Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this fork is old technology, but Hey, I love a project.

I just got a White Brothers, CX-1 fork and I want to rebuild it. I downloaded the Info off the WB site but I think it's more for basic info, more than specific info about this fork. I come to this conclusion because all the pressure charts name the others forks they make, but never name the CX-1 specifically.

The first thing I noticed is that the fork has about only 60mm of travel.

Since this fork has 2 air valves I was thinking one controls the positive, and one the negative. The Info from WB does say anything about it. To test this theory I air up both chamber with the legs off with about 20Lbs.of air. They are definatley different . . . Maybe one is broke is some way . . . ?

I also don't see anything to do with dampening. All the stuff from WB is just about other forks they make. Maybe this fork doesn't have it.

Who's got info about this fork?

·
Pudgy Old Guy
536 Posts
I believe that fork...

Hexonxonx said:
I realize this fork is old technology, but Hey, I love a project.

I just got a White Brothers, CX-1 fork and I want to rebuild it. I downloaded the Info off the WB site but I think it's more for basic info, more than specific info about this fork. I come to this conclusion because all the pressure charts name the others forks they make, but never name the CX-1 specifically.

The first thing I noticed is that the fork has about only 60mm of travel.

Since this fork has 2 air valves I was thinking one controls the positive, and one the negative. The Info from WB does say anything about it. To test this theory I air up both chamber with the legs off with about 20Lbs.of air. They are definatley different . . . Maybe one is broke is some way . . . ?

I also don't see anything to do with dampening. All the stuff from WB is just about other forks they make. Maybe this fork doesn't have it.

Who's got info about this fork?
uses the old Englund air cartridges. The valves on each leg are both for positive. The damping was handled by an insert you could only get to if you unscrewed the top of the cartridge. You could screw it in and out some or change for a different sized insert. If I am mistaken about that fork using the Englund cartridge, then all this info is wrong.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
POG said:
uses the old Englund air cartridges. The valves on each leg are both for positive. The damping was handled by an insert you could only get to if you unscrewed the top of the cartridge. You could screw it in and out some or change for a different sized insert. If I am mistaken about that fork using the Englund cartridge, then all this info is wrong.
Your info is correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dampers in the fork are Total Air.
The manual for the fork is the same as the XC4\AT4. The parts are basically an AT4. The difference is the lowers are 1" longer than the AT4 and the dummy rods are 1" longer. The tuning guide at <www.totalair.com> is the same for all forks with the air dampers in them.The fork has 80mm of travel. The stock psi. from the factory is 150psi. That is for a 1150-175 lb. rider.
Tim

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
If you're noting a big difference between the two cartridges when set to the same pressure, tear into that fork and clean and relube it. As you'll see from the WB documents and first hand once you remove the internals, the Total Air cartridges are extremely simple to service. You'll want to get your hands on a complete set of damping inserts (3 per side) which allow you to tailor both rebound and compression to your weight and riding style. The damping inserts are simple composite screws with holes drilled through them, and shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The CX-1 had a kit that you could buy to lower the travel to 55mm, it's possible that the fork you have has that kit installed. The crown height is the same as a 26" fork making it possible to put the fork on nonsus corrected 29er. I know this because I've done it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts