Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all
I have a deliema...there are two bike shops in two that i have significant experience with so i'm wondering which of these two would you support

1. This shop gives deals to just about everyone, but only one of the staff seems to really know anything about MTB's and he's the manager, and the head wrench is well sub standard IMO. The majority of this shops employees are there hockey associates and know very little about MTB's

2. This shop sells eveything at full retail, the owner runs the shop and is knowledgable in bikes and the owner does all the wrenching himself. This shop is not a dealer for one of the major distributors.

So do i choose knowledge over price or do i save money and live with the sub-standard knowledge?

TIA
DMR

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Well maybe I'm missing something, but it seems if you have significant experience with bith; that means likely that neither one can fullfull all your needs 100% of the time.

So continue to support both.

I'd always check with the store that has the edge in knowledge first though and if it can do what is needed then it gets the dough.

·
Registered
779 Posts
there are plenty of knowledgable people right here on the boards. if you have any tough questions then ask one of us. dont waste your time in retail.
find out the answers to your questions and figure out which product is best right here. then once youve made a decision walk into your LBS pick what you need and walk out.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
hmm-or maybe--

LBS don't often have what's really desired in stock; so after you gain that knowledge here you could always check out with your favorite Local/Distant Bike Supply E-tailer.
edit--I think thats the tack lots of us take.

Jersey said:
there are plenty of knowledgable people right here on the boards. if you have any tough questions then ask one of us. dont waste your time in retail.
find out the answers to your questions and figure out which product is best right here. then once youve made a decision walk into your LBS pick what you need and walk out.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jersey said:
What if no one came to you for buisness would you keep your doors open?

You could buy your parts from #1 then go to #2 for the install. If the distance is too far to bounce up & down then go to #2 explain the situation & ask if you can get a discount. Cant hurt to ask :cool:

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
You know what I like about restaurants? I like that I can go to El Caporal one week, Taj Palace the next, then Deschutes Brewery the week after that and not feel as if I've been disloyal to any one of them. Sometimes I even order home delivery. Get it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMO, the shop you should support most of the time is the one in which "the owner runs the shop and is knowledgable in bikes and the owner does all the wrenching himself."

Your buck may not go as far, but at least you know where the buck stops.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to buy stuff off e-tailers but being in Canada...the canadian etailers have limited selection and service from some isn't all that great....and buying from the states some times costs more than buying from the most exspensive LBS....unless i can find a sweet deal
DMR

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Get the best machine for the money

DMR For Life said:
Hey all
I have a deliema...there are two bike shops in two that i have significant experience with so i'm wondering which of these two would you support

1. This shop gives deals to just about everyone, but only one of the staff seems to really know anything about MTB's and he's the manager, and the head wrench is well sub standard IMO. The majority of this shops employees are there hockey associates and know very little about MTB's

2. This shop sells eveything at full retail, the owner runs the shop and is knowledgable in bikes and the owner does all the wrenching himself. This shop is not a dealer for one of the major distributors.

So do i choose knowledge over price or do i save money and live with the sub-standard knowledge?

TIA
DMR
your mechanic is not going to be with you while your riding off road but your new bike will be,
get a good one and there won't be much wrenching needed.

Besides with the money you save by not paying the bike guru,
you could buy some bike tools and a book and be your own man.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Can you wrench?

I you can't wrench then suport #2 where the owner dos the wrenching it will be worth it in the long run. If you ever have a sub par mechanic work on your bike you will regret it. If you can wrench then go where the best price is. It's good to see some people still want suport the LBS.

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
get a good [bike] and there won't be much wrenching needed.
Ehhh, can't say I agree. Even the highest dollar bike will need wrenching, hopefully not right away, but at some point. Anyone who rides farther than he or she feels comfortable walking should learn to do trailside repairs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.