Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a king headset bought and installed. I have several choices of shops to go with. Who would you choose?

1. The shop I bought the bike from. Charges $25 for install. Must order myself because of some corporate politics. Plan to order from speedgoat or performance for 129.00. Tried a reverse bleed on my brakes, messy experience(watched him do it) and didn't work. Decided to buy a Hayes kit and do it myself.

2. The closest shop to me, 25 to install. They recommended to get it at the cheapest place possible and let them install it. Guys are young that work on the bikes, teens to early 20s. One young gentlemen didn't know what a UST valve was. Had my shifters installed by one of the young guys there. No problems.

3. Good shop. Sells high end bikes like SC. 140 for the headset and another 40 to put it in Facing extra. Price seems steep. No work done on my bikes.

4. Older shop in my area. 130 in stock in my color choice. 40 to install and another 20 to face. One location that didn't have it in stock told me I wouldn't have to worry about facing nowawadays. Lube it up and press it in. The other location told me it was dependent on the bike and how it was made. No work done on my bikes.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
My $.02

1. Whomever has the CK HS press and has done the most installs would be my bet.

FYI- When I took my fork off to send to Push, I checked the HT surfaces and bottom and mine was faced. Ditto with the disc brake tabs on the fork and frame. I'm assuming (but didn't check that the bb shell was also chased and faced and the seat tube reamed when the frame was received in CO.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I called the bike shop just down the road from me and they said it would be $25 to install my headset and they said they could do it now if I came in.

I took the bike and frame in and the 20 something in the shop said nice frame (raw 575) he put in the headset without using the CK tool and charged me $5.

If you have the HS pretty much anyone can put it in. For that matter go to HomeDepot and make your own HS press with washers and threaded rod.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
If you've pressed in as many headsets as I have then paying the $100 for the Park headset press tool (on sale) has paid for itself in the time it has saved me and the convenience. A LBS charging $25 is rediculous for something that takes 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Please read below!!!

Here is the Puerto Rican Mooching way of doing it: ( Sorry, this is how we do it back home)

1. Read these instructions:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

2. Go to the shop, bring your bike with you, and ask the bike shop dude if you can borrow the headset press.

3. If he says yes, then put the bike on his stand and ask him where his cup removing stick is and remove the cups.

4. Then install the headset

5. Give him $5 and say thanks dude

Total time 10min in and out during lunch.

If he will do it right there for $5 ten let him do it. $25 is BS!!

You do not need the CK installation cup if the he has the park tool.

Or, If you live close to Indianapolis stop by my house. We'll git er' dun
If you drink beer, let me know and I'll have them cooking in the fridge for you.

I am on a MT dew and Red bull kick....

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
FXRob said:
If you've pressed in as many headsets as I have then paying the $100 for the Park headset press tool (on sale) has paid for itself in the time it has saved me and the convenience. A LBS charging $25 is rediculous for something that takes 2 minutes.
Agreed. $25 is a bit much unless they are doing something else too, like installing the fork, wheel, and brake. Shouldn't $25 get you at LEAST 20 minutes of labor? Installing a headset is easier and faster than changing a tube. Maybe they do it really really slow..... :rolleyes: :p :D

But if it's your only bike shop, hey you just gotta deal with it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm with Bonkey here...

bonkey said:
Agreed. $25 is a bit much unless they are doing something else too, like installing the fork, wheel, and brake. Shouldn't $25 get you at LEAST 20 minutes of labor? Installing a headset is easier and faster than changing a tube. Maybe they do it really really slow..... :rolleyes: :p :D

But if it's your only bike shop, hey you just gotta deal with it.
$25 is high, we install ours on new frames for...um...$5.00 BUT, and a big but here, thats because we don't have to do anything but install the headset, no fork removal, no handlebar/stem removal, etc. So, what I'm getting at is ask them a different question: "If I brought my frame in for a headset install, what would that cost me?" If still $25, find a friend with a park headset press.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point Esquire! The bike is complete. The job will require the shop to take the bars an stem off. Pop the current headset and install the new. 40 dollars for the other two shops makes me cringe. 25 I can handle. Since the trend I'm reading is they really can't screw it up, I'll take it to the place I bought it. If they do screw it up, my satisfaction is guaranteed there. I would love to do it myself, but I don't plan to change headsets that often. My stumpy, I didn't get changed until it's 5th year. If I didn't get turned on to a King headset, I probably wouldn't have changed it. Appreciate the offer ZR. Thanks fellas for the advice.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If...

95Stumpy said:
Good point Esquire! The bike is complete. The job will require the shop to take the bars an stem off. Pop the current headset and install the new. 40 dollars for the other two shops makes me cringe. 25 I can handle. Since the trend I'm reading is they really can't screw it up, I'll take it to the place I bought it. If they do screw it up, my satisfaction is guaranteed there. I would love to do it myself, but I don't plan to change headsets that often. My stumpy, I didn't get changed until it's 5th year. If I didn't get turned on to a King headset, I probably wouldn't have changed it. Appreciate the offer ZR. Thanks fellas for the advice.
If its a 575, the frame is already faced, so its not a big deal for installing a King headset. But still, I guess taking all that stuff off takes a bit of time, and time is money... :D The price for the headset, I cringe at, from one of them, what, $140.00??? WTF are they smoking? I think $129 is high, but I still remember when they were $90.00 and we could get them for much less then that even.

Confused a bit on the corporate politics. A direct King account (I recommend, and not through QBP), is easy to get for a shop with any credibility at all, so why don't they carry King headsets? PM me if you don't want to get into it publically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts