Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
After I buy my Buggatti Veyron, this will be my next purchase:

Moots FrosTi Snowbike | Mountain Bike Review

For three months out of the year, I think the Surly bikes are fine.:rolleyes:
Sweet! I've always had a thing for Moots, but if I ever ended up getting one, it would be for summer epics, not winter slogging. Shoot, I can't even justify a pugsley even though I ride in the snow as often as I can.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Notice how they make it sound as though they thought of the idea of a snowbike, but then you have to use all Surly components.

I really don't understand the severely limited production run. 20 bikes, but they have sizes from XX small to XX large. You would think they would just make medium and large so they wouldn't need to change jigs.

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Most Moots frames cost between $3000--4000, so it's right in line with their other frames, albeit they're all pricey. All I can say is the Moots is a Moots, and it's a lifetime investment, and their welding working is pure art and the best in the business IMHO. I am sure in the future they might have custom frames? With them making only 20, it's really a one off item for them. Even Black Sheep's frames cost in the same close range.

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Notice how they make it sound as though they thought of the idea of a snowbike, but then you have to use all Surly components.

I really don't understand the severely limited production run. 20 bikes, but they have sizes from XX small to XX large. You would think they would just make medium and large so they wouldn't need to change jigs.
I don't think they implied they thought up a snowbike, but they have been making them as a custom item for at least 5 years, mostly for Mike Curiak. Here are some pictures from about 3 years ago on a factory tour I took. Check out Mike's bike for Iditabike and Endurance winter racing, with white gas that can be carried in the forks and above the BB.

Attachments

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most Moots frames cost between $3000--4000, so it's right in line with their other frames, albeit they're all pricey. All I can say is the Moots is a Moots, and it's a lifetime investment, and their welding working is pure art and the best in the business IMHO. I am sure in the future they might have custom frames? With them making only 20, it's really a one off item for them. Even Black Sheep's frames cost in the same close range.
My original point was that it's too expensive for a snow bike that will be used for a few months. I suppose the argument could be made that you could use it during the summer as well, but most people would rather just ride their standard bike.

The literature on the site was about their teaming up with Curiak to do R&D. That's commendable, but I think we all consider Surly to be the originator of the snow bike phenomenon.

As far as I can see, the only people ordering these bikes will be hardcore racers, like Curiak.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The snowbike frame is still less expensive than their new 4in travel 29er frameset. And let's face it if you were wealthy, and going to Idiabike this is what you would want. Fringe market for sure, but it is a little nicer than any Surley. I've seen those ?ike bikes and they are one off masterpieces. If you happen to need a bike to ride into and out of the middle of nowhere, AK.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I like the 3D snowbike better. I saw Chris with it in Telluride. The elevated chainstay allows for a short rear end despite the huge tire, less snow build-up, and you can use a belt drive!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
All Moots frames are ridiculously expensive, until you consider that they last forever, you can take your frame up to Steamboat anytime for a refresh, and they ride great throughout their lifetimes. I have a 1995 YBB MTB and a 1999 Psychlo-X, and they are still awesome rides. I cringed at the pricetag when I bought them, but if you look at it from a dollars per year of service angle, they were dirt cheap.

How many of you out there are still riding your 1995 or 1999 frames? How many of the high dollar carbon frames people are riding now will still be on the trail in 16 years?

BTW, Moots frames often show up on craigslist or eBay for way less than new. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy one used. You can take them up to Steamboat to be refinished and have new decals, and they are as good as new. If you want disk tabs on a bike that doesn't have them, they will put them on for you.

·
50 states in my 50s
2,830 Posts
How many of you out there are still riding your 1995 or 1999 frames?
Still riding my '95 Boulder Starship. Even had someone come up to my at Hall Ranch the other day wanting to look at it because he "lusted" over these 13 years ago. :) Sometimes its cool having a old bike. Still, if I had the money these days i would get something new...

·
Registered
848 Posts
How many of you out there are still riding your 1995 or 1999 frames? How many of the high dollar carbon frames people are riding now will still be on the trail in 16 years?
I rode a cheap Mongoose (rockadile, I think?) for nearly ten years back in the 90s, one of my first mountain bikes. I abused the crap out of that thing and it never broke. I honestly believe I could be riding it now, but I got rid of it because I wanted something newer, not because it failed me. I've had many bikes since.

Cost is relative for everyone. My friend bought a mid-1990s $80k Ferrari 360 Modena recently (that I got to drive!). Even if I had $80k to drop on a car like that I'd never do it--that car is not "worth" $80k to me, and in fact, NO car is.

I have a Voodoo frame that cost $400 and (to me) is beautiful. Is it as good/are the welds as artfully done as that Moots? I'm sure it's not. Is the Moots a "better" frame? I'll take your word for it that it is... but is it ten times better? Not as far as I'm concerned.

Even if I was filthy rich, I don't think I'd drop $4k on a bike frame, but again, that's just me. On the other hand, I'd think nothing of spending $20k on a long travel excursion... so it's all in what you value.

For my purposes, I don't need (or really even want) a $4000 bike frame.

All this said, I really do like Moots, I think they're way cool. I could just never justify the expenditure.

·
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me reiterate, I was not talking about the quality of Moots frames. I was talking about the fact that, when you buy an expensive bike, you are going to get one that you use to death. I can see how a very limited number of people would get something out of a Moots snowbike, but the vast majority would be wasting their money on something they rarely use. I brought this up because there was a thread last month about snowbikes, and most responders didn't want to spend $1500 on a complete bike from Surly. How much more so a $4k bike from Moots!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.