Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
That looks awesome!

I've ridden far more treacherous stretches along our riverside where the trail might be all of 12 inches wide... the secret is not to look down and focus on where you're going.

I used to take a shortcut to my friend's cabin in B.C. and this involved driving on an old logging road that was cut right into the face of a mountain... if one was to drive off the road you wouldn't colllide with anything until you hit the river half a mile below.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that's Hans Rey and Steve Peat, so of course they're gonna ride nuts stuff.

Personally I wouldn't ride it, the risk involved would outweigh the fun. If you mess up you die, and that's just unnecessary in my book.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Eh, just water if you fall...sorta. That wheelie on the edge is really damned scary though. It's pretty funny when you see the exposure that you've ridden on from a different profile, like Red Box at Mt. Wilson for example. You just concentrate on staying on the trail you don't have a chance to see how insanely high up from the bottom you are (and you're usually better off not knowing).

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
It's the Cliffs of Moher, in Ireland. 600' high, the ledge from 6' to 6" wide.

Here's their account of it:

http://www.hansrey.com/latestadventures.htm

In the late afternoon we arrived at the Cliffs of Moher, which were for me the main reason why I wanted to come to Ireland. The 600 feet tall cliffs are entirely vertical and the edge is very abrupt. My dream was to ride along the small narrow ledge that was between 6 feet to 6 inches wide and looked like a long curvy balcony without a handrail.

Upon arrival at the Cliffs we had to postpone those plans rapidly. The weather was getting worse and herds of tourists were all over the place, plus the security guy wouldn't let anybody near the edge of the cliffs.

We changed our plans and did a pub crawl instead, hoping for better conditions and luck in the early morning, before anybody else would get there...[SNIP]

Locals warned us of the upward drafts, that blow people off the cliffs - and sure enough the wind was picking up over night. We got an early start, and even the extra strong italian coffee I brewed couldn't clear our heads. Even though the conditions and weather were less than good, this was our one and only chance to ride the cliffs, so we did. It was a rad feeling to ride along the exposed edges and jump over some of the gaps. As time went on we started to feel more and more comfortable and daring. Shortly after we got done it started pouring rain, nonetheless we continued the trail on top of the cliffs, which was one of the more spectacular trails I have ridden. We followed it all the way to Hag's Head. From there we drove to RV to County Kerry in the South of Ireland.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.