Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode home today in the pooring rain. Same thing last Friday. Anyone else nutty enough to be riding in this weather? Rim breaks in the rain = living on the edge...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't care what it does tomorrow. I am riding my new SC Superlight. Just finished the build a couple hours ago:thumbsup: So, it will probably hail softballs, but I am goin'!!!

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
Love the wet rim breaks

Squeeze lever
Nothing
Nothing
Nothing
Uh-oh
Screech! (at least that's what my V-brakes sound like)
Phew!

Did motorists give you at least 3 feet?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yeah, got in about an hour this afternoon in Santa Cruz. Worked out okay because the trails we rode are best in the rain (sandy/sand stone trails). We got a bit soggy, but nothing to complain about. We were more off gaurd by the fact that the storm clouds had it getting too dark to see about 30 minutes earlier than expected. We were definitely laughing and starting to bounce off of trees and bushes by the end due to poor lighting. Roots, rocks, and wet leaves are slick out there, so pay attention :D

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Now that school has started I don't ride as much to work since I need my camera gear & laptop for work, but then I need to bring it home so I can take it to school the next day.

Today though I am planning on riding up Metcalf and around to Silvercreek rd to get some miles & climbing in after I get out of school around 1

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,691 Posts
The Law is hard core. Hella hard core. Kudos to you for not gettin' in a car.

Me? During the rain yesterday I was sitting on a sofa under a blanket with a purring cat in my lap, so I'm maybe not quite so hard core.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
<----------------- Not hard core

On Saturday, I had a nice fluffy omelet, then went to the mall, then watched some college basketball.... Ooh, I went and played some billiards at night!

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
saturday...cx bike up hicks then over mt. sombrosa and down kennedy (windy and wet...blech)....cantilever brakes don't last long when ya descend kennedy in the rain...found out i had no brakes after i blew thru blossom hill intersection wondering why my levers were crunching my fingers :eek:

yesterday i listened to the weather man....no rain gear on my motobike....that sux too...stoopid weather man :mad:

tonite is 50 miles of flattish roadie nite riding....the lites are a chargin' :thumbsup:

personally....i like Plim's sofa ideas....not sure 'bout the cat purring though.....kinda puts some strange images in my knoggin...:p

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
geezus..

The Law said:
Rode home today in the pooring rain. Same thing last Friday. Anyone else nutty enough to be riding in this weather? Rim breaks in the rain = living on the edge...
be careful. I take it your riding on a class one path or delineated bike lane when your doing that?

·
Paper or plastic?
10,034 Posts
Saturday morning: pancakes
Saturday afternoon: snow ball fight with my kids
Saturday evening: steak sandwich, lamb chops, and some smores
Sunday morning: craisin pancakes, then more snow ball fight with my kids, then tried to teach the younger one to snowboard, then teach the older one to ski, then some sledding
Sunday afternoon: more meat, although I might have accidentally eaten some vegetables (a moment of inattention I'm sure).

This week: I'm on diet. Props to the Law for her mad winter riding skillz.

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
I am hardcore:

I rode home from work yesterday in the pouring rain. No rainjacket, just a fleece. The water soaked up and added a few pounds of weight.

Then again, all that drinking overseas has me a few pounds heavier these days.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Once I am out riding in the rain I am good to go till my hands and feet freeze up. It's always a psychological thing of just starting a ride when it's pouring rain, but once you are going and if you can stay warm it can be fun. ,

They do say it might be in the 70's this weekend :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Plan B

It was raining hard here in north San Jose, so I used Plan B. I rode a half mile to the nearest lightrail stop. By then I was soaked, so I discreetly changed back into my dry street clothes. I took the lightrail to Mountain View, and was going to take Caltrain one stop to Sunnyvale, where I live, but the next train wasn't for another 50 minutes. So I went to Tied House and drank a couple of IPAs. By then the rain had stopped. Not a bad commute after all.

·
Outrageously happy
71 Posts
I rode on Sunday evening from Saratoga Gap to Stegner's Bench. Beautiful clouds and sunset. I got pretty muddy and I definintely took it easy. I had to dismount half a dozen times. Monday lunchtime I got a ride in at St. Joe's hill. Again, very pretty and slightly muddy. I'd hardly consider myself hardcore, just opportunistic. :D

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,691 Posts
Spelling Police!

zorg said:
Props to the Law for her mad winter riding skillz.
The proper spelling is "skilz." Please make a note of it.

I believe you are confusing the modern word "skilz" with the anachronistic word "skills," which is the plural of "skill."

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
See, and you guys fell for Plim saying he's not the new Mod.

I'm way NOT hardcore. I like quiche and moonlit nights on the beach sipping Irish coffees.

Riding down a trail with the fork locked out is just crazy. I can't even fathom datt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts