Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Microsoft and the banking industry we're in a rush to upgrade all of our XP workstations to Win 7. I'll take all of the OT I can get.

So this means the HobGoblin XO I was going to get in late summer will now be a nice birthday gift for me in May. It also means I'm going to need a carbon road bike sooner than later. *cough* Jeremy *cough*

So who else is saving for a new Airborne?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks to Microsoft and the banking industry we're in a rush to upgrade all of our XP workstations to Win 7. I'll take all of the OT I can get.

So who else is saving for a new Airborne?

We aren't rushing our Win 7 deployment, but we're not exactly a financial institution. We'll do ours during the summer, being a school district, so no OT for me.

But I am saving for the next Airborne. One that doesn't exist, and that is more magnetic. Literally magnetic. Right Jeremy? You were on-board with that, right?

Possibly an Evo frame, but I am just finishing a frame-up build from another make right now, so I'm not sure the accountant would let that fly. I could probably get the frame, remove the spacer from the Recon Gold on my Seeker to run it at 120mm, and have it work correctly, but what's the fun in that? A 34mm stanchion fork would be more fun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was planning on saving up for the new AM rig they are building....but I couldn't wait and just bought a Yelli-screamy frame....oh well.

Side-note...Skyphix...are you sure you can bump up the recon to 120mm?? I thought that was only for the through-axle models....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks to Microsoft? Dude, XP was past its prime 5 years ago... Apple cut off Snow Leopard after only 4 years!

At any rate, glad it's going to turn into a new bike for you! You'll have a new ride just in time for the trails to clear up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am. I have my sight set on a new Goblin. The weather has to get better (expecting anywhere from 4 to 12 inches of snow the next day and a half) and I have to get this damned cast off my right foot/leg.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Side-note...Skyphix...are you sure you can bump up the recon to 120mm?? I thought that was only for the through-axle models....
That may very well be true - haven't looked that far into it, just cursory searching. I don't think I could completely take out my Seeker, so I'd probably go with a new fork anyway.

·
Hooligan
992 Posts
They aren't nearly as affordable as they use to be. i had my eye on the wingman, but when they discontinued it (and all the old ironhorse stuff) i lost interest. i would still buy one used for the right price, but i think currently they are moving into the realm of real bikes and out of the 'affordable' price range.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Last treatment this week so Im eyeballing a Hobgoglin for the trails and still holding out for a new Delta Force CX1 (doubt we'll see one tho)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to Microsoft? Dude, XP was past its prime 5 years ago... Apple cut off Snow Leopard after only 4 years!

At any rate, glad it's going to turn into a new bike for you! You'll have a new ride just in time for the trails to clear up.
Some of our vendor's applications won't run on Win 7.

It's working out alright for me though!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
They aren't nearly as affordable as they use to be. i had my eye on the wingman, but when they discontinued it (and all the old ironhorse stuff) i lost interest. i would still buy one used for the right price, but i think currently they are moving into the realm of real bikes and out of the 'affordable' price range.

We wouldn't still be in business if we sold those models at the prices/margins they were. And to be frank, we didn't want to use old IH designs. The Wingman at the price it was closed out at was below our cost. Again, not a great business model for longevity.

If you compare our current models they still offer a huge value (even though they aren't "cheap") when compared to similar models from other bike companies. For example, the Goblin at $1199 has little competition out there in regards to spec/value.

Our current models are selling very well and our business model has us in the black, so we must be doing something right.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I'm saving for one. Though, it may wait until after the motorcycle. To be honest, it's hard to pony up 2 or 3k for bicycle when I can buy capable used dualsport motorcycle for the same price...that keeps it's value.

Hands down, Airborne bikes are the best value for your money that I've seen in many years, even if they are a little more expensive than earlier models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Our current models are selling very well and our business model has us in the black, so we must be doing something right.

Jeremy
Airborne definitely fills a gap in the market. You can't expect a company to give their stuff away today and still be there tomorrow. There are certain realities that exist if you want to have a viable business model. I appreciate what Airborne is doing and vote with my hard earned dollars.

To answer the thread question. After this winter I'm saving up for some Fat Air if you know what I mean ;)

·
Hooligan
992 Posts
Yes, You guys do fill an important gap in the market, and there is no question about value. I didn't know you were selling the old bikes below cost, it certainty explains the increase in price. The pathogen looks great, but it's hard to get excited when just the frame alone costs more than the complete Taka did. do you guys have newer DJ and AM designs in the works? your website currently just has empty categories and i'm excited to see what you replace the zepplin, wingman, and marauder with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
New Bike?...... I'm still paying off the old one.

Bought it under the no interest PaypPal plan and trying to sneak in payments so the Mrs doesn't know how much I really spent :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes, You guys do fill an important gap in the market, and there is no question about value. I didn't know you were selling the old bikes below cost, it certainty explains the increase in price. The pathogen looks great, but it's hard to get excited when just the frame alone costs more than the complete Taka did. do you guys have newer DJ and AM designs in the works? your website currently just has empty categories and i'm excited to see what you replace the zepplin, wingman, and marauder with.
There are no plans to re-enter the DJ category or make another Zepp. We are gearing up to launch a new website in the future and it wont have the DJ category buried in it anywhere like the current one.

The Toxin is our new freeride/park bike. There are no plans to bring back something as cheap as the Marauder was, that needs upgrades right out of the box to work as intended.

Jeremy

·
NeedGod.com
581 Posts
I am teaching summer school this year just so I can get a fat bike. I had originally planned to upgrade to a Hobgoblin, but Iowa winters are so awful that I just have to go fat. I can't go another winter without a fattie.

I have been very impressed with the XC Airborne bikes and can't wait to either build my own Hobgoblin someday or something similar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts