Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I just thought I'd ask if anybody might be interested in getting together a group of approx 6 + to share costs for something. That something is some skills training by a pro rider, Lee McCormack. (www.leelikesbikes.com). He co-wrote "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills" with Brian Lopes, and he does training camps.

Really cool guy, I emailed him and anyway, I don't know the costs, but he said If I/we were interested, he would put some proposal together.

So, if I may take a poll please, just a couple simple questions:

1. In general, would you possibly be interested in something like this?
2. Would you have the time, like a full spring or summer day or maybe two full days on a weekend?
3. Would you be able to come up with some discretionary funds to combine to pay for this? (I'll find out the costs if there is interest, and we can see what it would be per person)
By the way, he says the costs are the same regardless of how many more over 6, but it sounds like 6 is the minimum.
4. What would you like to improve on with professional coaching (other than fitness; talking skills here)?

I appreciate your time, and if you're not interested you really don't need to respond, as I really am not asking for sarcasm here, but I am using the board as the main population, I'm not going to go drum up interest, I don't have the time. Either folks are interested or they're not.

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
sounds interesting

Drops, jumps, cornering, steep roll offs (if thats what there called) Is there a maximum number in the group he will teach. One or two days would be cool. It would all depend on the final costs for me.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think he wants 6, but it sounds like he'd be willing to teach a few more:

"Sure!

I can set up a custom program to meet your needs. Do you have a crew that?s willing to share costs? I can teach up to six people at a time. The total cost is the same no matter how many riders you have.

If you?re into it, tell me a bit about your crew and what kind of time you have, and I?ll send you a bid.

Rock,

-- Lee"

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I think I'm willing to spend $100 max for a course like this.

Preferably I'd like to do this sometime in the summer since I'm gonna need spring to get up to snuff.

You guys know Shaum March was here last year for the big BSU OAP convention right? He put on a class, but it was only open to convention attendees. That woulda been fun to learn from one of the best.

This past summer I wanted to take one of Dirt Dart's downhill clinics up at Tamarack, but just couldn't make it work. Hopefully he teaches it again next summer and I'm over my mental block of Super G by then :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on Nick. Yeah that amount per person is about what I had in mind too, so I'll be getting back with him soon, and then with you guys.

And no I didn't know SM was here. I wonder where he put the class on, that would have been awesome to take part in

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest:
read the thread, comment, etc. I'm thinking spring or early summer of course:

understand. Few people see the $$$ value in coaching.

New wheels cost $500 and yield a negligible improvement. New skills cost half that and can chang everything. The top DHers I work with save a second in every corner. ... And they were already pretty good!

Thanks for rocking this,

-- Lee

PS: We can always do a mondo huge group.

On 1/15/07 8:07 PM, "Daryl King" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Lee,

Me, I think it sounds awesome. Some folks here were saying they had to stay at like $100+ each, so I've posted on mtbr and will talk to a few more people to see about recruiting more.

Myself, I'm okay with $240 but guess I need to get it down for the other people.

I'll get back with ya soon; and thank you!

Daryl

Lee McCormack <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey Daryl,

I can do more riders ? you just lose some 1:1 attention (and save some money). If you?re all about the same level that isn?t such a a big deal. One thing that?s awesome about your group doing it: You all can coach each other going forward. You?ll need someone to keep you on track.

From your list, seems like we need two days. Estimate:

Mileage: $640
Lodging: N/A ? but maybe a borrowed shower ... :)
Two 1/2 days of riding: $800

We?ll do a couple hours of drills, then apply the skills for a couple more. I promise people will be burning out ... It?s a lot of physical and mental work.

Total: $1440

Shared among 6 riders, that?s $240 each. ... $240 that?ll change your life!

Steps:

Pick dates
Prepay the sum to me (you collect from your bros)
Pick locations
Rip it!

What do you think?

-- Lee

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I can't commit but if you hit $100 I would seriously consider.

