Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be there. If the past is any indicator, it should be a fun series.

Not sure how I'm going to do - it's been a while since I've raced. And last race ('13 Folsom Prison MTB) I managed to herniate my L5-S1 disc. The race was a blast - that next morning in the ER was decidedly not.

Also, my training has been with a 12-year-old. So, if I registered for the 13-and-under class I'd probably do pretty well. As it is, I'll be happy for the exercise.

There, all my excuses out on the table. That and my bike is seriously old...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have a 13 just about to be 14 year old that rides. I was thinking about trying to do some of those with him. Where do you live? I'm in Midtown, but I share 50/50 and the kids live out in Rancho Murieta when with their mom.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
After a long absence, I will staging a comeback in the Clyde's division.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 13 just about to be 14 year old that rides. I was thinking about trying to do some of those with him. Where do you live?
I live in Folsom (not the prison). It's a good youth presence out there. My kid had fun last year and is looking forward to this year.

Bring a fat wallet. No longer grass roots for me
Yes, registration is more this year. Even with the price increase, I don't think the organizers are yet driving Bentleys. I'm still bummed their numbers didn't work out to run the Rodeo CX races last fall.

·
Thread Killa
357 Posts
I had intended to race beginner this season and already signed up to do so. Ankle fracture last week cancels those plans but I'll still come out to watch, cheer and hopefully my 5 year old will race a kids race or 2.

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Bring a fat wallet. No longer grass roots for me
Have you given them feedback? https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JBVVZPJ

Just curious what made it not grass roots for you... cost? I wish it cost $10-$15 per race, but I believe an injury a couple years ago, and subsequent lawsuit truly affected Brian's insurance... which keeps pricing at $20/race. I dunno... $18.50/race with a season pass is not terrible, and I'm a cheapskate. A season pass also motivates me to make every race, so I don't "waste" money.

I'm still trying to decide between gears and singlespeed.... I'm looking forward to the pain, competition and camaraderie regardless!

p.s. If you or your better half have time to volunteer either before, during or after the races, you can race for free. It doesn't get more grassroots than that! Contact Brian or Sara...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have a 13 just about to be 14 year old that rides. I was thinking about trying to do some of those with him. Where do you live? I'm in Midtown, but I share 50/50 and the kids live out in Rancho Murieta when with their mom.
Your first race will actually be the SECOND event, April 9, and will include mentors to race alongside with the kids. It is a great way to teach your kid about the fun part of competition and camaraderie.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
The combination of the high cost and the chip timing ended the 'grass roots' feel for me. The high cost is a significant reason for me to not race the last couple seasons.
And I have never felt the need to know immediately what my results were. It's not like they're doing podiums every week. We can wait a day or two.
I completed the survey a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
354 Posts
And last race ('13 Folsom Prison MTB) I managed to herniate my L5-S1 disc. The race was a blast - that next morning in the ER was decidedly not.
Almost the same thing happened to me at that race as well. Pulled a back muscle less than a mile after the start of the race. Got clogged up by some racers that fell/stalled on the short steep climbs at the start and had to try and push a tall gear up those short steep climbs. Lost all my momentum also and had to track stand to avoid unclipping. Now that I think about it I should of just unclipped and ran up the hill.

I have been wanting to try the PCRS for a couple years, maybe this will be the year that I do! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll be there for my first ever race. I'll be in the beginner "geezer" category. Since I've never raced before I can't compare to "how it used to be." Sounds fun to me and I'm really looking forward to it.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be there for my first ever race. I'll be in the beginner "geezer" category. Since I've never raced before I can't compare to "how it used to be." Sounds fun to me and I'm really looking forward to it.
Allright Mark! And welcome to the forum BTW. We may be in the same CAT - Beginner 50+ (wtf wheredidthetimego).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Allright Mark! And welcome to the forum BTW. We may be in the same CAT - Beginner 50+ (wtf wheredidthetimego).
Thanks! I'll be on an old school green Superlight. I met another guy at a TBF clinic who'll be there in the 30-40. Looking forward to racing and meeting others to ride with.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Cost?????

The combination of the high cost and the chip timing ended the 'grass roots' feel for me. The high cost is a significant reason for me to not race the last couple seasons.
And I have never felt the need to know immediately what my results were. It's not like they're doing podiums every week. We can wait a day or two.
I completed the survey a couple weeks ago.
Where else in the USA can you race for $20.00???

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'll be there on my ss. Never raced prarie city before, what ratios are you guys running?
Also, I'll be dead last in the expert ss pack most likely, I kind of want that extra lap of I'm already paying ha!

·
Registered
883 Posts
In again for "old guy" expert......Most of us know each other well in this class and I can pretty much tell you where I'll finish.....not first and not DFL. I plan on racing my Fat Bike at least once just to mix things up....5lbs of air will feel good or at least better on the baby heads

·
more skier than biker
2,362 Posts
I'll be there on my ss. Never raced prarie city before, what ratios are you guys running?
Also, I'll be dead last in the expert ss pack most likely, I kind of want that extra lap of I'm already paying ha!
You can go with alot of gear inches at Prairie City. I'll be racing my SS in the Pro geared class and trying to be competitive there with something like a 36x15 or 36x16 (and will be drafting a lot!)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts