Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok all you cowboys. If you're headin' to the 10th Annual FRUITA FAT TIRE FEST this year, you best be there by Wednesday, May 4th by 6pm in front of Over The Edge Sports to see and hear
SPLIT LIP RAYFIELD
These boys from Lawrence, Kansas and beyond will kick your ass with their version of bluegrass hollers. Hellfire, the stand-up bass is made from the gas tank of Ford Econoline van. What more do you want? This ain't none of that toby keith shtit, either. This is bonafide METAL-GRASS!

·
2,821 Posts
I won't be there this year...but these guys are good. They played at a summer concert series in Fort Collins a few years back - that gas tank/Bass is how I remembered them.

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that wouldn't be any fun...

but I'll try to make it anyway. What are the dates? Still planning on bringing another crue for the Dakota 5-Oh!

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
July 3rd, not much of an event....

....really just a low rent race with beer and bbq to follow. Not too intense or entertaining. But a good thing nonetheless! The Dak 50 is the one to 'save up for' if you only have one trip in you.

But yeah, July 3, $5 race, poorly marked, most likely starting late, and disorganized. And you gotta buy your own beer at the end. The trails it is on are very good, lots of winding along at high speed through dense ponderosa forests, loads of short up/down.

Parking and Start/Finish is right across the street from a nice burger joint and bar (Rockerville).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hurl and Tim in Red Neck country

I'll be in Fruita working the DT tent and riding too. But the question is: Are either of you too on adult wheels yet? Tim, you ought to be on one by now, at least on your SS. That Bullit can't be much fun on 18 road. Or, bring the Quick Beem with fatties.

See ya,
Dave A

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aggro-Torpedo

I am, actually. It's a 20" Thelonious Monkey. But as you know Dave, even though I'm on adult wheels, I'm still interested in contributing to the delinquency of a (Ken) minor...

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
adult wheels?

Oh, yeah, I forgot this is the 29er dealio over here. I was just chatting up with Hurl. But anyways, YUP, I am on very adult wheels, something with a huge contact patch, tons of traction and big volume. 26 x 2.7 Mobsters on Dee Max wheels. I suppose comparing the 29er tires available to the typical 26 x 1.9 semislick racer-dude tires does make a 700c x 2.1 tire seem big.

But I think the Bullit will be fun on 18rd. We can swap bikes for laps down Prime Cut. Maybe I can get you on an adult full suspension bike!

Wow, comments like that on this board is like walking into a Jewish Synagogue whilst eating a BLT....

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
The riding is great, but...

I went to Fruita (to ride) for the first time ever this past weekend (with Tuggle) and then on to Moab. If that was the regular trail traffic during a weekend, I wouldn't want to be there during a festival if riding was my prime concern. I loved Fruita's riding, both the Book Cliffs and the Kokopelli area, but thankfully we got out early and did virtually all the Kokopelli stuff before the crowds showed up. Yielding, passing and watching-out for oncoming traffic when we were inbound on Mary's Trail was far less pleasant than the outbound ride. Moab was even more of a zoo, but once again the early bird gets the clear trail...

I must say Fruita has some style, unlike my memories of it from the '70s B.M-B. (Before Mountain-Biking) . And what can you say about the Edge shop? Bikes, helpful staff, and esspresso brewed-up by the mechanic. I thought I had died and gone to heaven...

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
PeT said:
, and esspresso brewed-up by the mechanic. I thought I had died and gone to heaven...
The coffe bar has some interesting staffing at times to say the least.We even have a few celebrity baristas for the festival.
A lot of people come before and after the Festival so the most popular trails get a little busy for three straight weeks.
If you bribe that same mechanic he would probably point you to some lesser known trails :)

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
homie don't want none, homie don't get none...

Fruita is a goldmine. You just have to dial in the prospectors. Straight Jacket. Simon's a punk.Can't wait to be on the opposite side of the shop, Keith. No workin' for me this year.

cheerios,
-Hurl

·
Registered
235 Posts
down Prime Cut...

Tim, we may as well ride Burro's down Prime Cut, cause knowbody will be going very fast due to the crowds. Unfortunately that is the one trail I stay off this time of year. Sure, bring the Bullit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
DaveA good to meet you

I went out last week on first trip to Fruita. Though I wanted to be there for the festival for social reasons, I went out early to miss some of the traffic. Met DaveA and saw his handsome Strong Cycles single speed. From the weather map this week, it looks like we ended up with a little better weather last week. Just lucking out on the conditions is about half the fun. I have some great pics from the trip and will post here soon. While it took about twelve hours to drive there, Fruita is a definite do again. I'm already thinking about how to get out there this fall.

Kansasflatlander

DaveA said:
Tim, we may as well ride Burro's down Prime Cut, cause knowbody will be going very fast due to the crowds. Unfortunately that is the one trail I stay off this time of year. Sure, bring the Bullit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.