It is important to get it on good terain. Most of the boise foot hills would be better served by a road racer as it is very smooth.

I would want a broad topic coverage. wheelie drops are nice but I'd like to see cornering, line selection, climbing, variety drops (wheelie, small stuff etc)

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
I'm probably in for $100 if the timing fits. Thanks for working on this, D.

I'd like to be able to ride Big Wood & Rock Islands stuff with total command and control of the terrain. Learning to wheelie and manual better would be fun, as well as trackstands on rocks, with better side-hops to position the bike for technical negotiations. That sort of thing. I'm not interested in learning how to go downhill faster.

CDB

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taking a count

Well, that's about 8 people so far and this was just posted. Not bad!
I'm confident we can get the number up to 12, and then the price per person goes down to just a bit over $100.

Once we get the numbers I'll ask who's really committed so we really have the numbers, then I'll have to collect and send a check to Lee.

We'll plan well ahead accordingly for a spring or early summer day that we know the forecast is good, trail conditions are good, and we'll have to choose a few different locations.

Thank you guys so far!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Daryl ---

What is the timeline for making a committment, getting $ to you/Lee, etc.? Uhhhh I may need to ask for either a partial loan or pay the fee in several installments. Sorry, but I'm spread very thin right now :rolleyes:.

What about issuing of refunds if we have already given you the $, but can't make it for some reason? If I make a $ committment, more than likely I will be able to make it. But ya' never know what kind of monkey wrench could be thrown into my plans.

I'm like CBro...I'd like to be able to ride stuff like Rock Islands or the stuff Ian is building up at Bogus (never ridden up there though) more comfortably instead of being a wuss.

I'd also like to be a better rider at places like Tamarack and Brundage. I wanna be able to take corners much more faster and actually hit jumps with some style instead of looking like a flaming goofball.

Oh...and I don't wanna crash anymore. Crashing sucks and screws with me mentally.
:rolleyes:

Nick

EDIT...PS..just sent you a PM.

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
I'm in.......maybe?

Darryl,

I can swing $100 but not until April. Mommy put a freeze on the Mt. Bike funds. For awhile.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm probably up for about $150. I am currently unemployed, but I'll find something in short order. Also, I know of 1 or 2 people who I could most probably convince to join in on it.

During summer break, I could do it anytime, and if it was during school, it'd have to be at least one of the days on a weekend, preferably both.

I know I'm going to get a hard time for saying this, but personally, I'd prefer it to be mainly skill related, so therefore, it might be a good idea to do some shuttles. If we're going to be riding for hours on end, and having to climb a lot:
1) I'm simply not going to be able to keep up!
2) I feel like doing A LOT OF climbing would be somewhat worthless, because it's not teaching us anything to burn a bunch of calories.
3) That leaves more time for working on what really matters like cornering, braking, and other items of interest.

As a matter of fact, I think that potentially, it would be a good idea to do it somewhere lift services such as Tamarack or Brundage. I know you guys aren't into the whole DH and FR thing, but there are plenty of trails that are easy enough for my mother to ride and trails that give me reason to slow down. With the vast variety in terrain, there's plenty of examples of any kind of trail obstacle imaginable. And that way, we could cover TONS of ground with half the physical effort. I'm not looking to get physically stronger through this; I just want to improve my skill set.

Personally, I'd like to see the emphasis be more on stuff that will make me a faster rider, such as cornering technique, but really anything I learn from it would make me better.

So you can count me in as long as it's going to be fairly fitting to my style of riding. I'm not asking for a DH camp by any stretch, but I think it would be good for all participating for it to be more focused on skill learning and reinforcement than for it to be thoughrally exausting.

Well I'd like to see what you have to say about my suggestions, and we'll go from there.

And if you guys aren't interested in having my lazy freeriding ass along, absolutely no hard feelings whatsoever. I wouldn't want to be a burden and hold you guys up, and there's simply no way I can do a great deal of climbing with a single chainring bike.

Later,
Trevor

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.