Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a set of good hydro stoppers for a while. Checked the internet, checked the local shops, checked Ebay. The Goat and family are living off rice and beans so spending alot wasn't an option. Last call, made to REI.

Jacob tells me they have their last set of F&R 2009 Avid Elixir R's on sale for $69 a piece. That's cheaper then the MSRP on a BB7 caliper.

exactly 1 hour later I have my new brakes in my hands.

Thanks REI! :thumbsup:

By the way, XCguy if your reading this, change out the G3 rotor to any other. The vibration and humming issues you have should go away.

·
134 Posts
Great find! When is the new frame arriving?:D
I 3rd the G3 rotor issue. They are just too thin. When my rear rotor gets going, the whole frame resonates. Keeping the caliper perfectly adjusted and using automotive anti-squeal on the rotor mounting bolts has only delayed the inevitable replacement. Don't waste time/money on the G2s either. They were even worse.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Another solution is to do a little maintenance and deglaze your pads and rotors once in awhile.

·
134 Posts
Nickle said:
Another solution is to do a little maintenance and deglaze your pads and rotors once in awhile.
All part of keeping the caliper perfectly adjusted.;) Not really a solution, just delaying the inevitable. I, for one, do a lot of maintenance on my bikes. It takes a lot of the fun out of a ride when things aren't working properly.

edit - I don't mean to sound contrarian... It's just that I had about 500 miles of misery with my first set of Juicy 7s before I figured out how to keep them in check. I almost replaced the J7s with Elixers which would have solved nothing. Frame flex and loose suspension pivot points can also aggrevate a healthy brake system. Anyway, back on topic - Enjoy the Elixers MGE. It is looking like you have a killer bike in the works.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
avion.nomad said:
Great find! When is the new frame arriving?:D
I 3rd the G3 rotor issue. They are just too thin. When my rear rotor gets going, the whole frame resonates. Keeping the caliper perfectly adjusted and using automotive anti-squeal on the rotor mounting bolts has only delayed the inevitable replacement. Don't waste time/money on the G2s either. They were even worse.
New frame arrives Thursday.

The Elixir's have a known humming vibrating issue brand new out of the box. Sram was replacing some for a few folks but for those that have em, just switch to a rotor of a different brand. I'm running the Alligator rotors myself.

Late Edit: Rear is an Alligator rotor for now. When I get the Alfine back it'll be on a XT rotor.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
mountaingoatepics said:
I've been looking for a set of good hydro stoppers for a while. Checked the internet, checked the local shops, checked Ebay. The Goat and family are living off rice and beans so spending alot wasn't an option. Last call, made to REI.

Jacob tells me they have their last set of F&R 2009 Avid Elixir R's on sale for $69 a piece. That's cheaper then the MSRP on a BB7 caliper.

exactly 1 hour later I have my new brakes in my hands.

Thanks REI! :thumbsup:

By the way, XCguy if your reading this, change out the G3 rotor to any other. The vibration and humming issues you have should go away.
Congrats on your good fortune. I tried everything, including changing out the rotors. The only thing that worked was getting a new set of Elixir Rs, 2010 model, as a replacement from Avid (thanks to Dave at Redstone). YMMV. They really are great brakes when they're not vibrating your bike to pieces. The replacement set was totally quiet, the first set...well, I'm sure you've read all about it over on the Brake forum.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Get off the brakes and they won't vibrate, you'll save money on tires, go faster, probably still get passed a lot, but you won't have that dang vibration problem. Stop skidding too!

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xcguy said:
Congrats on your good fortune. I tried everything, including changing out the rotors. The only thing that worked was getting a new set of Elixir Rs, 2010 model, as a replacement from Avid (thanks to Dave at Redstone). YMMV. They really are great brakes when they're not vibrating your bike to pieces. The replacement set was totally quiet, the first set...well, I'm sure you've read all about it over on the Brake forum.
I'll keep that in mind if mine ever give me the shudders.

·
134 Posts
I almost have to laugh... When I was researching the J7 issue Avid was replacing G2 rotors with G3s. Then they admitted the G3s weren't really the solution and claimed the '09 Elixers would be the end all. Now I learn that the '09 Elixers have a known problem which is exactly, from what I'm reading, the same problem the J7s had.
I must share a little trick though: ride Moab on a regular basis. When we were getting miles in out there my brakes were almost maintenance free. I think that Moab fine sand/silt keeps the rotors and pads perfectly seated. Now that I haven't been to Moab for over a month the vibes are starting again. Maybe next time out I'll bring a can of that magic sand back with me.
I've got a hunch they won't be half the PITA on a hardtail

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
mountaingoatepics' blog said:
Soma and the Merry Sales Co have been great about replacing the frames and now we have worked out a deal on a Double Cross instead.
Just picked up a Double Cross (disc) myself. Really like the 132.5 rear, as I can throw some crappy roadie wheels on it for now. Then put some better ones on with an Alfine 8sp hub in the future, and I wont have to worry about spacing.

Hope I can get it rollin soon, I am truly lost without my grociery getter (sold), especially now with local mud paths / sidewalks being all there is to ride.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WKD-RDR said:
Just picked up a Double Cross (disc) myself. Really like the 132.5 rear, as I can throw some crappy roadie wheels on it for now. Then put some better ones on with an Alfine 8sp hub in the future, and I wont have to worry about spacing.

Hope I can get it rollin soon, I am truly lost without my grociery getter (sold), especially now with local mud paths / sidewalks being all there is to ride.
Sweet! I've been wanting a cross bike for the paths and gravel for a while. Figure I can't be as hard on a cross bike as a mountain bike, right? :skep:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.