire fighter. He used to work at ABC 15 years ago or so and got out of the biz due to pay (lack of). He has built a few sets for me and they have held up to years of abuse. Of course he only does work on the side now and only by word of mouth. Other than that I can't help you out.
 

·
Thread Pollution
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
hard to find better

glenzx said:
For PhD level, super-duper tailored for you, right down to custom gauge butted spoke selctions based on location (non-disk side front, etc....), wheel build, and rider 'profile', Jeremy at Alchemy in Santa Fe - likley builds the best wheels in the region. He ain't cheap - but is reasonable given how stellar the builds are. If you want the lightest and strongest wheels - talk to him. If you want simple off-the-shelf builds, as noted - you can do pretty well on your own.
Ditto on that.and his price is comparative to a set of mavic xl crossmax's or what ever there called, now days.
 

·
7MGTE
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
glenzx said:
For PhD level, super-duper tailored for you, right down to custom gauge butted spoke selctions based on location (non-disk side front, etc....), wheel build, and rider 'profile', Jeremy at Alchemy in Santa Fe - likley builds the best wheels in the region. He ain't cheap - but is reasonable given how stellar the builds are. If you want the lightest and strongest wheels - talk to him. If you want simple off-the-shelf builds, as noted - you can do pretty well on your own.
I agree 100%!!! He helped me build my race wheelset for my Yeti ARC. Wheelset came in at 1383g (tubeless to)! That wheelset was very light and strong. The rims took plenty of hard landings and it turns out the frame gave out before the wheelset :lol: Jeremy has also helped me with my current DH rims for my Nomad and again no issues at all.

Yes Jeremy is not cheap but in his case you WILL get what you pay for. One other thing on his price. If he builds a wheelset and the rim fails (spokes or rims) he will fix it for free (basically parts and labor will be on him). To me that was worth his price and then some. Basically he will stand behind the wheel as long as you are riding it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
supramk388 said:
I agree 100%!!! He helped me build my race wheelset for my Yeti ARC. Wheelset came in at 1383g (tubeless to)!
Dang! That's light! What hubs...? Tune? I gave him my trusty old CK ISO hubs in the fall of 2004, and he built them up to some Stans ZTR355's. I'm only just now about to retire those rims / spokes. That wheelset was 1496g and bullet-proof.

What will the next set be? Jeremy built Olympics and whatever the blingest spokes he recommends, with the same CK hubs.
 

·
Sublime Absurdity
Joined
·
741 Posts
glenzx said:
Dang! That's light! What hubs...? Tune? I gave him my trusty old CK ISO hubs in the fall of 2004, and he built them up to some Stans ZTR355's. I'm only just now about to retire those rims / spokes. That wheelset was 1496g and bullet-proof.

What will the next set be? Jeremy built Olympics and whatever the blingest spokes he recommends, with the same CK hubs.
I had a similar CK/ZTR wheelset and it only took a couple of runs down 10k/tree springs/Oso/Faulty to crack the rear rim. I've had much better luck with the Olympics...
 

·
7MGTE
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
glenzx said:
Dang! That's light! What hubs...? Tune? I gave him my trusty old CK ISO hubs in the fall of 2004, and he built them up to some Stans ZTR355's. I'm only just now about to retire those rims / spokes. That wheelset was 1496g and bullet-proof.

What will the next set be? Jeremy built Olympics and whatever the blingest spokes he recommends, with the same CK hubs.
Yea, Tune hubs and 355 rims. You should try the Tune hubs on your next wheelset. Yes they are expensive but very light and strong. I have had CK hubs in the past and I would take Tune any day of the week over CK. Jeremy usually has them in stock so that helps to.

EDIT:
Fixed typo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
sodade said:
I had a similar CK/ZTR wheelset and it only took a couple of runs down 10k/tree springs/Oso/Faulty to crack the rear rim. I've had much better luck with the Olympics...
Ah! I had the same weird cracking issue with (1) of the rims, where it started splitting down the middle! It was warrantied with a slightly updated one (in early 2005?) that had the "new" round hook-profile on the sidewall of the rim.

But the Olympics are next up, in the next few weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,870 Posts
supramk388 said:
Yea, Tune hubs and 355 rims. You should try the Tune hibs on your next wheelset. Yes they are expensive but very light and stong. I have had CK hubs in the past and I would take Tune any day of the week over CK. Jeremy usually has them in stock so that helps to.
Me too!

When I kill the CK hubs, or can 'retire them' to a backup wheelset (I must be old and have some disposable income...) I will replace them with the Tune's, or the DT Swiss 190's. The Tune's look great and are proving themselves pretty damned worthy! But in the meantime, with a spankin' new SRAM Red equiped road bike w/ a PowerTap, a bling Redline Scandium CX bike - new hubs for the new mtbike wheelset are pushing it - for now! Next wheelbuild though, or big bonus at work... whichever comes first.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top